Experiences with cyproterone for hair growth?

Options
UMDavies
UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
Hi everyone,

I've been having trouble with hair growth on my upper lip and sideburn areas, and the doctor prescribed me cyproterone just before Christmas. It seems to be working (although it's still too early to properly tell) but it's causing me to break out in so many spots on my face :(

Does anyone else take cyproterone? Does the acne settle down? I'm thinking about asking to change to spironolactone but I've heard it makes you urinate a lot more. I eat a keto diet so I already feel like I pee ridiculously often anyway! I'm also not on the contraceptive pill (doesn't agree with me) and I read somewhere that you need to be taking it for spironolactone?

Any help or advice anyone could give me would be great! :)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I got super dehydrated on spiro - and muscle cramps, the whole 9. I don't know about the other, but I would never recommend spiro to anyone on keto. I have never heard anything about needing to take bcp with spiro. I was never asked about it.
  • artsyfarts700
    artsyfarts700 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been on spironolactone for years and it works great for me. I would get horrible cyst acne on my face. It was the only thing that worked for me. It also slowed the hair growth considerably. You have to drink lots of water and get your blood work routinely done to check your potassium.