Experience taking progesterone?

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
Hi ladies,
My dr keeps telling me that I am estrogen dominant and really wants me to try taking progesterone (either the pill or the cream.) Does anyone have any experience? What does it feel like and how long does it take to work? Do you feel any negative side effects?
Thanks!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The cream was miserable for me. Every month I had 99% of pregnancy symptoms without the benefits of pregnancy. Plus, I had an undiagnosed/unconfirmed adrenal fatigue/cortisol deficiency, so since those are priority hormones, any progesterone I added was "stolen" and "converted" for use in those categories, so my underlying issues did not resolve. Not until years later.

So I would ensure that you've hit all the tests (I had to do a bunch of saliva tests, too, and stuff, it was a PAIN!) before agreeing to supplementation. So the cream absorbed well, but there were many unwanted side effects - and it didn't do what it was supposed to because of other conditions. Aside from that, I think that I'd see what your insurance will cover and experiment with whichever works better for you.
  • stacicali
    Options
    Thanks! No, there haven't been any saliva tests, and I am very wary of hormone meds since I've always felt horrible on contraceptives. I really appreciate your sharing your experience.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You might look into adding or increasing doses on more natural balancing agents like Inositol and Vitex. They might help more naturally.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I took progesterone suppositories and hated them. Literally all pregnancy symptoms minus the pregnancy. Nausea, appetite increase, extremely sore breasts/ even more sensitive nipples. Just really bad in general. If you don't need supplements, I'd suggest against it.
  • stacicali
    Options
    Here are some alternatives to supplementation with progesterone:
    http://wonderfullybalanced.com/?p=549
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I have done progesterone suppositories for the TWW while TTC. The only issues I had were very sore breasts and for some reason, sore nether regions. I had a couple of moments of mood issues. My main reason for hating them is the cost. They are not cheap.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I take 400mg a day of prometrium in my TWW. I don't really notice many side effects since I'm already in my luteal phase and my progesterone would be elevated anyway. Except that it could be making me tired. Like stupid tired. But I'm not sure if it's the prometrium, or if I'm normally that tired in my Clomid TWW's without the prometrium.

FWIW....the tiredness peaks around 7dpo...I'm like mind numbingly tired. And I get really dizzy when I stand up. And I feel out of breath. Just as an experiment last cycle I took my blood pressure when I kept getting dizzy and out of breath. 90/56. Ok...progesterone lowers blood pressure...and my progesterone naturally peaks at 6 to 7dpo....makes sense. It feels similar to early pregnancy for me....but if I'm not pregnant it will only last a day or two. If pregnant it hangs around...
  • stacicali
    Options
    Yikes. I am very grateful to you ladies. Based on your feedback and some of the negatives I've seen online, I think I will try to find other ways of fixing the estrogen dominance other than progesterone supplementation.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm glad you came to a decision you can hopefully live with and succeed, @stacicali... I think upping the inositol to more therapeutic levels (4-8 grams) helps some folks. Vitex is another med. There are about a half dozen or other expensive ones that help, too... I plan to ask my endo about this when I go to see him next week. Maybe we can have some notes to compare, though since I need to stay on continuous BCP, I don't know that mine is manageable for now.
  • stacicali
    Options
    I would love to hear what else your dr recommends. I'm already on 12 g of inositol to help with anxiety as well as PCOS (and it's worked wonders!) but will definitely look into Vitex. Thank you!!!
  • Twinkleeeeeeeee80
    Twinkleeeeeeeee80 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I take progesterone pills for 10 days every month on the 20th. I am starting them today for example. I have found that they help a good deal with keeping my cycle consistent. I do have side effects which are tender breasts (they are pretty sore) and pretty intense PMS like mood swings. I have to remind myself that they just make me crazy because each month at this time I invariably freak out about something or it makes dealing with various relationships in my life harder. One thing I would say is the inositol will help. I have actually forgotten to take that recently and I remember it really helps with depression and anxiety and also cravings. But, if your doctor looks at your blood work numbers and feels you need supplements, if I were you I would take them. Natural is always better, but it doesn't always make as big of an impact. It is good to be conservative, but you can lose time if you are working against your biological clock ticking! : ) good luck to you
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I only took progesterone when I was TTC - and it was part of the IVF process. The massive amounts of hormones I went through were brutal - I was an emotional roller coaster for sure. I haven't experienced it otherwise, though...
  • rachdene
    rachdene Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been taking 30mg daily for going on 3 weeks. But I was having constant periods... so far only breast tenderness, and sleepy so I take mine at night. This has been a God send for me
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I just took progesterone for 10 days to induce my period at my doctor's request as I had gone 3 months (almost 4) without it. She warned me that some people experience extreme PMS, but I didn't have any symptoms or side effects while taking the pills (I don't really PMS to begin with). Got my period the day after my last pill.