why does it do this with calories?

Options
BoomstickChik
BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
One minute it's 139, then 62, then 40 something. How does it keep changing? I don't understand this.
I took a walk today for a half hour. At least. 139 seemed accurate. Ok... I just came back on to MFP and fitbit's estimate cut by more thwn half. Refreshed again and even more gone.

Why does this happen and how do I stop it?

I noticed it before when I had a charge and thought it was just that one, but nope. Help please. These things are insanely pricey :(

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit calorie adjustment is based on Fitbit's estimation of the total calories you'll burn over the course of the entire day at a given point in time. It's not "final" until approximately midnight, and varies throughout the day with your activity. For example (obvs all numbers totally made up):

MFP on its own, based on your stats and activity level setting, thinks you'll burn 2000 calories every day.

Have a great workout early in the morning. As of 9am Fitbit thinks you're going to have an extra-active day and projects you'll burn 2250 calories today and so at 9am your adjustment is 250 calories.

Then, over the rest of the day you're extra busy at work and barely move from your computer. As of 5pm Fitbit scales back that projection to 2100 calories for the day, so your adjustment changes to 100 calories.

And so on.

You can improve this by logging on to the Fitbit website (not sure if/how you can do this from the app), select "log" up at the top, under the food log section go down to "food plan" and see the little settings wheel in the upper right of the box? Click on it and, if you're currently set to "personalized," change it to "sedentary." That way, you'll have a really low adjustment in the morning (or even negative if you have that enabled) but generally it only goes up over the course of the day as you burn more calories, with maybe only slight backwards adjustments. That's the only thing I can think of that might help things; if that doesn't help hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

Good luck!
  • milmil89
    milmil89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit and Myfitnesspal was doing something similar last week. I'm not sure if there has been a bug but one moment I had burnt 100+ calories on mfp, it then started to decrease :s and then increase! It has been fine this week so far.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Mine did the same thing as milmil89 a few weeks back. I just broke the connection between the two programs and then reset it and it seemed to help.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Your Fitbit calorie adjustment is based on Fitbit's estimation of the total calories you'll burn over the course of the entire day at a given point in time. It's not "final" until approximately midnight, and varies throughout the day with your activity. For example (obvs all numbers totally made up):

MFP on its own, based on your stats and activity level setting, thinks you'll burn 2000 calories every day.

Have a great workout early in the morning. As of 9am Fitbit thinks you're going to have an extra-active day and projects you'll burn 2250 calories today and so at 9am your adjustment is 250 calories.

Then, over the rest of the day you're extra busy at work and barely move from your computer. As of 5pm Fitbit scales back that projection to 2100 calories for the day, so your adjustment changes to 100 calories.

And so on.

You can improve this by logging on to the Fitbit website (not sure if/how you can do this from the app), select "log" up at the top, under the food log section go down to "food plan" and see the little settings wheel in the upper right of the box? Click on it and, if you're currently set to "personalized," change it to "sedentary." That way, you'll have a really low adjustment in the morning (or even negative if you have that enabled) but generally it only goes up over the course of the day as you burn more calories, with maybe only slight backwards adjustments. That's the only thing I can think of that might help things; if that doesn't help hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

Good luck!

That's not the way it works. You can affect the number of calories Fitbit says you have by changing that Sedentary/Personalized setting in Fitbit, but it doesn't have any effect on your MFP "Fitbit Calorie Adjustment". The way MFP calculates that adjustment is by taking the number of calories Fitbit says you've burned so far that day (as of the last sync) and then assuming you'll burn calories at your MFP activity level for the rest of the day. That gives the "Fitbit Calories Burned" (full day projection) number. It then subtracts off your MyFitnessPal calories burned number. That number is the number of calories MFP thinks you'll burn that day, based on your activity level, plus any exercise you've logged in MFP.

If your Fitbit calorie adjustment is fluctuating wildly, seemingly from minute to minute, then you're probably the victim of a bug. Go to the exercise page (or diary on the mobile app) and click on the little 'i' next to the Fitbit Calorie Adjustment (or touch it in the mobile app diary, then touch again). That will give you a screen like this:
    aw4vl1xgy68p.jpg

If the MyFitnessPal Calories Burned number shows exercise calories you haven't logged, report it to MFP, because this is an ongoing bug. Here's a screen showing the way that would look (I had not logged any exercise in MFP the day I captured this:
    31hhju0zp9nr.jpg
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    I stand corrected; the adjustment is indeed based on MFP's estimate of your calories burned for the rest of the day, rather than Fitbit's. My apologies. I usually have a pretty good understanding of MFP/Fitbit stuff, having been a user of the two for about 4 years and pretty active with my own tweaks as well as in this group, but I learned something new today. Thank you for that, seriously. :)

I still wouldn't say that a swing in the adjustment of about 100 calories over the course of a day is "wild," though. I wouldn't jump to bug, personally. It still seems the result of normal fluctuations throughout the day, especially with morning workouts, and I think my comments about how activity over various points in the day impact your adjustment are still generally correct even if my original solution won't help and my original explanation of the system calculations were bad. To re-state my example above, using the same concepts but correcting the way the underlying math works:

MFP thinks that you burn 2000 calories in a day.

As of 9am, after a good morning burn, Fitbit says you've burned 890 calories so far. Using MFP's math, at 83.3333 calories/hour (2,000/24), you'd have an adjustment of 140 as of 9am (890 + [83.3333X15 hours remaining] = 2,140).

Then, you have a super busy day at work and don't do too much moving, so as of 5pm you've only burned a total of 1,457 calories. Using MFP's math, your total estimated burn would now be 2,040 (1,457 + [83.3333X7] = 2,040), so your adjustment drops to 40.

And so on.

I'll now revise my suggestions :). First, syncing as often as possible can help smooth out any changes in your adjustment and being able to appropriately plan for them. Second, reducing your MFP activity level (such that MFP's estimate of your calorie burn is lower) can at least make it less likely that your adjustments will swing down so significantly over the course of the day if you normally have more activity in the morning (even though the adjustments themselves will seem bigger) - if, for example, changing your activity level from lightly active to sedentary means that MFP thinks you'll burn 1,800 calories per day rather than 2,000, that's now 75 calories per hour instead of 83.3333. If the day went exactly as above, your adjustment at 9am would be 215 calories (890 + [15X75] = 2,015) and your adjustment at 5pm would be 182 (1,457 + [7X75] = 1,982). The total adjustment still decreases, but by only 33 calories instead of 100. At the end of the day, though, no matter what activity level you choose, your eating goal would be the same as long as your selected deficit remains the same, so it won't change how much you're actually eating.

Now, if your fluctuations in your adjustment truly did happen over a matter of minutes, and it wasn't the result of syncing after not having done so in several hours, then I might investigate further, as noted above. Try to keep an eye on that exercise diary screen from the comment above, and if you're seeing crazy stuff, then you definitely might have an issue. However, your adjustment changing up or down over the course of the day as both systems adjust to your actual activity isn't unreasonable or unexpected on its own.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    I still wouldn't say that a swing in the adjustment of about 100 calories over the course of a day is "wild," though.

Oh, I agree. You're completely right that a workout in the morning followed by a sedentary day will result in a bigger adjustment early and then a decrease in that adjustment later. And, you're right that choosing a lower activity level will make that change smaller. I was just reacting to this in the OP's question:

"One minute it's 139, then 62, then 40 something. How does it keep changing? I don't understand this.
    I took a walk today for a half hour. At least. 139 seemed accurate. Ok... I just came back on to MFP and fitbit's estimate cut by more thwn half. Refreshed again and even more gone."

From that, I inferred that it was changing minute to minute, not over the course of the day. I keep getting hit by the bug that adds mysterious exercise calories into my MyFitnessPal calories burned number. Not every day, but probably once a week or so. It's frustrating even though I generally recognize when it happens and can compensate.
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    I still wouldn't say that a swing in the adjustment of about 100 calories over the course of a day is "wild," though.

Oh, I agree. You're completely right that a workout in the morning followed by a sedentary day will result in a bigger adjustment early and then a decrease in that adjustment later. And, you're right that choosing a lower activity level will make that change smaller. I was just reacting to this in the OP's question:

"One minute it's 139, then 62, then 40 something. How does it keep changing? I don't understand this.
    I took a walk today for a half hour. At least. 139 seemed accurate. Ok... I just came back on to MFP and fitbit's estimate cut by more thwn half. Refreshed again and even more gone."

From that, I inferred that it was changing minute to minute, not over the course of the day. I keep getting hit by the bug that adds mysterious exercise calories into my MyFitnessPal calories burned number. Not every day, but probably once a week or so. It's frustrating even though I generally recognize when it happens and can compensate.

Agree fully. I was thinking of it more over the course of the day, but reading it more closely I totally see what you mean. Hopefully the OP will come back and clarify - I'd really like to help them get this right! :)
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a question related to this, I hope you dont mind OP =D

Since I got my ChargeHR, I have both MFP and Fitbit set that I will workout 5x at 30m each per week. I have just been letting it add the adjustment to the MFP , I have not been logging any exercise into MFP. Is this the correct way to have it?
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Yes, @Wickedfaery73 , that's how I do it. If I do any exercise that can't be properly tracked by my Charge HR (yoga, for instance), I manually log it in Fitbit, not MFP.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To the discussion above about the daily estimates and hourly burns and updating and such.

Another kicker to include in process.

Outside of a sync of device increasing the Fitbit calorie burn, more than 100 calories more than prior sync was (confirmed that again under normal circumstances) - Fitbit will increase it's daily total calorie burn per 5 min block by the rate you selected for Fitbit - Sedentary or Personal (historical average).

So if like me you don't sync until just before dinner - you will get negative adjustments increasing all day long as MFP is estimating at sedentary BMR x 1.25, but Fitbit is syncing over BMR x 1.05 roughly whenever it's 100 more, which usually takes over an hour for most people.
    If I did morning workout and logged/synced it, of course that means the Fitbit adjustment would keep lowering from big to small amount.

That effect - while not minute by minute, could have within span of 5 min a decent reduction if you happened to look at the wrong 2 times. Of course, if really a 3rd look shows another jump - then something else.
  • BoomstickChik
    Options

Since I got my ChargeHR, I have both MFP and Fitbit set that I will workout 5x at 30m each per week. I have just been letting it add the adjustment to the MFP , I have not been logging any exercise into MFP. Is this the correct way to have it?

This is what i do as well. I log my exercise so i can look back and see what i did, but log 1 calorie burned on mfp.
  • BoomstickChik
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I shouldn't pay much mind until after dinner, which I really don't, but if i do exercise for like an hour, I'm curious to see the burn. I'd prefer to not wear both a hrm and fitbit.
    Patience (i have none) lol
  • allibeee
    allibeee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This issue is annoying me too! I have a flex and activity level set to active, with negative adjustments enabled. Thanks for the explanations.

This evening MFP had me as -69 calories for today based on my step count. I walked around the house a bit so my step count went up, but now it says -75.

It doesn't really matter in that the numbers are small, but I find it annoying that it changes around.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

This is what i do as well. I log my exercise so i can look back and see what i did, but log 1 calorie burned on mfp.

You should realize that you are majorly messing up the Fitbit daily calorie burn.

If indeed you have them synced as you say you do above.

Your 1 calorie burn for 20, 30, 60 min whatever - is going over to Fitbit and replacing their estimated calorie burn.

And even if this was a workout where Fitbit was off by a bit - it sure ain't 1 calorie for that much time that you are replacing.

You have been massively lowering your Fitbit daily burn.

Don't log it as a workout on MFP. Besides - do you even use the Exercise Diary, or is this merely to get a wall post?

Just make a wall post of the details for friends list to see - and put it in your Exercise Diary Notes for future review if you indeed do so.