New to group and looking for friends

Options
nettasaura
nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
I'm gluten free recently plus am exploring traditional food preparation and cooking methods (I can finally have oatmeal again without a stomach ache). After going gf for a few months and then adding it back in small amounts, I can say that it is definitely tied to some of my health issues. This little experiment culminated when I slipped up majorly a few weeks ago with the gluten following a family medical emergency and ingested a rather large amount of it and am now paying for it even a few weeks later. I'm done with it. It's not worth the pain and suffering that comes with it.
Most of the people in my life think I am nuts for cutting out gluten without a medical diagnosis, but I now know that certain health issues basically disappear when off the gluten and they are issues I wouldn't mind never seeing again. I would love some supportive friends. Feel free to add me. :)
Thanks,
Netta

PS - Well, I will admit....some curiosity about ancient varieties of wheat like einkhorn and kamut remains. Traditionally prepared and long soaked/fermented of course. Some research shows no reaction from to these varieties of wheat...modern wheat is indigestible frankenfood. But I'm too chicken after recent developments to experiment right now. :neutral:

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi @nettasaura : I will add as a friend. Depends on whether you have Celiac disease or are NCGS (Non celiac gluten sensitive)... Adding back in small amounts DOES NOT work if you have CD, but may be ok if you are not that gluten sensitive, and you don't let the additions get out of hand. I cannot eat einkorn or kamut even though my CD tests were inconclusive. If it's really worth it to you, give it a try once you are completely symptom free from this last glutening, but be prepared in case of nastiness. You could also try to get a hold of European wheat flour or products, as GMO wheat is not allowed there. A couple of friends who are NCGS are able to eat European wheat products (Dr. Oetker's pizza was one example although that may have changed since it was bought by McCain's) without issues.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was actually doing ok with just having a piece of bread/slice of pizza quantity or less 2-3 times a week without having symptoms show up (hidradenitis flares/gum irritation and sores/headaches). However, that one day when my mom slipped on ice at a rest area on her way down my direction to take my dad to an eye pre-op and had me doing the crazy headless chicken run all day found me having eaten nothing but a small breakfast. I caved and pigged out on pizza because I could more than afford it calorie wise. So over two days I had 5 pieces of pizza and 2 breadsticks. I thought everything was ok until about a week later when the gum irritation showed up and now two weeks in I am dealing with an HS flare (those take about 2 weeks to show after exposure) and frequent headaches. I don't have any classic symptoms of celiac, so I lean more toward NCGS and leaky gut. There is some success for a few people in having their Meniere's go into remission when they drop the gluten and that would be a miracle. I live in dread of the world going spinning on me. I'm going to try soaked buttermilk pancakes with einkhorn, soaking the flour for 2 days at room temp to get fermentation/breakdown of the gluten going, and then I'll give it a whirl. But not for at least another few months....need all this out of my system first or my reaction gauge will be off kilter. And right now I am not willing to suffer through eating that stuff in order to get tests done. Nope. Nope. Nope.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about gluten intolerance either CD or just more mild intolerance/sensitivities for years now. I actually did do gluten free for about 3 weeks years ago when I had tried it out for my daughter who was having stomach pain around belly button and constipation(according to dr even though she, daughter, denies it was like that). her symptoms are bloating with pasta, gas, constipation off and on, stomach pain and that "chicken skin" on the backs of her arms. She has not been tested. She was a very slow gainer as a child. Doesn't like most bread and never has but adores her pasta. Thankfully such wonderful options on gf market when I do eliminate again. I'm considering the testing for myself and her if the Walgreens blood testing is the price I found online. I will have to call and see after my tax refund comes back. I may get us both tested because its a run around to get it with our insurance. We are both lactose intolerant. I became aware of mine in my teens(self diagnosed by the fact it goes away when I avoid dairy and I was nearly vegan for years as a teen only consumed eggs occasionally) and my daughters I learned of when she as just 2 weeks old.

I'll add you but I won't be making the switch for a little while longer because I do want to do the testing before I go off if possible. To me having a Dr say yes you have this problem isn't required. If I feel better without it then I'll avoid it. I should be avoiding processed foods(and the carbs in most of them anyway due to prediabetes and PCOS).
  • jasperandlady1960
    jasperandlady1960 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me as a friend. I have been gluten free for a few years. Not sure if I'm celiac or not. I tried putting gluten back in my diet to get tested but couldn't make it the required amount of time without getting really sick. At this point I'm done with gluten and just recently have taken corn out of my diet as well. This has made the world of difference for me. It takes awhile but it's been worth it in the end
  • angelah55
    angelah55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just joined after starving (or so it seemed) at Slimming World, only managed a week. Been coealic diagnosed 10 years. Find g/f eating just about a normal day to day thing at last, but trying to avoid high calorie foods now. Would like some CD buddies
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the forum but I've been gluten free for 6 years. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten-free due to an allergy to wheat - causes terrible eczema. Constant muscle aching also improved when I eliminated it.
  • fourliles
    fourliles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have a wheat allergy. My lips and throat swell up-happens immediately. So wheat free for 2 & 1/2 years. Add me as a friend-need all the ideas I can get!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi new gals & welcome! Friend if you like but my diaries are from way back there as I am in maintenance and eating low carb, gluten free celiac style. You are always welcome to lurk as well since my diaries are open.