Feeling low

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
I have an acute knee thing , not too bad - urgent care doc thought maybe a grade 1 or 2 sprain, mcl or maybe meniscus. Needs to be confirmed. I'm not wasting my time w another sports med and going right to my physio for diagnosis. I'm resting for the next few days until I see her though, too much pain to walk more than I really have to.

UC doc suggested using a cane, and I can't even do that bc I have chronic RSI issues in my opposite wrist, elbow, and shoulder. And a new one in the elbow on the same side. No explanations for those or for the patellofemoral syndrome either.

I'm frustrated with having no answers as to why these keep happening and never healing. Definitely orthopedic, bc blood tests are clean, other than HLA B27 - which apparently might predispose me to injuries, but might not. Ehlers danlos was mentioned, but all my docs said there's no point in doing the genetic testing bc there's nothing they could do in that case anyway. I disagree - if that's what it is, it might help me get listened to when an image comes back inconclusive. And I've read that it can mean a slightly different approach to PT.

Uncertainty about what my limits is really gets to me. Almost as much as the physical limitations. Although right now I definitely resent being stuck inside. I am staying with family for a short time because cooking and cleaning and laundry are a bit much for me to handle right now.

I'm scared about what this all might mean for the kind of life I can have. I'm not young, but not yet 40, and still have more I want to do. It could always be worse, of course, and I guess I'm not owed any particular kind of life. But it's hard to accept limitations, especially when you don't understand what they are.

Replies

• jbrayto13
    jbrayto13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hang in there tomorrow will be better!
    How many times I've heard that!
    The truth is we all have up and down days no matter who you are, the thing is to get past the pain and frustration and move forward
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @jbrayto13 :) You're absolutely right :)
  • traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I not fond of my body not workingvlike it used to. All we can do is keep going....I hope you herd answers soon. You deserve them.
  • traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That should say....I hope you get answers soon
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have you found any answers Tomatoey? Chronic pain and limitations are extremely tough to deal with especially in the beginning. I wish I had good advice but the best I have is remember that when you need to rest, you aren't being lazy, you are resting with a purpose-to heal.
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't get used to pain. Ever! Tired of it! Not only pain but the loss of self esteem, confidence and sense of well being. I rebel to a point. I have RA. Diagnosed last year but I've obviously had it much longer. They don't tell you how toxic the medications can be. You end up learning in your own. Doctors act like "hey at least you know now". But the fact is there isn't a cure. You get by day by day. I'm looking into other ways of dealing with it other than poisoning myself but right now I don't have anything. I rest when