Snacks

Options
Tell me more about your snacks. I am still in the 3 "meals" a day mode with 1 snack. I would like to break up my day more with snacks.

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I eat to my macros. I've been working with multiple nutritionists and my trainer to get them where they work best for me. I do not pay for the fancy MFP, so I set them the best I can.

Mon - Thurs, I'm at work from 7am - 2pm. I have no lunch break, but I do get 10 minutes per hour. I take my macros and divide it up for the day into mini-meals, or "snacks".

For example, today I had coffee with a Premier Protein shake and coconut oil for "breakfast." (I JUST finished this at noon)

At my 9:30am break I had an Oikos Triple 0 yogurt for a snack.

At my 12:30pm break I have 2 ounces of roasted turkey and 2 ounces of a sweet potato mash that I made with added protein.

When I get to the gym I have a protein and fruit shake that I will drink as I get started, then add water to throughout my 1:15 that I'm there.

On my way home (I live 30 min from the gym and on Tuesdays need a snack after working with my trainer) I have a half protein bar. These suckers are huge, so half is more than enough.

Tonight, for dinner, I have a half of an unwich from Jimmy John's from my weekend.

I do not respond well to wheat, so I will not eat it. If you can, have at it.

Other snacks I go to are protein chips with hummus (1/2 bag and 1 oz or prepacks), Ostrim sticks, lite babybel cheese wheels, baby peppers with guacamole (or hummus), deli meat and cheese rolled up, tuna packet with hummus or greek yogurt or guac mixed in and divded into two. There's always some protein bars, or bites, depending on what fits your nutritionals. Sometimes, I pick a dip (hummus or guac) and microwave turkey pepperoni til crisp and chip-like. There are also Cello Whisps sold at Costco that are pure parmesan cheese and work great to dip.

Honestly, I eat more protein and carbs (which means more calories) than my surgeon's office wants, but I'm currently 6 lbs under his MAY 20th goal for me, so I'm doing what feels best for my body. They even admit that my workouts are harder and longer than most patients. I'm constantly tweaking things, but have beat all my stalls quickly.

And welcome to the Nicole Novellas. lol
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Right now I am in pre-op diet mode so not snacking on anything other than broth and protein shakes, though I was using protein bars and almonds prior to the pre-op diet. Also, the babybel cheese or laughing cow is good on whatever you like - I would use WASA crackers (2-3), or Melba toast. Yogurt was another go to snack for me. I also have a nonfat decaf Starbucks something or another which is what I am going to have in about 1/2 hour.
  • kimberlytedquist
    kimberlytedquist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. Thank you for the breakdowns and ideas -- right now I'm journaling for my nutritionist. I honestly only used to eat one big meal, maybe 2 meals a day, so right now it's to me eating as I should. I meet with my nutritionist again in a week. I have until August so we are going slow; but I very badly want this all to work ;)
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    @kimberlytedquist Ok, seriously PRE-op. At that point, I just worked off of the MFP goals for nutrition. I looked to see where they set me and tried my best to hit them. At that point I didn't understand or try to figure out my macros. I changed my eating starting August 25. At that point I completely cut out fast food. I still allowed myself dinner out once a week, and didn't worry so much about calories at that point. I had NO fried food starting September 15. I made small changes as I went along, cutting out alcohol on September 30. My pre-op diet was October 1 - 14, surgery on 10/15. You're doing it the right way, small choices, try and figure things out now. If you have more specific questions, let us know!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I have to say Nicole has been a wealth of information and a great resource . She is incredibly helpful
  • char_barr
    char_barr Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Double kudos is right for Nicole!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    Anytime ladies! Seriously! I've said it before, I'm typically here during my work hours, if you need me on a weekend, I get the email notification and will always log in when I can, so send me a message!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Appreciate that...and same goes for me :)