Sciatica and losing weight! Anyone else dealing with this?

Options
Mama_Val
Mama_Val Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
Anyone else dealing with this type of pain and the difficulty of losing weight? If so, have you found any ways around the pain to lose your weight?

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My experience has been learning to cook real food, instead of eating processed, chemically treated, artificial stuff that comes from boxes, and bags! This has helped me lose weight (9 pounds to goal!) WITHOUT EXERCISE!! I've "tested" myself, and the pain returns if I eat any of it! Wonderful motivation for sticking with it!
  • cblkel
    cblkel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Karlottap. I have been trying to eat healthier and staying away from fast foods. I also eat no breads, noodles of any kind, or rice of any kind. I have not been have the severe pain in my lower back that I was having before. It seems to have eased up a little. Good luck Mama-Val.
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yep, lots of home cooked foods. Veggies and some protein. It's really interesting how junk can make me sick. It has also taught me to snack reasonably. I haven't seen a huge change in my pain levels. I'm maintaining for now. Still need to lose more but things are real stressful right now. Added high fiber cereal with 1gm sugar because "things" keep getting stuck. Lol! Everyone is different so trying every way is definitely recommended. Good luck!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Apologies for not focusing on your pain issues too! I have dealt with sciatica pain, and have the diploma from physical therapy to show for it (no really, they give us a certificate upon completion at my therapist!)! The best exercise I learned for sciatica is to lay face down on the floor and move like you're doing a push up, but leave your hips on the floor. Find the spot, while doing the push up, where it hurts the most, and hold for five seconds, then back to flat, repeat.... This can help relieve the pressure off of the nerve causing the pain. Start slowly, and work yourself up as tolerated. Whenever my sciatica flares up I do these (it can be done while standing against the wall, or door jamb too!), and am able to quiet it down enough to go on with my day. Hope this helps you too! Can help with the pain at any level of back pain too (upper and lower!)! :smiley:
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i saw on u tube a there is a muscle from your hip bone to your tail bone that lays on your sciatica - i was having issues i started this exercise and it helped only do it if you can. - lay on the bed put the hurt hip's foot on the other knee then put your hands on the( knee's side) leg and pull toward you until you feel a little pull - don't hurt yourself that will stretch the muscle laying on your sciatica and maybe release some pressure - it helped me - my butt would always cramp up and then run down my leg into my heel. It has stopped hurting i still get a pinch in my back but the butt and heel have stopped hurting. I also have side pain in that hip but i was told that is arthritis. 10,000 steps before that begins to hurt or rain.