Recurrent Hiatal Hernia

Options
joysie1970
joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
I have had two episodes in the last several months of intense stomach pain, where I can't stand and can't catch my breath. After a barium swallow it appears that my hiatal hernia has returned but seemed small, after this last episode my surgeon wants to repeat the barium swallow and perform an EGD to see if he can visualize the hernia to get a better feel to determine if he needs to go in a repair again. I am 14 months post sleeve - has anyone had any experience with this? TIA for any insights, I have to be honest, I would like to avoid surgery again - that gas pain from the first hernia repair is still fresh in my mind....

Replies

• ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had a hiatal hernia repair along with my diseased gallbladder taken out when I had the sleeve 16 weeks ago. I am having stomach pains when I eat and when I feel my tummy I still feel the same bump as I did before the surgeries. I haven't had any testing to see if it has returned. I had no idea they could return. I do know I had terrible gas pains from the surgeries so I don't blame you for not wanting them again. However I too would be interested in knowing if they do indeed come back and why. I didn't pick up anything super heavy in the last 16 weeks. Hope someone with more experience replies soon. In the mean time I hope the Dr can do something for your pain. Has the pain happened after you have eaten?
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Once was after eating (half an avocado) so they first thought it was dumping from fats, the second time was an hour after a protein shake :( so it's not food related an I also had my gallbladder out a year before sleeve surgery...more to come...