Just got Fitbit One

Options
kyuui13
kyuui13 Posts: 36 Member
So I'm a little bit confused on how the Fitbit syncs with myfitnesspal. It has been syncing my steps where my home page is. It is not going towards my exercise count where my food dairy is. When I use the negative calorie adjustment it takes away from my exercise like I have ate something. So I am really at a loss.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You only begin getting "credit" for your activity when you have moved enough to justify your activity level. If it is subtracting calories, it means you are actually moving *less* than your activity level would suggest.

If I tell MFP I am "Active," for example, I get assigned a certain number of calories. I will begin earning more when I move *more* than an active person would. If I move less than an active person would, it subtracts calories so I don't eat too much

What is your activity level set to?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If this is your first day your numbers will be off, as there are several hours where your movement is unaccounted for. But as Jane said, you won't get a positive adjustment until MFP believes you'll burn more than what they believe is your maintenance calories.
  • kyuui13
    Options
    @janejellyroll I put lightly active cause of the days of I may have a migraine , kinda wish there was a moderately active too cause I try my best to get 6k steps.

@malibu927 yes this is my second day using it
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    6000 steps will put you on the border between sedentary and lightly active, so if you receive any positive adjustment it will be small. You may be better off going with sedentary to earn a larger adjustment (though your base calories will drop).
  • kyuui13
    Options
    @malibu927 it still seems weird how that would work when you set it a certain setting. I will see how it'll work thank you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Set yourself to sedentary
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    With a Fitbit attached to MFP, your activity setting is less important - as long as you have negative adjustments enabled. If you hate getting negative adjustments, then setting it to Sedentary will minimize those. Except if a setting of Sedentary causes MFP to give you only 1200 calories to start. Then, set it higher because otherwise the math that MFP uses gets confusing.

And, @malibu927 is right that the first day with your Fitbit is always messed up, so don't pay much attention to the numbers until the next day.

I would recommend that you read the FAQ found in the stickies, if you haven't already. Here's a handy link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1