Protien Powder suggestions!!! need help

Options
hbk225522
hbk225522 Posts: 3 Member
Anyone know of protien powders that are healthy, but still cheap. I'm thinking about starting, but have no idea which one. I went down the aisle at the grocery store, and there was just too many to choose from. Plus I had no idea what exactly I was looking for! I eventually gave up. So any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• andisue50
    andisue50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    VegaOne is healthy, although the flavor is a little gritty in my opinion. I really like the ViShape, however it is not the cheapest (I order it on amazon).
  • idlecrush
    idlecrush Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like the Dymatize Iso-100. I buy it off of Amazon.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for cheap, consider blending your own powders. That way you can control the ingredients & nutrition...and I have found out that I save quite a bit in the long run. There are a ton of blogs that give recipes & instructions. But I'm also allergic to most artificial sweeteners (i.e. sucralose/Splenda, Nutrisweet, etc)...so that's initially why I got into making my own. It's hard to find ones that aren't high carb or loaded with chemical sweeteners.

My personal mix (when not pregnant) is:
    • 3 T. Hemp Protein Powder (90cal, 3gFat, 9g carb, 8 g fiber, 15g protein)
    • 2 T. Cacao powder (40cal, 1g Fat, 6g carb, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein)
    • 1 scoop Amazing Grass green superfood (great energy, probiotics & nutrients) (30cal, 0g fat, 4g carb, 2 g fiber, 2g protein)
    • Blended with whatever milk or milk substitute you choose to use (I like the unsweetened Flax + Protein milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk)

This adds up to over 19g of protein for the mix alone, & half of my daily minimum fiber...more depending on which milk substitute I am using that week. I've adapted to not liking it sweetened, but you can make it sweet by adding stevia or whatever your preferred sugar/sweetener is. I buy all of my ingredients from Amazon & just blend small batches of the powder or daily servings for the week once a week. Just pay attention to which ingredients need refrigerated. Last time I calculated, my "recipe" came out to <$1/serving if I was buying the larger container of Amazing Grass for mixing (instead of the 30 day supply).

Other options would be buying "Whey Protein Isolate" & mixing it. It's a great cheap option for protein & the whey protein isolate carries a bit more of a protein punch per gram. I just personally don't use it because it binds up my gut.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used mellaluca chocolate. It's reasonably priced. It has only 2g of sugar and no carbs and tastes great even when mixed with just water. The two scoops for each shake equals 150 calories and keeps me full til lunch time which is about 4 hours from when I have it in the morning.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I currently use IsoFlex Whey Protein Isolate by AllMax Nutrition in the chocolate flavor - 0g fat, 1g carb, 27g protein per serving with 0 sugars.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I like Targets Market Pantry vanilla whey protein powder. Vanilla makes it easy to bake with and I can flavor it as I like. $18 for a large tub in my area.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    I currently use IsoFlex Whey Protein Isolate by AllMax Nutrition in the chocolate flavor - 0g fat, 1g carb, 27g protein per serving with 0 sugars.

@bellaa_x0 Where can you get that? Is it recommended for diabetics to use?
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

@bellaa_x0 Where can you get that? Is it recommended for diabetics to use?

i got mine from Vitamin Shoppe, but you can get it at GNC, Bodybuilding.com, etc.

regarding use by diabetics, i would ask your doctor but i don't see why not.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    @bellaa_x0 thank you! Just to update everyone a little. I hit my first goal! I am officially under 300 pounds. I weighed in at 293 yesterday and started balling my eyes out. So emotional for me. I can do this, so I know everyone else here can to!
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    you're so welcome! and congrats on achieving your first goal!!! keep it up :)
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use PHd Diet Whey. Low sugar low fat. Really tasty. Use almond milk with a bit of water and they are lovely. Get mine off Amazon. Suitable for vegetarians too.
  • ironsue
    ironsue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at costco. Its optimum nutrition whey protein isolate. 24 grams of protein per serving.
  • Twinkleeeeeeeee80
    Twinkleeeeeeeee80 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Unjury is so great. 100 calories for a large amount. My dietician has worked with weight loss surgeons and in hospitals for years and that is what they give patients. You can buy online in convenient small serving size packs. They even have flavorless and chicken broth flavor
  • Janicedrios
    Janicedrios Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depending where you live I use Central Market Vanilla Whey Protein Powder. I like it and to me it does not have an after taste. I used Sprouts Whey Protein and I did not like it all.
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    hbk225522 wrote: »
    Anyone know of protien powders that are healthy, but still cheap. I'm thinking about starting, but have no idea which one. I went down the aisle at the grocery store, and there was just too many to choose from. Plus I had no idea what exactly I was looking for! I eventually gave up. So any help would be appreciated!

iso 100 from vitamin shoppe or amazon
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm personally a fan of Jay Robb's whey protein powders. They're inexpensive, high quality, sweetened with stevia, taste good, and blend easily (even without an actual blender).
  • Moneicalynn
    Moneicalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My husband uses the Protein powder from The Wellness Company!! Many people have had success with it PLUS they also have several different powders that target different things even one that helps control your sugar level to lose weight & it's also used for diabetics!! They are all reasonably priced. PLUS there a several ways you can use the powders to get the nutrients you are looking for, but ways to change the flavor up =)7we8yxqsppcp.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask me =)