Hello!

Options
Hi Everyone!
I am a breastfeeding mom to a 3 month old little girl. I thought it would be nice to have a place for breastfeeding moms to come to for advice and support. I know I need it! Let's help each other out! :)
Melanie

Replies

• LisaO_29
    LisaO_29 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am a breastfeeding mom to a 6 month old baby boy. I was overweight before becoming pregnant, and I gained 60 pounds while pregnant, in which I have lost only half of ppd. I would like to lose 30 pounds before I go back to work in July. I am very lost when it comes to ebf and weightloss.
  • chicagonative
    chicagonative Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello! My daughter is going to be 10 months old in a week and is still breastfed. I was overweight when I got pregnant at 230lbs. I gained 20. I lost it all and got down to 220 within a month after birth, but then gained back up to 238. I am now at 228, so -10. My mini goal is 220, but I would eventually like to get below 150. Such a long way to go, but I've joined weight watchers as well to help me on my journey.
  • cristynfaye
    cristynfaye Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My baby girl is 5 and a half weeks old. I'm going to start gradually trying to lose my baby weight but I probably wont be super diligent about it for at least another few weeks or a month. But I'm finally starting to feel like I'm recovering from being pregnant and delivering, so I'm looking around for ways to help stay on track. I was part of my fitness pal a few years ago but then I fell off the bandwagon for a while. Does anyone know how to change my calorie goals to include that I'm breastfeeding? For the life of me I can't figure it out, and the program is wanting me to eat 1200 calories a day- lol, that's not gonna happen.
  • chwham
    chwham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! My daughter is 5 weeks old. I'm 10 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight, but I'd like to lose about 25. I've always been very active and love to exercise (Beachbody programs, running, and hot yoga) but I've never tracked what I eat. I definitely overcompensate in how much I eat for the calories I burn exercising! My main goal will be focusing on portion control and keeping my body healthy so that I can breastfeed my little girl, Emmanuelle (Emma). Looking forward to some accountability, support, and motivation!
  • mindyshook605
    mindyshook605 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there! My son is 8 weeks old this week. I am almost 40 pounds down from prepregnancy weight (I lost 30# while I was pregnant). I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and placed on a very strict diet. Since baby, I have (mostly) stuck to the diabetic diet and it has helped me to keep the weight off and lose a little bit more. My husband and I are doing the myfitnesspal app together and have committed ourselves to a healthy lifestyle for both of us and our 2 boys. I look forward to hearing from you all!

First question--how many extra calories do you allot for bf? is it daily or per feeding? my doctor hasn't been a lot of help in this area.
  • leahcim823
    leahcim823 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Helloo!! Hoping for son motivation!! Little man is 17 months, and I wanna start to get back I to shape and get my eating habits under control!!
  • Pinkahlicious
    Pinkahlicious Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi there! I have a 7 week old (tomorrow) little girl, I also have a 12 year old girl. I have 5 weeks left of maternity leave and I have decided to start watching what I am doing. I have lost 20 lbs since her birth, I had gained 45 with this pregnancy. So hopefully I can get all that off, and then some. I am looking to lose 66lbs total.

I have set my goals to maintain for now. I log breastfeeding in FOOD, it is in there! I do a base of -500 a day. It's not in the exercise area. I have read that you shouldn't try to lose until your baby is at least 2 months, then lower calorie intake slowly, and if you lower your calorie intake too much it will decrease your milk production, it's important to eat back those calories. So that is what I am trying to do.

Right now I am focused on getting active again. So I will be exercising the best I can everyday.

I would love some friends. Please send a request if you are interested! :#
  • JoHannahDenning11
    JoHannahDenning11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a 2 1/2 month old boy (first time mom). I've gained 30 pounds in my pregnancy I've already lost 20 pounds. I still have 10 more before my pre-pregnancy weight and 22 more pounds before I get to my goal weight.

Looking for accountability!
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey! This group is perfectly timed as I am coming back to MFP after being pregnant and having a baby and all that goes along with that. I lost a little over 50 pounds on MFP before and had a great time discovering how strong and capable and intentional I could be about it, but of course that was before I had to rush off after work to pick up the babe from daycare. Then I got pregnant, had a loss, got pregnant again, thought I was managing my weight well until we discovered during my last trimester that the baby wasn't growing well--so I was officially told to stop exercising and start packing on the pounds until she was born. It worked--she started growing again and was born only a little early at a pretty normal weight. Thank goodness! But I'm definitely squishier than I used to be.

I also discovered on returning to work that I was a just-enough pumper, and I didn't want to mess with trying to restrict calories while working to keep my little one fed. But now she's 9 months old and eating enough solid foods that she's drinking a little less milk. I'm building a stash for the first time and feeling like I could handle it now if my supply took a modest hit.

I realize that I may not be able to go back to lifting 3x a week but I know I can at least get a good start with taking walks, managing my tendency to bored-eat by logging consistently, and maybe get in at least one decent work out at the gym on weekends. From there, we'll see how things shape up!
  • leahcim823
    leahcim823 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    artsycella wrote: »
    I realize that I may not be able to go back to lifting 3x a week but I know I can at least get a good start with taking walks, managing my tendency to bored-eat by logging consistently, and maybe get in at least one decent work out at the gym on weekends. From there, we'll see how things shape up!
    I never lifted, but I'm feeling the same way!! With summer comimg, I'm lucky enough to only work 8 hrs a week... so I have no excuse to not be out walking and controlling my eating habits!! I babywear my 27 lb 17 month old... that counts as something right!!
  • ashleykarce
    ashleykarce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I am a first time mama to a sweet 3 month old boy, exclusively breastfeeding. I am just getting back into Fitbit/MFP and am working at slowly but surely getting into my pre-baby clothes and kicking some of those awful pregnancy indulgences (ice cream and desserts) to a more moderate pace. Looking forward to connecting with some more new mamas.
  • FitinFridley
    FitinFridley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hello Ladies, I feel like we are all asking for the same thing and MFP isn't listening. I breast feed my 7 month old, but unfortunately I am only able to pump to get my milk. Online, it says that it's 20 calories for every ounce you make. But i don't know how i feel about logging 600+ exercise points for breast feeding. I feel like adding 600+ calories to my diet is a horrible idea. I really wish MFP would consult a medical representative to find out how we should count those extra points. I don't want to kill my supply, but I do want to be healthy and look better naked! There are so many moms using MFP to get back on track that I think this would be really helpful. I know weight watchers gives extra points for nursing mother. COME ON MFP!
  • jkdaniels53114
    jkdaniels53114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm a first time mom to the sweetest little boy ever (not that I'm biased haha) he is almost 6 months old. I've lost much of my pregnancy weight and I'm now only about 10lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight. Ideally I'd like to lose about 20lbs in the end but I'm in no hurry to do it. Just trying to get back into healthier habits so I can set a good example for my son as he will soon be starting solids. It's so hard to know where I can cut back without risking breastfeeding..
  • Mamaof2UK
    Mamaof2UK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi how do I join the group? My daughter is 2 weeks old and is ebf. I'm drinking 4-6 litres water a day and still feeling quite hungry. How many calories are you all aiming for? I haven't weighed myself throughout my pregnancy and I'm not going to weigh myself for now. I don't want to make myself depressed!! Haha
    I don't feel huge and want to concentrate on tracking my food so I have some awareness of what's going in my gob!
  • cristynfaye
    cristynfaye Posts: 88 Member
    Options

First question--how many extra calories do you allot for bf? is it daily or per feeding? my doctor hasn't been a lot of help in this area.

I'm wondering that too. I have no idea, and I can't figure out how to change my goals to reflect that I'm breastfeeding. :\

• Nana_nyc
    Nana_nyc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have a 3 month old baby boy and am ebf. I'm trying lose the weight without jeopardizing my production. So happy I found this group!
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I had my fifth baby at the end of February :) Prior to pregnancy, I had spent the first 6 months of 2015 losing 60 lbs, then when I got pregnant I put almost all the weight back on :( I'm finally trying to get back on the wagon, but I sometimes find my nursing cravings more intense than my pregnancy cravings. My first goal is getting back under 200. I have my calories set at 2000 which seems to be working for me for now and I'm trying my best to cut out the c's (cookies, coke, chips, cakes, chocolate, etc). I've yet to start exercising but I do average about 14k steps a day. I'd love to have some new friends to help motivate me so please feel free to add me.