10K in 3 weeks!

Options
Ny_meria
Ny_meria Posts: 6 Member
Hello,
I am a complete noob when it comes to walking/running long distances. In Jan, I had signed up for a 10 K which is supposed to happen on 22nd of May in Chicago.
I was planning on training for it, but did not end up doing it. I was planning on cancelling my spot, but realized that I would be failing more if i cancel it ,than if i go there and walk/run as much as I can.
I have been working out regularly, but more on the weight lifting side. My stamina is very poor. I can walk a 5k on a treadmill in 58 minutes.

I would still like to go to this 10k and give it an honest shot and would like to train for the 3 weeks that I have. I am not keeping any timing goals. My only goal is to be able to finish this 10k.
Am I aiming too high? If the community can give me some tips on how to train for the next 3 weeks, that would be great!

Thanks!

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hmm well the first thing to keep in mind is that most races have a time limit, after which you may not be able to finish the race. Assuming you are doing the 10K associated with the Chicago Spring 13.1 (I promise I'm not creepy, I'm registered for the half marathon that day haha), they don't have a course limit listed on the website anywhere but since it shares the course with a half marathon I imagine you should be fine, even if you walk nearly the whole time. I think you could go for it, especially if the goal is just to finish the race.
  • Ny_meria
    Ny_meria Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply!
    I decided that instead, I will start with a 5k that is being held locally. Makes more sense than spending 6-700 on flight+hotel and go for an event that is clearly not at my fitness level.
    Will train the next week for the 5k instead :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Ny_meria Enjoy your 10K! @ariceroni has great advice.
  • FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If the 10K isn't local and you have to pay for travel and lodging, I would most likely cancel my registration. Your first race should be enjoyable so you will want to do it again.