bench press - why you suck so bad? :(

Vetticus_3
Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
Hi,

I really need some help. I'm going great with every lift except the bench press, and I need some advice.

So, nearly 6 months of SL 5x5.
Squat - 67.5 kg (I can do 70, but my form starts to go).
Deadlift - 70 kg (I can do 75, but my form starts to go).
OHP - 27.5 kg (and proud)
Row - 40 kg (I can do 45, but I don't want to because....)
Bench press - 32.5 kg and a really bad form. My arms wobble like they're made from limp spaghetti.

I'd like to have my bench and row at least in the same region. I don't want to have that much of an imbalance. My row can keep on growing, but my bench is stagnant.

I've tried deloading and building back up. I've watched so many youtube clips on form. I squeeze my shoulders back, I arch my back, feet flat on the floor and push along the bench as well as pushing up. I've visualised pushing the earth away from the bar, I've tried to "bend" the bar... I just really suck at bench pressing.

I don't feel anything in my chest. My tricepy arm region, on the other hand, burns like anything. So, from what I've read - this is my weak spot - yeah?

I'm considering two options to help my suckiness -
1. Resting the bar on the saftey pins and starting the press from the bottom instead of the top.
2. Using the wide press machine.

What do you think?

Is there anything else that has help you?

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    My guess is your setup isn't good. Are you using leg drive, arch in your back? One cue that helped me was to think of doing two movements at the same time:you are pushing the bar up but also, simultaneously pushing the bench away in the opposite direction.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    My guess is your setup isn't good. Are you using leg drive, arch in your back? One cue that helped me was to think of doing two movements at the same time:you are pushing the bar up but also, simultaneously pushing the bench away in the opposite direction.

Sumiblue, I have not yet come across that analogy. I will have to that one a try.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    When my bench stalled, I started adding a few different things. I'm not sure which one worked best.
    1. Pause bench. Go down, pause for 2-3 seconds just a smidge above your chest, push back up. The longer your muscles are under tension, the more they develop. (I also do pause squats when I'm squatting to help my squat numbers.)

2. Testing my 1RM then working backwards to a more manageable working weight. It doesn't follow the 5x5 model though, so it may not appeal to you. Also, it's best if you have safeties to catch the bar or a lifting partner. Example: bench 135 for 1 rep, then 125 for 2 reps, then 115 for 5 reps, then 95 for 8 reps, then 75 until I'm smoked. It focuses on the powerlifting side of a 1RM, but also throws some hypertrophy in there at the end.

3. Bought a bench slingshot. It's an elastic band that you wear that helps you bench in the correct form and allow you to get more time under tension. It assists a tiny bit, but it allows you to do more reps at a weight you would normally struggle with to get more time under tension.

4. Since your triceps are burning more than your chest, you may benefit from adding on some accessory work for your triceps. It sounds like they are your weaker muscle and that your chest is able to do more, but you physically can't because of the imbalance.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    If your triceps are burning more than your chest you might have too narrow of a grip. This will also lead to very low (relatively) numbers.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    If your triceps are burning more than your chest you might have too narrow of a grip. This will also lead to very low (relatively) numbers.

That's what I was going to say. I purposely do regular and narrow grip bench press. Regular works my chest more, narrow is really tricep dominant.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    If your triceps are burning more than your chest you might have too narrow of a grip.

this. narrower grip tends to overload my front delts as well, unless i figure out how to prevent that in time. the increase in pec engagement as soon as i widened my grip was pretty dramatic for me.

• Vetticus_3
    Ah, I didn't think I was doing that, but it seems obvious now.
    Thanks everyone! I'll try widening my grip next time. :smiley:
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member

I just learned about the back arch and leg drive the other day. HUGE, I mean huge difference in the lift and how it felt. Eyes level at the bar, feet down and angled towards your butt and you should have a space between the bench and your back (to slide your hand thru). The bar goes to your sternum level. Hope this helps :)
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    @Sumiblue thanks for posting that cue! I used it last night and finally pushed through 60 lbs!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Awesome!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

starting strength has this terrific cartoon in it of santa claus helping himself down a chimney with legs and back, and then doing exactly the same thing on a bench. suit and boots and beard and hat, but no sign of his gift sack in the second one :D:D:D
  • Vetticus_3
    Hi,
    Sorry I haven't replied in a while... it was my arms. They were too close together.
    Thanks everyone who helped :)