Pre-marathon anxiety?!?

Options
VanderTuig1976
VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
Hi,

I have signed up for a marathon (my first) on May 1st. I started training in Dec. and have been loosely following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan (I follow the long-run schedule but run more weekly miles than the plan calls for.) I run approx. 50 miles a week (give or take a few). I have completed all of the long runs and plan to repeat the 19 and 20 milers before I start my taper. The only thing I haven't done is hill training and the course does have some rolling hills. I ran hills over the summer (much steeper than the marathon course) and plan to get a few short hill runs in before the marathon but will not have time to aggressively hill train.

Based off of things I have read online and in this forum, I believe I'm ready but.....I am having major doubts!!!! I'm not sure if it's because it's my first one and I don't have any experience to draw on.

I am having nightmares about the race (feet sinking in sand and not able to move them, not making the time cut-off, running out of gel, etc.) I wake up at night in a panic and can't stop thinking about it. I also have thoughts about being the slowest runner and getting lost on the course.

I've put a lot of hard work in and want to enjoy this experience but the negative thoughts and nightmares are really weighing on me.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to get through it?

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    When you train to a long run that is less than the marathon distance, it is normal to have some anxiety about being able to run the full distance. I had that for my first marathon, and I had done a 22 mile run. No matter how many people told me, "If you can run 20 miles you can run a marathon," I wasn't positive until after I did it.

I didn't have the magnitude of anxiety you describe, perhaps because I didn't give myself as much time as you did. I signed up for Buffalo 2015 (end of May) in late March 2015, after I'd already done a 20 mile training run.

I can tell you I ran Buffalo after having a peak week of 41 miles. I finished, I ran all the way, and I was more beat up than I understood until many weeks later. I like your 50 miles per week as preparation much better than what I did for my first marathon.

I can't help with the hill anxiety. Buffalo was pretty flat compared to what I'd trained on, and I hardly noticed what passes for a hill there. If it helps, I've never done aggressive hill training; but I've run a lot of rolling hills. That has been good enough for some half marathons and 15Ks that have hills that are locally regarded as difficult. The first marathon I'll run with any noticeable hills is in a couple weeks, and I'll find out then if I've prepared for them adequately.
  • wtgrey
    wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are running 50 miles per week, and knocking out 19 and 20 milers before the race, then it sounds like you are certainly prepared! There are many factors that can impact a marathon completion, and training (the most important factor) is something that you are doing well.

On top of the training, I would be sure to load carbohydrates for a couple of days before the race, and then plan on using gels during the race. How many gels you will need is something you can figure out when you do your 20 milers. To figure out how many gels I need, I add up the number I use in a 20 miler, and then add three more for miles 20, 22, and 24.

Anxiety is normal prior to attempting something this big. Just imagine yourself crossing the finish line!

One final thought - you have put in hundreds of miles of training, and 20 mile runs, all without crowd support, aid stations, or the promise of a medal at the end. You have already done the hardest part, and I think you will find race day to be a wonderful experience.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

I am having nightmares about the race (feet sinking in sand and not able to move them, not making the time cut-off, running out of gel, etc.) I wake up at night in a panic and can't stop thinking about it. I also have thoughts about being the slowest runner and getting lost on the course.

I've put a lot of hard work in and want to enjoy this experience but the negative thoughts and nightmares are really weighing on me.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to get through it?

You've put in the training, now you've got to do the hardest part: trust your training! Focus on the things you can control, and what you can't. You can control having enough gels (always bring one extra just in case!), you can beat the cut-off, your feet won't sink in sand (unless this is some kind of beach marathon.... then that might happen). Don't let the unknowns get to you. You won't be the slowest and you won't get lost -- that's what course marshalls/volunteers are for!

Focus on taking in and enjoying the experience, and put that negative self-talk in its place. During a taper (which starts soon for me, I am also running a May 1 marathon), it can be especially hard to switch off those negative thoughts. Whenever I know I'm digging myself into that hole, I remind myself that I worked hard, that I trained well, and whatever happens on race day happens.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As everyone above has stated, you've done the hardest part...the training. Now trust it. It is structured a certain way to derive the benefits during the actual 26 miles. You may not understand the why's of doing things a certain way in training (yet), but it works to get you through.

Remember, about the only thing you cannot control is the weather or the make up of the field of runners that you'll be amongst. But you have a great deal of control over many other things, like what you wear, what you take as supplemental energy, how fast you run (particularly at the beginning of the race).

Going out too fast is probably the one thing to really be on the look out for. A person I know, training to run her first marathon at the same time I was training for mine, did all the training and it was clear that she was much faster than I was (and that I may ever be given the difference in age). Realistically, she thought that her time would be around 3:45-4:00 (or about an 8:35-9:09 pace). She went out in a race a couple of weeks before I ran mine and bonked at mile-16. The last ten miles were "brutal."

She finished in 5:35, nearly two-hours behind her best optimistic pace. She was disheartened by that. I finished in 5:10 and I ended up with a minor tear of my left Achilles tendon from rolling my foot downhill at mile-14 by stepping on a sweetgum seed pod. I was on pace up to that point for a 5:00 finish, so even though I couldn't run effectively uphill, I still didn't lose too much time. So what happened to her and why did she end up finishing a flatter course than mine in a time much slower than mine? She was caught up in the speed of the crowd and didn't monitor her pace because she felt fine.

That is right up to mile-16 and then the wheels fell off. But she was also running at a pace of around 7:30/mile, nowhere near what her training would support. So, two hours and 16-miles into her marathon, she was gassed and she spent the next 3:35 walking to the finish. She was one of those slow-moving zombies.

So, the best advice for your anxiety...monitor you pace at the start of the race, particularly in the first three miles. Don't be afraid to intentionally go slower. What extra energy you burn off then cannot be "recovered" later in the race. I've had that happened to me....once. Lesson learned.

Otherwise, if you trust your training, you'll do great!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    To add to what @STrooper said about going out too fast, my coach has provided me with a detailed strategy for running Boston. Snippets from that strategy:

Start - 6 miles: Elevation drops from 462 to 177 feet . . . don't brake, BUT DO NOT run it too fast! . . . do not go more than 10 seconds per mile faster than your average goal race pace during this stretch . . . or else it will come back to bite you in the butt. . . .

10 - 13.1 miles: Elevation drops from 177 to 137 feet. . . . Watch out for runners slowing down who went out too fast and are starting to come back to you . . .

It struck me that people who aren't even in their first marathon sometimes go out too fast and have it hurt them before they even get to the halfway point.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reassurance and advice - it really helps!!!! I think the anxiety stems from the fact that I have no previous experience to draw from and deep down I wonder if I can really do it (even though I've completed the training). I've also been on the fence about joining a pace group. My worries about not being able to keep up with the group have also, I think, contributed to my angst about the race. I have resigned myself to not have a specific time goal in mind and just focus on finishing and finishing well.