Squiffy Squat

spritey86
spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
Can anybody tell me why my left leg (knee seemingly) angles outwards more than my right knee?

As previously posted, i am in week 3 of SL5x5. I have noticed this week (when checking form in the mirror) a flaw in my form when squatting which i really don't know how to fix - I did a lot of warm up weight practice with different stance, checking foot alignment and such to correct the issue. No matter what i did, my left leg goes rogue. My right is definitely my dominant leg. Is it likely an imbalance that i can address?

Any help appreciated. I want to get this nailed before the squat weight gets too heavy.

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    It's always best to post a video in these situations, but here's some conjecture based on what you've said:

Knees should always go in line with your toes. If your feet are the same and you left leg is going out and your right leg is going in I would guess it's more that you're experiencing cave of your right knee. It's almost impossible to push your knees out too far during a squat unless you have some kind of pathology (v. rare), but it's incredibly common to suffer knee collapse during squats especially when new. You say your right leg is stronger so it could be you're asking it to take the brunt of the load, and that is why it is collapsing while your left leg is free to compete the movement correctly because you're not asking anything of it.

Once you figure out what exactly is happening you can take actions to correct it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i have a stiff ankle on the left which means that anything north of that ankle is prone to taking detours to try and find an accommodation for that one thing.

but honestly, it could be anything in the whole kinetic chain. do you start out square at the top and then swivel during the course of the rep? mirror perspectives can be very misleading as well, so i'm with tree about video. try to place the camera 'level' and 'central' relative to your squat path, so as to get the best look.
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks for your replies! I did my SL workout this morning and didn't even realise it's my right leg that's the issue. I thought my left leg was going wide but it is my right leg that is caving. There was a trainer at the gym this morning who said my Squats were excellent. I raised my knee issue and asked for advice, he told me not to lock out my knees and try to keep a steady motion during the set. This is against mehdis instruction and I didn't get to see if this actually addressed the problem because it made sets much harder.
    The following set, I just concentrated on pushing my knee outwards. The trainer was also telling me to bend my knees when I OH Press! Discarding all his pointers and just taking that my squats are good! Just that darn knee.