Another newbie question

Options
Sherriediva1
Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
On Sunday I did 55lb on the OHP (I've just started and the smallest plates my gym has are 2.5lb so I've ve been upping by 5lb as app suggests) and I completed the 5x5 but it was an iffy thing from set 1. I'd get to the 3rd or 4th rep and think oh crap! And then the 5th and tell myself I wasn't going to let 55lb kick my @ss. I got through it, but barely. The question is, if I had such a hard time with it, why am I not sore???!!?? Any thoughts?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    for me even a small form deviation can make me miss a press. so with that one, a grinder rep doesn't always indicate difficulty. sometimes it's just sloppiness on my part. i also find that yeah, the most important part of the form is being properly set at the start of the lift - and that's the part that tends to wander as i work my way through a set.

so that's one thought. another one is that contraction doesn't cause as much soreness in a working muscle as extension does. i know i can do rows all day long and not really hear from my lats, but a short set of negative pullups and i know all about it when i wake up the next day. negatives ask my lats to work while they're slowly extending, aka stretching. rows ask them to work while i'm contracting them.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I watched some form videos today. I think I'll drop back 5 lbs and watch my form. Thanks for the info
  • amyj000
    amyj000 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Alan Thrall has some great ones on YouTube.