Just joined up and ready to get back in shape!

Options
Hey ladies!

My little boy will be 8 months old next week (and I'll be 35 this month!). I finally realized it was time to get my act together and start losing weight rather than gaining it. Yes, you heard that right, I have gained 20lbs over the last 7 months rather than lost it! How'd that happen? Ha, well, my story:

I had preeclampsia, which meant I had a ton of water weight and swelling. I ballooned to 225lbs in those last couple of weeks. I had an emergency c-section at 36 weeks. But even during my pregnancy, I was active and living in an urban area where I walked 3-4 miles a day minimum up until I was put on bed rest. Postpartum I struggled with PPD, breastfeeding and a colicky baby, so I was zombie-like trying to get any sleep, trying to remember to eat and not moving much as I was attached to a pump day and night. I also moved to a rural area with unsafe roads for walking, let alone with a stroller. So as time went on, I was driving everywhere and eating convenience food and junk to get energy spikes. In the first month I actually lost over 30lbs, dropping to 189lb within 3 weeks of giving birth - but I was also not eating. After that the weight steadily started back on and my muscle mass has faded away entirely. I am now 208lbs and barely fitting into a size 16. My son is over 20lbs at this stage and it's becoming more and more difficult for me to lift him and carry him around all day. The lack of fitness is glaringly obvious.

I would like to ultimately reduce my weight back to 160lbs, wear a size 10 again, walk up stairs without getting out of breath and strengthen my core, so hauling the kid around doesn't turn into chronic back pain.

Can't wait to get started and get to know everyone!

-Shannon

Replies

• RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi Shannon,
    I just rejoined MFP and just joined this group for the first time - I have a 13 month old and 20 pounds of 'not-baby' weight that I have not been able to lose, so I'm back on MFP.

I also had a horrible late pregnancy/early postnatal stage (SPD so I was practically immobile for the last 5 weeks or so, then super colicky baby who rarely slept)

I gained around 45lbs total, lost 25 lbs within 3 weeks and the last 20 have not moved for a whole year.. So, I'm with you! Good luck!!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hey Shannon!
    Your pregnancy sounds a lot like mine did. My little girl is nine months now. I think I had preclampsia, I had HORRIBLE swelling. This time last year, I could barely climb a flight of stairs. My own weight was up to 235 or 240 right before giving birth. I ended up not having a C-Section but it was a close call. I had to be induced because of red flags at about 40 weeks.

So anyhow, all of that said, I was over weight before I got pregnant. My little girl is about 19.5 pounds now! (New mom and baby work out, do 3 sets of reps of baby lifts! haha)

My goal is to lose the last 13 pounds of baby weight. Then at least 25 more. If I say, "I just need to lose 5 pounds," that seems a lot more manageable than "I need to lose 40 pounds." SO I am breaking it up into 5 pound goals. After I lose 5, I just need to lose 5 more!

I wish you well on this journey! :smiley: