In the zone or under?

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
Does anyone strive to get into the "under zone" on your fitbit dashboard or do you prefer to stay "in the zone"? I'm always looking to get under, just a mental thing I guess.

I know you can remove this tile, but was curious where y'all tend to fall by the end of the day.

Replies

• Crstlm3
    Crstlm3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Usually always under. I think I went into body starvation mode. Never lost any weight.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I tend to move through them backwards. I'm usually "over" early morning, because I pre-log food. By mid-day, I'm "in" and by the end of the day, I'm usually "under" or still "in" the zone if I'm actively eating at maintenance.

@Crstlm3 As dieters know it, there is no such thing as starvation mode. If you're not losing, you're overeating. It's that simple. There is *actual* starvation mode and I'm happy to discuss my firsthand experience with it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    I tend to move through them backwards. I'm usually "over" early morning, because I pre-log food. By mid-day, I'm "in" and by the end of the day, I'm usually "under" or still "in" the zone if I'm actively eating at maintenance.

@Crstlm3 As dieters know it, there is no such thing as starvation mode. If you're not losing, you're overeating. It's that simple. There is *actual* starvation mode and I'm happy to discuss my firsthand experience with it.

That's exactly how it happens for me.

And yeah, I didn't know how to address the previous post... Maybe just leave this link here.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

• MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under but it's pretty difficult on some days for me... @ a 500 calorie deficit I tend to be under or over, at 250 I'm usually always under.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance but still I'm always in the "under" zone. I think I'm afraid to trust all those step calories I earn. :/
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I hid that tile because it was messing with my mind. When I tried to use it, I was almost NEVER "in the zone," certainly not under it, yet I've been losing weight at a fairly steady pace. Fitbit would have me take 12,500 steps a day and eat just over 1,000 calories. Uh, no.

The MFP math seems to make more sense for me.

• Christine_72
    Options
    It seems you don't get IN the zone until you've burned off everything you've eaten, plus a few hundred extra!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Ideally, if you have your current stats and goal weight entered correctly, you should strive to be "in the zone". Your "zone" should be pretty close to MFP numbers though, if you have the same settings (ie. Fitbit food plan as Easy = MFP lose 0.5 pounds per week because both calculate a 250 calorie deficit). If yours is way off, I'd suggest checking those settings. :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    MzManiak wrote: »
    Ideally, if you have your current stats and goal weight entered correctly, you should strive to be "in the zone". Your "zone" should be pretty close to MFP numbers though, if you have the same settings (ie. Fitbit food plan as Easy = MFP lose 0.5 pounds per week because both calculate a 250 calorie deficit). If yours is way off, I'd suggest checking those settings. :smile:

Thanks I'll go in and double check
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I try to stay to the edge of 'just under' and 'in the zone'. That way I feel like I'm eating enough, but I'm keeping enough room for error in case I have some false steps from wielding a kitchen knife too enthusiastically when I'm cooking dinner.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I let MFP handle the eating goals, Fitbit the fitness related things.

No need attempting to follow 2 roads to the same destination - potentially confusing, many times aggravating, and just not a good idea if the man doesn't want to ask for directions.

That tile as a mere snapshot of that instant in time doesn't seem useful to that many people. I see so many remove it once they find out what's it's really for. And that's for purely Fitbit users. The Eating goal tile usually has more meaning for them, just like the MFP eating goal. Based on what's been done, and expected to be done.

By the end of the day trying to reach eating goal (goals are things to reach, right) - the 2 usually match if setup correctly, and then in-the-zone.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ok i am new to Fitbit and have been confused by this but I think I am starting to understand. So, for example, if my deficit is set at 500 but it says I am over my goal that just means that I have not burned enough calories and i am at less than a 500 calorie deficit for the day. Is that correct?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    At that exact moment in time between eating and burning, with the 500 being pro-rated - yes.

So 500 / 24 = 20.8 cal/hr.

If noon and you burned up till then 1000 cal - (20.8x12) = about 750 eating goal.

If you only had breakfast till then - show as way under goal.
    If you just had lunch and logged it - could show as over goal by some amount.

By dinner probably same situation.

That's why usually easier to use MFP for what it's better for - eating goals.
    Ignore Fitbit's info regarding eating levels.

Besides, do it couple weeks using MFP, pretty easy.
    Lunch time it says you have say 1400 calories left - you know your lunches are always around 400 cal - there's 1000 left for snacks and dinner say.
    If change of lunch plan, same thing, you know 1400 left between lunch and dinner - you figure out if lunch is going to be bigger than normal.
    If you get more active by dinner - then you know you'll have more then too.

Trying to match eating level to burn level at any point during the day you may happen to look at it is actually a silly idea, even meals usually lag behind unless you believe in really big breakfast.