Oh Shoot - I used a STRAW all day

Options
char_barr
char_barr Posts: 125 Member
Just threw out my 20oz water cup that I got in the AM from the cafeteria, magically a straw was in it. Did I do it, who knows what my mind makes my body do first thing in the morning. Did I drink those 20oz with a straw, with no discomfort - I guess I did. (I had other liquids - tea, propel, protein drink without a straw today). I did it on autopilot, glad it didn't cause any distress. And I guess I will have to start using one of my strawless water bottles from now on, but they discourage that at the cafeteria. Crazy!!

Replies

• muscati
    muscati Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do think it is important to follow your doctor. But just wanted to add many places around the world do not even mention to use or. It to use a straw. U.K., Europe and Asia allow straws.
    Why doe tots there say not to use it?
  • char_barr
    Options
    My nutritionist said it adds too much air to your stomach, same with chewing gum. And can lead to discomfort. I read online some Drs say it can stretch your pouch. I'm going to ask at my next dr appt if it doesn't cause discomfort can I do it? Good to know its not universal.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Gah! That whole "stretch your stomach" thing KILLS me! The amount of air you'd have to take in to even TEMPORARILY stretch it would be INSANE, let alone to PERMANENTLY do any damage.

There are days straws bug me, and others I'm fine. The days it bothers me, I pull out the straw.

Same thing with soda. Take a balloon, funnel soda into it and see how much it stretches. It stretches a lot easier than our stomach does. I did wait until after six months to try carbonation. I have no intention of drinking it regularly, but one occasion, in a mixed drink, yup.

Apparently, with straws some people take in more air than others. As you heal you'll find there are no hard and fast rules, other than don't eat and drink together.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Funny because Inalso drank out of a straw this weekend and didn't even think twice about it..lol.

One thing I still struggle with is eating too fast...I try to stay cognizant of it but it never fails - I eat too fast then my stomach hurts...looking forward to slowing down a bit..
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Jen, THAT is an issue CONSTANTLY for me, but it's a nasty byproduct of my job. I have no lunch, just 10 minute breaks. I've learned to put food into 1/2 cup containers and bring multiples for throughout the day. At home it's much easier to slow it down.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am having such a hard time with it and getting stomach discomfort.

I am still working from home but when I am at work I don't take lunch - I eat at my desk so will be a struggle
  • char_barr
    Options
    I tend to work thru lunch too. Today I took my 3 oz of purée with me to lunch with my two co workers who know, then 2 other coworkers joined. They asked where my lunch was, I just said here and they kinda gave me a weird look. But it was 2 guys so they probably didn't think twice. I'm having a hard time with the timing between fluid, purée and protein drink. Just got to get a hang of it. I'm ok with drinking, doesn't seem to be an issue so I forget to stop drinking in time for lunch. Etc. also trying to walk during lunch but raining!

Hope everyone is having a good evening.