Deaths after half-marathons and full

Options
mistyh10
mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
Sure they are few and far between, but they are almost always due to the strain/over-exertion of running, even if it's due to a pre-existing condition that the runner didn't know about. Do you ever get worried? I am now training for my first half-marathon and have seen a few news stories about deaths in recent years just here in Virginia. Cardiac arrests (mostly), brain aneurisms, etc. So maybe I am over-thinking it, but it is a fact that happens to some runners. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It bothers my husband - he is a worrier though.

As already posted, people drop down dead on a scarily regular basis whether they're running or not. I figure the healthier I am the less chance of it happening to me, but when it's time to go, it's time to go.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    No, I don't worry about it.

If I am going to have an episode that reveals some unknown condition, I'd rather be in an environment where paramedics and EMTs are already on hand. And if I am going to suddenly drop dead from said condition, well then I'd rather be running when it happens.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    And if I am going to suddenly drop dead from said condition, well then I'd rather be running when it happens.

^ I agree.

As a newer runner though (finished first half marathon in March), it worried me at one point. But as I took on the training, and learn to run easy, conversational pace, my worries fade away. Rather, I am amazed by how much more my body could do. Now, I would still worry but instead of about dying, it is about overtraining, adding miles too quickly and got an injury.

An interesting side note though, just a few weeks ago, my daughter (6 y.o.) told me she had a terrible dream. She said, she dreamt that I died while running LOL. Well, it is definitely more possible now than when I don't run :wink: And yes, I would much rather die running.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    No, I don't worry about it.

If I am going to have an episode that reveals some unknown condition, I'd rather be in an environment where paramedics and EMTs are already on hand. And if I am going to suddenly drop dead from said condition, well then I'd rather be running when it happens.

All of this!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Here are a few interesting papers on death rates of marathoners:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22562789

CONCLUSION:
    Participation in marathons has increased without any change in mortality or average overall performance from 2000 to 2009.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23989386

CONCLUSIONS:: The incidence of cardiac arrest and sudden death per 100,000 runner hours was 0.2 and 0.14. Risk factors for cardiac arrest were full marathon and male sex. Younger age and no previous knowledge of cardiovascular risk were associated with sudden death.

And here are the recommendations from the International Marathon Medical Directors Association.

http://www.aimsworldrunning.org/articles/IMMDA_Sudden_death_and_how_to_avoid_it_3.20.10.pdf

Recommendations:
    In an attempt to reduce the risks of Sudden Death, IMMDA has developed the following
    guidelines. We have attempted to use the best available scientific research to support
    these guidelines with the understanding that we are conducting new research worldwide
    and may modify these recommendations in the future.

1. Participants should not only be sufficiently trained, but equally important, they
    should have a goal and corresponding race plan that is appropriate for that level of
    training and fitness. If not, do not attempt the distance.

2. Have a yearly physical examination being sure to discuss your exercise plans,
    goals and intensity at that visit.

3. Consume one baby aspirin (81mg) on the morning of a long run/walk of 10k or
    more is no medical contraindication.

4. Consume less than 200mg caffeine before and during a 10K or more.

5. Only drink a sports drink or its equivalent during a workout of 10k or more.

6. Drink for thirst.

7. Do not consume a NSAID during a run or walk of 10k or more.

8. Consume salt (if no medical contraindication) during a 10k or more.

9. During the last mile, maintain your pace or slow down; do not sprint the last part
    of the race unless you have practiced this in your training. Run/walk as you train.
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Here are a few interesting papers on death rates of marathoners:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22562789

CONCLUSION:
    Participation in marathons has increased without any change in mortality or average overall performance from 2000 to 2009.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23989386

CONCLUSIONS:: The incidence of cardiac arrest and sudden death per 100,000 runner hours was 0.2 and 0.14. Risk factors for cardiac arrest were full marathon and male sex. Younger age and no previous knowledge of cardiovascular risk were associated with sudden death.

And here are the recommendations from the International Marathon Medical Directors Association.

http://www.aimsworldrunning.org/articles/IMMDA_Sudden_death_and_how_to_avoid_it_3.20.10.pdf

Recommendations:
    In an attempt to reduce the risks of Sudden Death, IMMDA has developed the following
    guidelines. We have attempted to use the best available scientific research to support
    these guidelines with the understanding that we are conducting new research worldwide
    and may modify these recommendations in the future.

1. Participants should not only be sufficiently trained, but equally important, they
    should have a goal and corresponding race plan that is appropriate for that level of
    training and fitness. If not, do not attempt the distance.

2. Have a yearly physical examination being sure to discuss your exercise plans,
    goals and intensity at that visit.

3. Consume one baby aspirin (81mg) on the morning of a long run/walk of 10k or
    more is no medical contraindication.

4. Consume less than 200mg caffeine before and during a 10K or more.

5. Only drink a sports drink or its equivalent during a workout of 10k or more.

6. Drink for thirst.

7. Do not consume a NSAID during a run or walk of 10k or more.

8. Consume salt (if no medical contraindication) during a 10k or more.

9. During the last mile, maintain your pace or slow down; do not sprint the last part
    of the race unless you have practiced this in your training. Run/walk as you train.

This was super helpful! Thank you!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I worry about it when having sex....death while in a compromising position. :smiley:
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    7. Do not consume a NSAID during a run or walk of 10k or more.[/i]

^^^^ This sucks for ultra-marathon runners LOL
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sudden death while running. To be honest, I expect I have a greater chance of sudden death from driving on crowded highways. I don't worry about that, either.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh shoot. I suspect you are worried about the race and the ramping up your anxiety level is causing you to over-think and overreact!
    Sure, you might get run over by a frightened deer, sprayed by a crop duster, causing you to develop cancer, tripped by a snail in the road.....
    But I also anticipate that you are going to have a REALLY good time, and that you will emerge unscathed and with a new sense of confidence.
    Go get 'em!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Curtruns wrote: »
    I worry about it when having sex....death while in a compromising position. :smiley:

Which raises the all important question: Is there sex after death?
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    In the inaugural Rock'n'Roll Raleigh half and full marathon there were two deaths (both half-marathon participants).

One collapsed at the finish line where there was plenty of medical personnel and the other died between mile 11 and 12. I happen to run a race with some people who were running along with the second guy and they told me it was such a shock. No indication of any issue and he "dropped like a sack of potatoes." The medical personnel were less than 200 feet away when he collapsed, but this person telling me this hypothesized that he was dead before he hit the ground.

No issues since. It was hypothesized that because it was one of the first warm days of the spring that contributed to the conditions that caused the cardiac issues.

I don't really worry about it. I take the time to prepare for the races I run.

Besides, nobody gets out of this life alive.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    So this discussion got me thinking... I get (almost) yearly physicals but I never really discuss my running with my doctor. She knows I run but I'm sure she has no idea how much and how far. I have never had any kind of heart specific testing done and I was wondering what exactly should I be doing. So off to Google I went and found a few interesting articles.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/running-doc-physical-running-marathon-article-1.1189311

https://rushinperson.rush.edu/2011/07/18/marathon-training-advice-from-a-heart-expert/

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/04/18/racing-death-how-can-runners-be-saved-from-cardiac-arrest.html

The 2nd link mentions advice from the American Heart Association but does not link directly to it. I did a quick search and found nothing. I will be looking at this closer as I start my Fall marathon training in a few weeks....