Pre-op diet question

jcavanna2
jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
Hi,

I am starting my pre-op diet today - limited to 1200 calories max, 4oz of a lean protein a day, and 3 protein shakes/day. I am also allowed 2 c mom starchy vegetables like a salad and 2 TB dressing. I am only at around 600 calories..any suggestions what else I can eat? Am thinking of going to Starbucks and getting a decaf nonfat latte or something...but am at a loss

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    If you are under the calories, don't sweat it. Your shakes should be getting you there, are you mixing them with milk? As long as you aren't feeling hungry don't add the calories just to add them.
  • jcavanna2
    I had a RTD this morning but at work I don't have milk so I will have to mix it with water and I have 1 c of chicken broth with me. Right now I am so hungry...
  • NicoleL874
    @jcavanna2 Is there any way to bring milk with you? Is there a cafeteria to go look to see if they have anything? Even if it's a hard boiled egg, or a salad bar with no dressing (lemon juice or just vinegar should be fine)
  • jcavanna2
    We don't have a cafeteria so that will be tough. Going to go to VitaminShoppe and get the syntax nectar so that I have another option during the day which may fill me up more. If I eat a hard boiled egg it counts toward my daily chewable food - only allowed 4 oz lean protein or 2 eggs a day so I am trying to save that for dinner when I will be so hungry

It's gonna be a tough couple of weeks...but if I have a shake at lunch and syntax nectar a little later maybe I can make it through. Chicken broth was completely unappealing to me unfortunately but ate it anyway
  • char_barr
    char_barr Posts: 125 Member
    I started my pre op yesterday too! It is so hard but we have to do what we have to do :) I also have to try the nectar, right now I have unjury chocolate, chicken soup, and unflavored. I think they are fine but do want to switch it up. I am allowed 6 servings of certain chewable food (small portion) and I forgot about egg whites - yay!

Good luck, hang in there, and surgery date will be here before we know it!
  • NicoleL874
    Remember if in a pinch and you NEED something, get something like an egg, or broiled chicken. Whether it works or not. Don't let yourself get too hungry to the point of caving and eating crappy.

The first three days were the worst for me. Headache, grumpy, tired, and HANGRY. After that, the next 11 days were pretty easy. I was allowed 4 carnation instant breakfast shakes, and up to 400 calories of low carb veggies per day. Only vinegar/citrus juice as a condiment. It was a long two weeks, lol.

At 5 1/2 months out, I look back and am grateful to struggle through it because it was such a drop in the bucket compared to the time since.

Good luck ladies, you got this!
  • jcavanna2
    Thanks guys! I am following my doctor's program to the letter so even if I am starving I won't eat anything but a protein shake because Indont want to mess anything up.

I bought the syntax nectar in lemon tea yesterday. I put it in a shaker cup but there were still clumps - did you both find this as well or do you mix it another way? @char-Barr - did you find the unjury chicken soup to be very salty? That's what some reviews have said.

I can't await to get through this next 2 weeks - I know it will be worth it! My doctors office said nothing about marinades but I am trying to limit to soy, lemon juice, Worcestershire and spices. Hoping to speak to a nutritionist soon...but my surgical nutrition appt is next week!
  • NicoleL874
    I use my ninja with all my protein. I know some people will put in small amounts of powder into shaker bottles at a time to lessen clumping.

I followed my doctor's orders, so I get it. I just always had in the back of my mind a back up plan that was low fat, low carb, high protein. I was allowed to eat sugar-free jello, I still have a drawer full in my fridge. You'll get through, the head games are the hardest part.
  • jcavanna2
    Agree and appreciate the support! The nutritionist told me now that I am allowed unlimited non-starchy vegetables so at least I know I can eat more salad. I wish I liked jello but I don't :(

My biggest issue with the protein is when I am at work I can't blend anything so shaker bottles are where I am right now until I get home but maybe I will put it in the shaker bottle in stages
  • char_barr
    I have a shaker bottle with the blender ball and that seems to work the best at getting rid of the clumps for the unjury. (aside from my Ninja) The chicken soup is a bit salty, but I get thru it. I made the unjury jello recipe, but haven't tried it yet. I have spin class today at 12:45 and I am hoping that it helps curb my hunger a bit.
  • jcavanna2
    I have one of those shakers as well. Gonna keep trying different ways to get the clumps out because the lemon tea tastes good. I LOVE to spin - though I was up all last night so I didn't go today but will go on Thursday and I see my trainer tomorrow.

I hate to admit this but I bought sugar free hard candy and jelly beans yesterday thinking it may help but now that I know I can have unlimited salad I plan to bring that tomorrow as well. After work I am hitting up the grocery store to buy small bottles of skim milk and unsweetened almond milk so I can make my shake a bit better.

After today, bye bye SF candy...lol
  • Gypsigirl71
    Gypsigirl71 Posts: 2 Member
    I started my pre-op diet Monday and had my appt with my dietician yesterday. My sleep study this Saturday. Wow! Things are moving so fast I'm freaking out just a bit. I'm 100% committed and will do anything to make sure I stay on track....including drinking that horrid (I mean d-lish) Premier protein shake. Everyone loves the taste of chalk right, or is it just me?
  • NicoleL874
    Ha! @GypsiGirl06 out of all the protein shakes I've had, Premiere is the best! I mix it every morning with coffee and that's my breakfast! Good luck after, a lot of people enjoy them before and can't drink them after. Hopefully, your taste buds will work the opposite! (try dumping in a mug and heating for hot chocolate, or put the whole damn tetrapac in the fridge for about an hour for a Frosty consistency)
  • jcavanna2
    Ha ha - LOVE the chalk taste! I bought muscle milk pro series and once they are done - no more! I love Eat The Bear - 24g of protein, 100 cals, 0 fat, 1 carb and 0 sugar

Good luck! Fortunately my dietician emailed and said I can have unlimited non starchy vegetables. Not a veggie person but I do like salad so going to add that to my daily intake for lunch and dinner
  • char_barr
    I have lost 9 pounds since Monday on this - but I am starving. My nutritionist wants us to only have whey protein isolate as the first ingredient on any of our protein drinks, so I haven't tried premier. If I every get my hiney in gear, I will try the syntrax nectars. We have a shop that gives the nutritionists patients a discount - and her approved brands are listed with them, and they will blend samples for you before you buy :) I just need to get there without my kids in tow!
  • jcavanna2
    @char_barr - I am going to weigh in on Saturday when I go to my WW meeting. Curious if your nutritionist limited you to a certain number of calories a day and if they let you have any solid protein?

I have to stick to 1200 cals/day or less and I can have 4 oz of a lean meat, 1/2 c low fat cottage cheese or 1/2 c low fat plain Greek yogurt and I can have non starchy vegetables

I have never been so excited to eat a salad in my life..lol!
  • char_barr
    My calories should fall under 1000 a day - I have to have 4 protein shakes (3 milk or almond milk based) then I can have up to 6-8 servings of: 1/2 cu veggie; 1/2 piece fruit, 3 oz lean meat, plain low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, small salad, 1/2 cup oatmeal, unsweetened applesauce. It sounds pretty close to yours. I am loving my lunchtime salad too. I hate yogurt and cottage cheese, I tried, but can't stand it - never could. Dinner has been a bit of a bear, but I figure it always will be - I still have to feed my husband and kids....its life.
  • jcavanna2
    I am with you 1000% - I am
    Fortunate that I got my husband on my fitness pal and we eat pretty much the same dinner. He gets to eat mashed or whatever but it's fine. Someday we can have that too if we can tolerate it and also limited quantity