New running friends!

Options
Hi everyone! My name's Julie and I'm very new to running, but I would really enjoy it if I got more friends on here that are runners!

I'm currently working on a run/walk program that will get me to a point where I can easily run for thirty minutes straight, which is a big goal for me right now. Another goal is to run four miles straight.

Is anyone doing anything similar? If anyone wants to add me-- newbie or veteran runners alike-- that would be great!

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks doing C25K which is pretty much that. Welcome to the running community....Running gets addictive. I ran my first 5k distance in December, and now, ran 12.2 miles today, improvement can come fast or slow. just stick with it and you'll love it.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    A run/walk program to get to running 30 minutes straight is exactly where I started in 2011. If it turns out that you like running, that can be a gateway to running a lot longer than 30 minutes and farther than 4 miles, eventually. It worked out well for me; stick with it, and it can work out well for you, too.
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started not even running a mile without stopping a year ago...today I ran my first 10K nonstop! My advice...don't let yourself feel intimidated! You can be as great as you are willing to push yourself. It is very addicting though!! :-)
  • julianniebananie
    julianniebananie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the positive words!
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I once was someone who would run only if being chased by a zombie, but now I do it for FUN - LOL! Small goals yield great rewards! Congrats on starting your program...this is an awesomely supportive community, whether your goal is to run a marathon or around the block :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    That is terrific. Great job!

My only advice is to take it slow. Stick to the program and keep it fun.

Good luck.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I, too, started with a run/walk program in 2013 once I started going for distance (although I could go about 6-miles, albeit it relatively slowly). Before that I just walked/hiked to build up my endurance over the three years from 2010 until 2013. Seven months later, I did my first marathon..ran/walked the entire way.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Running is rewarding, freeing, and affords some great friends!
  • julianniebananie
    julianniebananie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! I'm really looking forward to this journey.
  • tadman662
    tadman662 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here too! I started running in 2014 with the 5k101 program. I was so out of shape that it took me a lot longer than eight weeks to finish! I would repeat a week until I was able to get that particular run/walk segment down. It felt so great to be able to run 30 minutes straight the first few times I was able to do so! Like I was given a gift! Best of wishes to you in your running journey!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was convinced I would not be able to run as an adult due to a knee injury in my 20's, that and being so obese. Turns out I was wrong. After starting out by walking, and then running for short periods on those walks, I found I can run just fine.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Veteran runner here! It took me years to enjoy it, didn't really start doing it regularly until post -undergrad years. Keep at it, it'll be worth it! The endorphins kick *kitten* :smile:
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am a middle of the pack runner that is currently training for my first ultra marathon (a 50K). I really have fell in love with this sport over the last year. I truly believe that anyone can run and have fun at it. I think everyone here started at one point with a run/walk program (I still use one for my long runs). Good luck and welcome to your new addiction!!
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 of 8 on c25k. I'm doing a half marathon in December so this is step one of my training program.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Slowish, mid-pack, over 40 yr old runner with a bad ankle. I'm petty much limited to half marathon distance, but I'm ok with that. And I dabble in triathlon during the spring and summer.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I did C25K in September 2013, got injured and stopped running for a year, then repeated the program in January 2015 and haven't stopped since. It was a struggle for me to run a full minute at first. I finished my first half marathon last weekend, and I ran most of it and walked 2-3 miles near the end. My goal next time is to run the whole thing. I'm not a fast runner but I'm persistent.