Fueling for long distance runs (half marathon)

Options
sthoma13
sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
Hi all! Fairly new runner here - I have been training for about 3 months and just completed my first ever 10 miler. I am training to do a half marathon. I just bought a variety of Gu and Beans to start experimenting with fueling during the run so I don't hit that wall around mile 7-8. What kind do you like? How early do you take it? Do you prefer with caffeine or without? Just looking for conversation and to learn a bit from someone more experienced! Thanks!

- Stacey

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacey, welcome to the group! There's a really great ongoing discussion about fueling on the Long Distance Runners group here that I'd recommend checking out!
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you very much.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I like the caffeine ones early or not at all. I've recently switched to NUUN instead of Gatorade. I bought GU for some LR's but haven't tried it out yet.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,398 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacey,
    I don't like the GU and I can't take caffeine chews as i get headaches. Best to experiment before your race. I switched from Gatorade to NUUN but have been reading that runners tend to take to much fluids and end up with gastric issues while running. I don't drink race Gatorade as it is premixed and can upset stomachs. I take some raw honey and put it in a baggie, tuck it in my sports bra strap or in my flip belt. I use it around 40 minutes or so as needed. I also like Honey Stingers gel pack, They have it with pomegranite. I also have tried CF-7X which is a natural dehydrated fruit. What works for one runner, does not work for others. I know people that have a GU every 30 minutes...and others that have nothing.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    I started with Clift Shotblocks and liked them, but found when you are semi-winded trying to eat a little gummy block is sometimes harder than one would think. I switched to Gu Energy Gels (my favorites are Salted Caramel, Salted Watermelon, and Vanilla Bean). The Rock & Roll DC Half Marathon had different gels that I kind of liked, they are Glukos Energy Gels. The Gu Gels are very thick and some don't like that, the Glukos is like drinking water. I also like to have a water bottle with a Nuun tablet in there as well as one with water.
  • wtgrey
    wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Sthoma,

I think the first thing to do is to make sure your gels contain the right kind of sugar. The body primarily burns glucose for energy, so if you use gels that contain glucose (also may be labeled dextrose) then that is the most efficient way to get energy to your tissues.

Gels that contain sucrose must first be converted, in the intestines, into glucose and fructose. The glucose can be used for fuel, but the fructose must go to the liver to be converted into glucose before it can be used. Using glucose in the first place avoids all of these delays in getting you the energy that you need.

Once you figure out which gels contain glucose, I think the only thing to do is to find out which ones have a good taste and consistency. Some people like thicker ones, and others thinner ones. You can buy a few types at your local running store and find out which ones you like.

Finally, you may not need any gels at all during a half marathon. If you do need any, it will probably only be a couple. The average untrained person can store (and burn during a race), about 1500 kCal before hitting the wall. A person who has trained and carbo-loaded before a race can store as much as 3600 kCal of energy. If you have trained for a race, carbo-loaded the day before, and consumed a high carbohydrate breakfast before starting, you will probably be able to run 13.1 miles without consuming any calories at all.

Good luck in your training!

• 19MotherRunner80
    19MotherRunner80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    when I first started running half's I used to take 2, one at 7km and one at 14km. I would take one with caffeine and one without. Too much caffeine makes my tummy upset. Back then I finished in just over 2hrs. Now my time is down to 1:40 and I fine one gel is enough but same deal I split it up and eat half at around 1/3rd of the way and the other half at 2/3rds and I do a caffeinated one. It took me a lot of trial and error though to figure out what would work for me in terms of pre-race breakfast and fueling up and it seems to be quite different for everyone I know. Play around a bit in your long runs ahead of time and try and see what will work best for you!
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like either the cliff shot gels (razz, with caffeine) or the sport beans (again with caffeine).

tried the Gu - was too thick for me. Tried the clif blocks, too chewy and got stuck in my teeth.

I'll do a gel at 5, then split a packet of beans with half at 7 and the other half at 9. I'll do watered down gatorade for the last bit.