05/01 Sunday First Challenge!

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
yw01c370qjo9.jpg

What's the Problem with Sitting Too Much?

What's the problem with sitting so much? Our first daily challenge explores this topic, so please spend a few minutes checking out the resources here: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sitting-disease.html

And why not stand up while you read it?

Replies

• changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Great resources. Thanks so much for sharing
  • Lavamonstret
    Lavamonstret Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you for posting. I have a desk job, but luckily we have adjustable hight desks, so I've raised it high enough to be able to stand instead of sit. :smile:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,729 Member
    I'm in! @ Lavamonstret, cool that you can stand at your desk.
  • mausbop
    mausbop Posts: 554 Member
    Thanks for posting this! I've read all and shared with friends :)

@Lavamonstret standing desks are awesome! I guess I'm going to get one as soon as my finances allow me to :smiley:
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,677 Member
    Great article, thanks for sharing! I thought the over productive pancreas was really interesting, never knew that.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    This is amazing!! I have to share this. I stand at work (currently standing) while interpreting video relay calls in sign language and have been for a couple years. I love it; I feel more energetic and have better posture but didn't realize there were so many other benefits. Very cool.
    yw01c370qjo9.jpg

What's the Problem with Sitting Too Much?

What's the problem with sitting so much? Our first daily challenge explores this topic, so please spend a few minutes checking out the resources here: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sitting-disease.html

And why not stand up while you read it?

• VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Also, I like that standing is only part of the answer. Only standing is not the answer though as standing too much without movement is not good either. Improving our posture while sitting as well as standing up every, what was it, 20 minutes? and walking around and moving is best. I know that I won't always be able to have a standing station so I have to remember that too.
  • themedalist
    Also, I like that standing is only part of the answer. Only standing is not the answer though as standing too much without movement is not good either. Improving our posture while sitting as well as standing up every, what was it, 20 minutes? and walking around and moving is best. I know that I won't always be able to have a standing station so I have to remember that too.

Exactly! Sitting all day is horrible for our health. And standing desks are a great option and far better than sitting, but standing all day can be problematic. The best approach from everything I've read (and from following the experts) is to not be in any one position for too long. Sit-Stand-Walk, Sit-Stand-Walk whenever you can.

When I'm sitting I try and take a standing/walking break every 20-30 minutes. Sometimes it's just a 60 sec stroll around our light table at work. It really makes a difference, I think.
  • themedalist
    And thank you all for sharing the info with your friends, family, and co-workers!
  • simplyme247
    simplyme247 Posts: 58 Member
    Thanks so much for sharing this! I've also read all and shared with friends :)
  • memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    I have read and watched all of the videos. I stood for all bur a very few minutes of it. I sit at my daytime job and will start making a point of getting up more often. I guess that my night job doesn't counteract the day.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Very informative, thank you! Also, a little scary.

I've been pretty sedentary for the past few years, but I've been standing/moving even less over the last six months... having read and watched this information, I'm sure that I have to do something and stop sitting so much! There is a history of dementia and Alzheimer's in my family, and that sort of thing scares me far more than cancer or heart disease (which are pretty scary in themselves), so I should do whatever I can to minimise my risks. I had no idea that just sitting too much was such a huge factor, and I'm looking forward to your suggestions over the next few weeks!
  • themedalist
    Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts on how the sitting disease page impacted you. Auna and I appreciate the feedback. And @SueSueDio, unfortunately dementia and Alzheimer's have also been linked to prolonged sitting. Excessive sitting has wide ranging impacts and the brain is also negatively affected.

There's a lot of bad news here certainly, however, we will be spending the rest of the month focused on the good news… What we can do about it! Much more to come on that tomorrow and Tuesday!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    And @SueSueDio, unfortunately dementia and Alzheimer's have also been linked to prolonged sitting. Excessive sitting has wide ranging impacts and the brain is also negatively affected.

That's why it worries me, yeah... getting older AND sitting way too much can't be good for my mental/neurological health!

There's a lot of bad news here certainly, however, we will be spending the rest of the month focused on the good news… What we can do about it! Much more to come on that tomorrow and Tuesday!

Good to hear! We need cheering up now... ;)
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    First challenge complete. I read quitting the sitting and registered. Looking forward to using my pedometer and walking, biking or hiking with my girls.
    Today, I participated in the MS Walk. It was the first time I was able to walk it in years.
    Bring it on!!
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks for sharing this research! enjoyed learning.
  • themedalist
    edited May 2016
    I'm glad you got a lot from the Sitting Disease page, @JButlerEagle and @jlperiard great job on the MS Walk! Your "Bring it on!" comment made me smile!
  • curleytop60
    curleytop60 Posts: 27 Member
    Read the articles. They are great. Since joining MVP I have become more active.I use to sit in front n the TV a lot more than I do now. Thanks for posting.
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Interesting articles, lots to think about.
  • themedalist
    @curleytop60 and @hollyhock1009, I'm glad the info is useful to you. That's great to hear!