Adapting for much weaker woman?

Options
klrenn
klrenn Posts: 245 Member
Hi all!

My mom had recently lost way too much weight. She's 60yo, 5 feet tall and has dropped below 98lbs. She's working to gain some weight back and wants to build some muscle because she's "all skin and bones" (her words)

She won't go to a gym...I know her. She wants to do some resistance training, but all of my experience is with weight on the bar and she has never done any exercise other than walking.

Any advice on how to set her up? Do I get her a set of 5/10/15lb Dumbbells and put her on 5x5 starting really light? Is a different program/home equipment more appropriate?

Thanks so much! Oh. And her doctor is on board with exercise/weights and has double checked all her meds/blood work, so she has a green light for an introductory program.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't know a thing about this. but i'd maaaaybe start out with box squats and let her get used to the movement patterns before adding weight. idk? quick google for 'weight training seniors beginner' showed some hits that might help.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add either but Chelselifts mom has started weight training and she is on some of the youtube videos. Something to check out maybe.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'd say start with body weight exercises and she can add light DBs once she has the movements down.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just a thought, not a BeachBody person, but there is a program called ChaLEAN Extreme. The program works with dumbbells (and/or resistance bands), teaches you proper form and your Mom can follow Ms. Johnson at her own pace in the comfort of her own home. Its a great beginner program and would recommend it to anyone at any age.
    Wish my parents would be open to some type of fitness. Good luck.

eta, just remembered the lady that uses the resistance bands on CLX is 60sh
  • theestuebchen
    theestuebchen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If she has never done any exercise at all, I would suggest a bodyweight program first. That way she can get used to the movements. When she feels confident and can perform a decent amount of sets/reps I would try to add dumbells or barbells.

I did NROLFW a few years ago which could be a place to start. Found it less intimidating than stronglifts and it gives a bunch of alternative exercises.