Looking for Tall Friends

Options
majoki
majoki Posts: 151 Member
I'm back again on MFP and looking for some friend motivation! I'm 37 y/o, married and no kids, ~5'11" and ~174 lbs. I plan to be around 155-ish again. I was there 2 years ago, but changing careers from being on my feet all day to sitting at a desk all day - plus being able to snack all day - helped the 20lbs creep on.

I'll be on every day logging food and reading posts, so it would be nice to follow along with others who are trying to get fit and lose weight too!

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Totally been there. In 2012 I got to 143. 5'11. Felt amazing. Met my BF, started slacking on the good habits. In April 2013 I started a new job and started eating the free food provided. By December 2014 I was up to 166.4. Felt horrible, even though my highest was 193.

Today I'm 151.2 and 1.2lbs away from my goal of 150. My favorite size 6 Gap jeans now fit. My muffin top is gone and feel like me again.

I did all this without exercise. In the winter I find it easier to control my diet to lose the weight. We are now starting to see signs of Spring in Ohio so I'll get out a bit more and walk now.

You can do this. Consistency and Patience are the two things you must have. Good luck!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm another 5'11" although I am quite a bit tubbier than either of you at the moment, weighing in at about 210. OOF. I look pretty decent in the 170's, and seriously slammin' in the 150's. At 42 years of age and with some unfortunate health issues (Lyme disease, fibroids causing some issues *ahem*, and some hormone problems), the weight is just piling on. I'm trying to slow down the weight gain at least, but it's been hard. I am going to add you two and hope that we can provide support and motivation!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I started out at 196.2 @amandammmq so not too far from where you are now... I started in early Feb, and am now down to 178.8

While I look better, theres no amazing transformation taking place..the perils of being so tall... the weight hides itself well, but then so does the weight loss! But yeah, my goal is to get to the 150s too...slamming is right!!!
  • hamburgerthighs
    hamburgerthighs Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and in my forties. About a year and a half ago, I weighed 165 and counting. I have a very small frame for a tall person and very little natural muscle tone, so that was a lot for me. In my youth, 20s and 30s, my weight hovered around 140, give or take, without much effort. Then came the 40's. With MFP and the support of a friend at work, I got back down to my ideal weight. Now I've switched jobs and spend about 3 hours commuting in the car every day. The weight is starting to creep back up. So far, I've only gained back 7 lbs, but I know I need to stop before it gets to 10 or I'm in trouble. Why does it seem like maintaining my weight is harder than getting it off?
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm 6'0, currently at 204 pounds, and looking to get down to 160-165.
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I'm 5'11 current 240, trying to get down to 160ish.
  • dorothyalmaraz
    dorothyalmaraz Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am 5"11, late 40's and my current weight is 186. I started my latest weight loss journey in January again. I joined WW to regroup and retrain my eating habits but really MFP is how I track and continue to loose. I am down 32 pounds and people are just starting to notice my weight loss. I have been on MFP for about 5 years on and off. I have lost and put on the same 10 -20 pounds over that time period for the most part, This time I am ready to get to the range of my healthy BMI. After 32 pounds I have not quite dropped to the next size. I tried on a 14 yesterday and they were snug. I'm a bit frustrated but I do know that as a tall woman, I can gain a fair amount and still fit, or stuff myself into the same size. I am excited to think about being in the 170's and for the first time since I was in my 20's, I can almost see the 160's or 150's. It's a dim light at the end of a long tunnel but I can barely make it out and I am going to try so hard to get there. I sought out this group because it is frustrating being so tall and not seeing the physical evidence of multiple sizes dropped and really I have worked so hard and people are just now noticing? It feels so good to pick up a 30pound weight and realize I don't have to carry that around every day. Anyway, feel free to add me as a friend and thank you all for posting something to help me stay motivated. Also, good luck to you all in your weight loss journey! I can do this, we can do this and being tall is a wonderful thing!
  • deefro
    deefro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 6'1 and 195 lbs. I look forward to being in the 170's again too. Your post was great. Let the journey begin! deefro
  • JessaWannaEatEverything
    JessaWannaEatEverything Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'9, 187lbs, trying to get down to 170 to start. Feel free to add me!
  • jennygarofalo
    jennygarofalo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me- 5 10 149 lbs.
  • elsielorpu
    elsielorpu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be added please. I'm 20 days in and have a long way to go. I don't know my ultimate goal yet. For now, my near goal is to get to 200. I'm 37 in August and had a baby 10 months ago. I currently weigh 224. It would be nice to have other tall people and get an idea of what they eat and do to get in shape.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Update: what's new? Now it's been 4.5 years since my original post and apparently I'm down 3 pounds. Lol! Let's see, I'm 42 and I finally have a kid now <3 - he just turned 16 (got him when he was 14). My goal weight is now 160 because I think 155 looks too skinny on my body (I'll reassess when I make it to 160 though).
    Most of my mfp friends are listed as "inactive" at this point, but I see @amandammmq 's posts in my feed sometimes. It's funny, Amanda, I'm now the age you were when I started this thread. I hope you're doing well! :)
  • newgirl512
    newgirl512 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sounds like things are going well for you! I’m still trying to lose my last 7 pounds!!! 5’11” and 156. Oh how I want that 149 number on the scale. I’m 57 so I have a few years on you! My daughter tells me I should just consider these few extra pounds as life pounds. You know, dinner out, drinks with friends, having fun living pounds. As hard as they are to lose, she may be right!