Amazing Race Team Golden Tickets WEEK 7

Options
Melodieccurn
Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
This is our next to last week of the challenge. I hope you all have had fun and got either results and realized you have to step outside the box sometimes and this can be fun with fitness and meeting our weight loss goals.
First of all we are off to Rome Italy which is 3998 miles.
The first roadblock is all about stepping outside the box. Last week we either looked at progress photos or measurements and learned to evaluate our efforts other than the scale. Sometimes it is hard to evaluate ourselves. The numbers may or may not show results on the scale but there are some many other ways to see our efforts with non scale victories.

This is a bit wild but here is the first challenge. We are going back in time to day one of this challenge. What was your weight?
How much have you lost since then? 5, 10 maybe 20 lbs?
I need you to find either a back back or bag of some sort you can strap on and carry for this challenge. You also will need a weight of soe sort either weights or even can be a bag of flour to add to your bag the amount of weight you have lost. It does not have to be exact just in the general area. You need to do both of the challenges with this roadblock to get the points. This will be worth 50 !, YES 50 points!
The first one strap on your pack and do chores around the house, laundry, gardening ect for 30 min or so. I want you to see how much easier things are and how weight truly weighs us down.
The second part is exercise with your pack doing your normal exercise routine. I don't expect you to take to the gym but go for a walk and see how it feels. See how far you have come! You need to do both to get the 50 points.

Roadblock 2
We are in our second installment of our weightloss yoga. This week its our abs that will get the workout. Thttps://youtu.be/GRcOhbNG8vo
This is worth 25 points.

Nutritional challenge is Italian.
This is on tomatoes which is full of nutrients. Pick a couple ways to add to your diet, recipe, salads ect.
You can choose another Italian vegetable or herb if you are not a tomato eater which I know some people aren't or cant eat tomatoes.
Did you know that tomatoes do not have to be a deep red color to be an outstanding source of lycopene? Lycopene is a carotenoid pigment that has long been associated with the deep red color of many tomatoes. A small preliminary study on healthy men and women has shown that the lycopene from orange- and tangerine-colored tomatoes may actually be better absorbed than the lycopene from red tomatoes. That's because the lycopene in deep red tomatoes is mostly trans-lycopene, and the lycopene in orange/tangerine tomatoes is mostly tetra-cis-lycopene. In a recent study, this tetra-cis form of lycopene turned out to be more efficiently absorbed by the study participants. While more research is needed in this area, we're encouraged to find that tomatoes may not have to be deep red in order for us to get great lycopene-related benefits.
•Tomatoes are widely known for their outstanding antioxidant content, including, of course, their oftentimes-rich concentration of lycopene. Researchers have recently found an important connection between lycopene, its antioxidant properties, and bone health. A study was designed in which tomato and other dietary sources of lycopene were removed from the diets of postmenopausal women for a period of 4 weeks, to see what effect lycopene restriction would have on bone health. At the end of 4 weeks, women in the study started to show increased signs of oxidative stress in their bones and unwanted changes in their bone tissue. The study investigators concluded that removal of lycopene-containing foods (including tomatoes) from the diet was likely to put women at increased risk of osteoporosis. They also argued for the importance of tomatoes and other lycopene-containing foods in the diet. We don't always think about antioxidant protection as being important for bone health, but it is, and tomato lycopene (and other tomato antioxidants) may have a special role to play in this area. 10 pts

Accountability. This is your pick. It can be sugar detox, logging, water or something you need to work on. 10 pts

Replies

• lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much @Melodieccurn. I want to cry knowing this is the next to last week. I know this is probably crazy stressful for you to put together, but I definitely hope you create another challenge after this one. It has been truly amazing. This week's challenge looks fun and scary at the same time. Thanks again!!
  • Melodieccurn
    Options
    Thanks so much @Melodieccurn. I want to cry knowing this is the next to last week. I know this is probably crazy stressful for you to put together, but I definitely hope you create another challenge after this one. It has been truly amazing. This week's challenge looks fun and scary at the same time. Thanks again!!
    There is one to be bigger and better. Stay tuned.
  • LizFitIt34
    LizFitIt34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Your awesome thanks for all your hard work putting this challenge together!! @Melodieccurn
    Can we use a weighted vest? I just happen to have one
  • Melodieccurn
    Options
    Yep that will work.
  • hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Would a substitution of tomato sauce for whole tomatoes be all right?
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Melodie, one of our team mates was wondering if raking the lawn or gardening count as exercise minutes in this challenge. Now that the weather is nice, there are probably others wondering as well.
  • Melodieccurn
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    Melodie, one of our team mates was wondering if raking the lawn or gardening count as exercise minutes in this challenge. Now that the weather is nice, there are probably others wondering as well.
    It depends. I would say yard cleaning yes. Gardening if you are doing heavy gardening, like overturning a garden versus planting or weeding.
  • lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    Options
    @Melodieccurn does the weight have to be carried in a backpack etc. or can you just carry dumbbells during the exercise/walk. I could not decide if that would make a difference with your intent for this piece of the challenge. Thanks!
  • jazzypdx
    jazzypdx Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great info on lycopene! Thank you for all your work and amazing creative challenges you have served up for us ~ damn tasty fun stuff! Ciao :)
  • CeruleanCoffee
    CeruleanCoffee Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I was excited to read this!
  • AshleyMFitness16
    AshleyMFitness16 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

@Melodieccurn you da best! ILY <3
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes I love the summer when I grow them fresh and I love them. I eat them every day. I will watching sodium.