Man/womanbatical

Options
OS_KAT
OS_KAT Posts: 176 Member
Anyone ever done one of these? Basically, it's like a sabbatical, but just taking a break from dating. I'm thinking I need to step back and focus a bit more on myself these days. The people I have been dating have all turned out to be awful for me for various reasons. What do you guys think?

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't, I called it the gym. I think it's a good idea.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I always do that after major break ups. Now after 6 months, I'm getting in the mood again - but still working on myself first and foremost (and I have tons of things to sort out still)... So if anything comes, fine, if not - screw it I have tons of things to do anyway.
  • QueenofGuac
    QueenofGuac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hell to the yes! I'm all about this. Sometimes you need to take a little time to understand who you are and feel comfy in your own skin with or without a guy. Pick up a new hobby, or volunteer some where. Its seriously way better than wasting your time with guys that aren't for you. Men are great! But so are you - do it! :smile:
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I kind of do this just as a normal thing. I've never been the type to actively go seek relationships or dates. They just kind of come around randomly and I do my own thing during the "sabbatical".
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    yes. I definitely take them and have been on a rather long one now. usually they last for a couple months but this one, over a year! :D I'll go back when I'm ready. or when "he" finds me. lol
  • OS_KAT
    OS_KAT Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I meant more along the lines of actively discouraging dating. I don't really look for relationships, since lord knows I don't have time for that!! I've been more of a take it as it comes along sort of girl, but maybe that isn't the best way to be either. Honestly, if I tried to add one more thing to my life at the moment, I'm pretty sure I would go insane! Taking a manbattical just ended up working out best for me anyway...perhaps when my career is slightly further along, I'll be more open to it.
  • TwistedRider
    TwistedRider Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Can I take a single-batical?? >:)

Seriously though, you have to do what feels right and good for you.. if that means a break, then do it. Getting your head together is rather important to dealing with other people in any situation.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would do it.

I'm 29 and have never had a boyfriend, but am thinking I may need to do this myself. I got myself stuck in a year long "situationship" with a co-worker that I was head over heels for. We just were in the talking stage, never went on a date or hung out, but I fell for him really hard. I heard through the grapevine at work that he was thinking of asking someone out. Long story short, in the end he decided he didn't want to date me and he had either found someone else he liked better or wanted to find someone he liked better. I don't know his exact reasoning for reaching that decision. I've heard him talking to a lot of his buddies at work about him deciding not to date me, and from what I've overheard it sounds like his decision is all based on something that happened a few weeks prior, which if he would listen to me, turns out to be a misunderstanding. But he won't talk to me and tell me whats going on so I can explain anything to him. I'm kind of grasping at straws based on what I hear from "talk". It kills me because practically everyone in the workplace (I don't know about his buddies) thought that I was perfect for him and that he's making a mistake. Never having a boyfriend and this being the one guy I actually would have said yes to dating, just adds insult to injury.