3 months in a Chinese hotel....

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
I will be moving to an apartment at the JW Marriott in Chongqing China this Friday and I will be there for 12 weeks, before heading to Europe for a month of vacation. I really want to make this time count, drop a few (6-10 maybe) pounds, gain some strength and work on my running. Normally when I'm home, I do StrongLifts 5x5, martial arts (krav maga), and run at total of ~5 times a week though I've been slacking/traveling/busy since just before Christmas and not doing much.

The hotel has an...ok gym. Treadmills, basic machines, a small free weight area and a big pool. The dumbbells go up plenty high, but there are no barbells, cages (not even smith), leg press machine etc. There is a mixed pulley machine thing that you can set up to squat (with the pulleys on each side), but if you can't clean it, you can't squat it and it seems super awkward.

Any suggestions for a plan/routine? Maybe with standard machines? Ideas for progression? For instance, adding 10lbs at a time to a dumbbell bench is NOT easy. I also HATE the treadmill, can never run as far or as fast, but that can't be helped with the bad air and uneven/slippery streets. I will also be working at least 12 hour days, so if I need a day, I'll take a day.

I'm thinking:
M,T,Th,F morning: jog, sprints/walk, T25, or swim
M,W,F evening: Random mix of dumbbell lifting, body weight (pushups, chinups, pullups if I can work up to them) and machines.
Saturday: Something. Maybe just a hike around the city or get out somewhere where I can actually run.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Hmm... maybe consider You Are Your Own Gym? And lunges?
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Certainly some body weight exercises and accessories with the Dumbbells - I have an app called "workouts" on my phone. It's like boot camp lol. The first time I did the 30 min full body option, I was hurting the next day. And I was soaked in sweat. It's all about how much effort you put into it with that app (I've been lazy about the speed used on days I just don't have it, but when I punch it out, it's killer). It sounds like you have plenty of things that'll be good enough. It may not be your first choices, but you can certainly progress with what you have access to. Good luck!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about China, so this may not even be possible, but I know sometimes the larger hotel chains have agreements with local gyms that allow guests to use them. Maybe something you could check in to.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    ooh, I'm jealous re the time in China - I love China. I think you should be able to work out a decent bodyweight and dumbbell routine. I know what you mean about increasing bench weights using dumbbells, but maybe you can increase reps rather than weight, till you're strong enough to go up in weight?

I wouldn't try running, personally. The air, for a start, but mostly the pavements! The non broken up ones have a tendency to be slippery, for some reason. Ha, I just looked back and see you said exactly that. So - yeah, treadmill I'm afraid.

Have fun! Sounds like you'll be working hard, mind you. Can I be nosy and ask what you do?