Breeches / Jods - what do you ride in?

Options
BuffyBourbon
BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
My name is Buffy and I'm 40. (Phew, that's hard to think, let alone say!).

One of the surprises as i'm getting older, is that my skin is SO much more sensitive than it used to be. As a youngster I would spend 8-12 hours a day in the saddle, in whatever jeans or pants I happened to throw on that morning, and none the worse for wear.

About 8 years ago I had the first of 7 wrist surgeries, and had roughly two years where I couldn't ride at all, then a couple more where there was ONE horse I could manage, and only if he was groomed saddled and bridled to me and led to me ready to ride. When I started riding regularly again, I discovered that I could NOT wear my standard undergarments, let alone jeans, to ride in. Boy shorts are now REQUIRED, as well as proper riding pants. Who knew?

Anyway, I found Fuller Fillies and loaded up on their breeches, which were fantastic - and also bought a load of clearanced Kentucky Jods. Now the breeches no longer fit, and i've sold them all minus the two pair that were too small when I bought them, they fit now. My Jods are at the tailors getting shrunken, but theyr'e nothing fancy, in fact it's likely that i'll be paying more for the alterations than I paid for the jods themselves!

I'm just now finding myself in the size range where I don't NEED to be searching for plus jods... the higher range of many "normal" sized breeches are going to do just fine. SO -- What sorts do you ladies love? I'm thinking that i'm going to treat myself when I finish losing to a weeks' worth of new pants! I really like the look of the bootcut breeches that are popular now, and they'll help me fit in at the saddleseat barn where I ride. Advise me so I can plan and have my goal! (And watch sales over the next 6-8 months)

Replies

• Snowdenfarm
    Snowdenfarm Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do not have any really good suggestions. I have a pair of older boot cut Kerrits tights that I like a lot. They are thin, but firmly stretchy (think support hose) and hide a world of sin. I also like the Irideon tights, but they do not hide much. Super soft and comfortable. For actual breeches, the only ones that I have found that work for me without altering are the Ovation Taylored breeches, but that is because they are cut loose in the hips, thighs and smaller in the waist. I am going to need to find another brand/style as they do not come in white which I need for shows.