Phentermine effects wearing off

Options
jmacey81
jmacey81 Posts: 5 Member
Hello all, I started taking 30mg of Phentermine on April 10th (@192 lbs) after a long discussion with my doctor and following 3 months of tracking my food and exercise on my own and only losing 5 lbs. The first month went wonderfully, the Rx really suppressed my appetite allowing me to easily stick to 1000-1200 calories a day, plus since I was never really hungry I didn't crave the junk food I usually ate and was eating all healthy, low Carb, in processed foods. At my one month check up I had lost 17 lbs, my doctor was very happy with my progress and gave me another 30 day refill of Phentermine @ 30mg. About a week later I started noticing it wasnt working as well, I would get hungry between meals and didn't have as much energy during my workouts. By the end of the second week it was not working at all. Normally, I would wake up hungry and take my pill and by the time I was done getting dressed and starting to prepare my first meal of the day my hunger was gone. Now, despite the same routine, I am starving by the time I eat and I have to eat snacks between meals or my stomach is growling. I am also craving sugar and junk food again. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else, with the Phentermine losing it's effectiveness? My doctor had said most people get prescribed Phentermine for 3-6 months and are then taken off but I have only been on it for 7 weeks. I have lost 24 lbs total and have not been able to drop any more weight in the pat 10 days. I've also given into my cravings on two occasions where I ate a donut at work and cookies (also at work) I have my 2 month check up next week and I want to ask my doctor to up my dosage to the 37 mg but I'm afraid he will think I'm trying to take the easy way out. Any info, input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Boise_Mom
    Boise_Mom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was started on the 37 dose, but I was told to break it in half. I take half around 10, and then half around 3. I have heard that it helps with an extra boost in the afternoon. I also noticed that it affects me differently during different times of my cycle. Also, what about taking a day off? I wonder if that might help. Hopefully, they can help change it up a bit.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jmacey81 wrote: »
    Hello all, I started taking 30mg of Phentermine on April 10th (@192 lbs) after a long discussion with my doctor and following 3 months of tracking my food and exercise on my own and only losing 5 lbs. The first month went wonderfully, the Rx really suppressed my appetite allowing me to easily stick to 1000-1200 calories a day, plus since I was never really hungry I didn't crave the junk food I usually ate and was eating all healthy, low Carb, in processed foods. At my one month check up I had lost 17 lbs, my doctor was very happy with my progress and gave me another 30 day refill of Phentermine @ 30mg. About a week later I started noticing it wasnt working as well, I would get hungry between meals and didn't have as much energy during my workouts. By the end of the second week it was not working at all. Normally, I would wake up hungry and take my pill and by the time I was done getting dressed and starting to prepare my first meal of the day my hunger was gone. Now, despite the same routine, I am starving by the time I eat and I have to eat snacks between meals or my stomach is growling. I am also craving sugar and junk food again. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else, with the Phentermine losing it's effectiveness? My doctor had said most people get prescribed Phentermine for 3-6 months and are then taken off but I have only been on it for 7 weeks. I have lost 24 lbs total and have not been able to drop any more weight in the pat 10 days. I've also given into my cravings on two occasions where I ate a donut at work and cookies (also at work) I have my 2 month check up next week and I want to ask my doctor to up my dosage to the 37 mg but I'm afraid he will think I'm trying to take the easy way out. Any info, input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on the 37.5 dose. I definitely ran out of steam on half pills after a time...they worked great in the beginning. I don't see why taking the normal dosage would be viewed in a negative light by your doctor.

I still occasionally have cravings and stuff. While the phentermine is great, it still takes discipline. How many calories are you eating each day? Is it possible you're not eating enough? That could be causing the hunger and energy issues. That's a problem for a lot of us on Phen.

Also, if you're not doing it due to illness, budget some calories for some of the foods you like. I've been on Phen since April 3rd, I've lost 38lbs. I have had pizza, ice cream, ribeye and wine during this time. Still lots and lots of nutritious, healthy food. I just make room for life and pleasure. Maybe if you had some of your treats in healthy portions, you would break the cycle. (I haven't eaten over 1300 calories a single day since being on Phen, and I still had room for these treats). I'm eating these things, staying sane and on track, and my blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol are fabulous.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    jmacey81 wrote: »

Here is what I have found to help me as I am now into month 4 of Phentermine use. Instead of 3 meals a day I strategically plan out 2 additional snacks in between to help with cravings. I work in an office so I prepare my lunch everyday before work. I always include 2 items to be used as snacks.. typically an apple and anther piece of fruit or a hand full of almonds. This has helped me greatly. What ever you chose for a snack it should be something that is filling and can hold you over that extra hour or 2 till your next meal. Also be sure to drink plenty of water. Also you might want to let your doc know that 30 mils is not cutting it for you anymore.. the 37.5 mil is the most commonly prescribed dosage.
  • MissusMoon
    Options
    ^^Good points. I throw in my own version. Make sure you understand your eating patterns. I don't typically eat breakfast, but if I'm going to the gym I need energy. I drink my breakfast. Lunch is pretty light. Between 3pm and 7pm is when I get really hungry. So I use the bulk of my calories for dinner and snacking before/after as appropriate.

I think it's super important not to try to fight hunger, but work with your patterns and plan ahead. Distribute your calories in a way that supports how you typically eat. Remember, we have to keep this off for life, so it's a good idea to learn how to do it the best way individually while we lose!
  • jmacey81
    Options
    Hello ladies, sorry I haven't replied. Phone issues. Here are some more details, I was prescribed the 30 mg slow release capsule so unfortunately I cannot cut it in half. I eat three meals and 3 small snacks a day, usually fruit, cheese, or yougurt. I eat between 1000-1200 calories most days as directed by my doctor. I try to eat only naturally occurring carbs and sugar from fruit, whole oats, starchy vegetables and potatoes. I have tried to cut out all bread, pizza, pasta, pastries and sweets for two reasons. One being that they contain no nutritional value at all, and do not satiate hunger so I end up eating more calories then I need. Second, and most importantly, after speaking to my doctor and registered dietician about binge eating, and food dependence it was agreed upon that I binge on foods that I feel give me comfort when I'm stressed, sad, upset etc. Growing up in an Italian home, massive amounts of pasta, fresh bread and rich desserts were a daily thing. Although my mother made sure I didn't over indulge as a child by constantly repremanding my weight, and denying me second helpings and desserts, once I got my older and got divorced I fell back into the comforts of these foods. They're are a trigger to my binge eating, and even knowing what I know about portion sizes, and weight gain I will over eat them given the opportunity. My dietician reccomends to all her patients on a weight loss journey to avoid foods they have over indulged in prior to seeking medical intervention. Whether it is pills, surgery, or special diets, she says there is no benefit to cheat days, or allowing yourself small amounts of these foods. It takes 3-6 months to develop new eating habits, if you eat fast food, or sweets or in my case pasta and bread even once a week to keep from "depriving" yourself you are actually sabotaging youself. Once your stomach heals from surgery, or you stop taking your pills, or your doctor we and you off medifast your cravings and appetite will go right back to junk food so you need to avoid these things completely until you don't even want them anymore, until the first thing you crave when you get hungry is something healthy. So this is why I avoid these things and there is no benefit to allowing them. It would be like a drug addict thinking they could only take one hit of heroin, or an alcoholic thinking they could have a few beers. Obviously this would be detrimental to recovery and food is no different.

I plan on asking my doctor to up my dose when I see him this week, but I feel he may say no since I have made it back to a healthy bmi (24).

For now I have found that if I eat my regular meal after waking up, then wait until I start getting hungry again to take my pill it seems to be getting me through the rest of the day. The day I ate the donuts and cookies I was so sick I don't plan on repeating.

If anyone has any suggestions to help curb my hunger Id appreciate it.
  • MissusMoon
    Options
    Thanks for all that extra info. Normally I wouldn't recommend restrictions (personally) but if you have triggers for binges, that's a good plan.

How's your protein intake? I drink protein shakes for breakfast since I am really not a morning eater. The higher the protein the longer I go without feeling hungry. I just had to experiment and find the one with the right amount of calories and protein to fit into my day. Some are as low as 100 calories, others closer to 200. It might be worth a try, or upping your protein via other foods. I've also found that for whatever reason, avocado really kills cravings and fills me up. It does pack a caloric punch but it's occasionally rescued me from going over the edge.
  • jmacey81
    Options
    MissusMoon what kind of protein shakes do you drink? I have tried Atkins, slimfast, crave(advocate), nutrisystem and a generic whey protein one. I honestly think they all taste like crap. Lol, I have not found a single flavor in any brand yet that doesn't taste chalky or fake to me. They all kind of remind me of tumms. My diet is mostly high quality proteins; chicken, fish, eggs, strong cheeses (extra sharp Cheddar, provolone, real parmesan) or fat free Greek yogurt. I can't have yogurt and cheese on the same day or I get sick. I also can't have dairy milk or coconut milk. I drink unsweetened almond milk with my shakes or in coffee. My bowl of real oatmeal (not the sweetened packet stuff) is really my only high Carb item through out the day and I eat that as my last meal of the day and stick to proteins the rest of the day for exactly the reason you mentioned, they help my hunger a lot more. I love avacodos and I add them and grilled chicken to my salad every day.

Maybe I just need to up my calorie intake but the doctor recommended 1200 so I'm really trying to stick to that.
  • MissusMoon
    Options
    The lowest calorie protein shakes I drink are Premier Protein at 30g of protein, 1g sugars, 100 calories. They are not totally dairy based but do include "milk protein" in the ingredients.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    if you would like to try and make your own shake. I highly recommend this protein powder

It is the only one that I have found that does not have any flavor so it doesn't have a weird sickly taste to it.

http://amazon.com/Now-Foods-Organic-Protein-Unflavored/dp/B004AC06FS?ie=UTF8&qid=1465330297&ref_=sxr_rr_xsim1_s_it&sr=1