05/12 Thursday Day 12 SLBC

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
r25zdvd0i5hk.jpg

Sit, But Don't Stay Seated!

The total amount of sitting we do throughout the day has a big impact on our health, but so does how long we've been sitting at any one time. If you've been sitting for an hour or more, that's too long! Make a point to stand up, move around, or walk a little throughout the day, every 20 to 30 minutes or so. Setting an alarm on your phone or downloading a reminder to move app can help also.

Today's challenge is to really focus on getting up out of the chair throughout the day. Don't sit too long! Besides....we hardly burn any calories when we sit. Just standing burns about twice as many calories as sitting. Moving about or walking slowly burns even more calories. Minimizing how much you sit will help you achieve your weigh loss goals!

And please tell us, what strategies did you use to remember to get up and move throughout the day? Share your tips and help others sit less!

Alternative Challenge: Take your time in the grocery store. Walk down each aisle (the steps add up!). Pause to read the labels and see what is in your food!

Replies

• clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a reminder to move app?
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Good timing for me. I need to go into work today and when things get crazy I can spend hours (yes honestly hours) sitting in one place. I need to concentrate on ways to take standing or walking breaks where I can do some of the mental work without sitting and staring at the computer screen the whole time.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    clawson91 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a reminder to move app?

Have you tried setting a timer?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,836 Member
    Options
    I think I'll change my watch settings, so I get it to chime every hour. That will remind me to get up and move even if I can't walk at that time. At home I use a kitchen timer.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone just for this! It's called Stand Up!
  • jnanagirl
    jnanagirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use a phone app called reMind. I set up a reminder hourly called "GET ACTIVE! It was free.
  • mishavant82
    mishavant82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good one. I'm going to pass though! I've got blisters on my feet from my 12km walk in flip flops the other day.... And I'm waiting 2 weeks for my new fitbit with motion alarm. I'm meeting a friend at the mall later and will go a couple hours early to look around and get my steps in!
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have set my alarm for 30 minutes every time I sat in my office chair today. Not once was I still sitting when it went off. I guess I'm having a naturally active day. :smiley:
  • memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    During the day I work in an office and have became better at looking at the clock more often as a reminder to get up. Also, I try to get up after I complete a task or whenever I fax, copy or scan something. (It sits on the desk where all I have to do is turn my body.) At night I am a sever and keep moving for my whole shift, 6 to 8 hrs.

• jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Getting up after I finish what I'm doing is a great idea. Move after each step in what you're doing sounds good too. Thanks for the reminder apps. I will definitely get one.
    Today was Open House at the school and I was sitting a lot selling raffle tickets but I walked around the school so much more than I ever could.
    Before going to the Open House I was busy running errands and getting my stuff ready, so lots of movement today.