Do you change your macros during pregnancy?

Options
wheeee123
wheeee123 Posts: 19 Member
Do you change your macros and micros during pregnancy or just leave them at the presets? I know that pregnant ladies need more of certain nutrients, but I'm not sure what. Folic acid and iron for sure. Then I have a pregnancy app that says to get at least 70 g of protein- but the preset on here is way more than that for me. What do you think?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother. I figure that's why I'm taking a prenatal. For the extra stuff. I'm loosely estimating my calories some days. This is my last pregnancy.. I don't want to be crazy about what I eat or really even try that hard. Just trying to enjoy it. Eating fairly healthy and allowing some treats.

Of course, I have the added benefit that I have had a meat aversion during every pregnancy....Since I'm not blowing the calorie/protein budget on meat I get to eat more dairy, beans, and cupcakes. lol.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I changed mine, but only because I was an existing MFP member prior to pregnancy, and was on an ultra low carb diet per doctor's recommendations (no more than 60-70g maximum total carbs/day). I'm allowed 150g total/day in pregnancy (unless I develop gestational diabetes), so I had to alter my macro percentages to reflect that. I have PCOS with insulin resistance though with a zero-gain goal for pregnancy (max of 15# allowed if needed), so I'm not the "typical" pregnant profile :smile: .
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    That is different @asearch4me. I don't have PCOS. I was on MFP but was never low carbing. I have to do the diabetes test super early with this baby since my last one weighed 10lbs and had all kinds of issues with his blood sugars when born. I never tested positive for gestational diabetes, but I think I had it the last month way after all the tests were over.

I've noticed sweet stuff totally turns me off this pregnancy...except coke. I haven't had a regular soda in like 10 years but had 6 oz of regular coke, ice cold twice this week. However, I made cookies for my kids yesterday and the sight of them made me want to puke. Go figure.
  • wheeee123
    wheeee123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I might not change mine then. It's hard to hit micros on a good day.- I have some food aversions lately and a love of carbs. I avoided wheat before my pregnancy, but lately I've been loving my spaghetti (3 dinners this week!) I try to balance it out with a protein-rich veggie-filled sauce, but it's not something I would have eaten before pregnancy. An occasional cupcake sounds pretty good too, Enterdanger!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I didn't change anything, I have never worried too much about my macros. I do make sure to get upwards of 100g of protein daily since I am still active and growing a human, but thats all I worry about.
  • serfasc
    serfasc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not really following the macros, other than I want around 150 carbs a day. This is because I gained 45 lbs last pregnancy and I'm worried about that.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I left my settings the same 45C / 25 P / 30 F but I totally haven't been able to meet them. I crave carbs waay more during pregnancy most days I'm around 50 percent carbs (like 200-250 grams)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't even log my food.
  • packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've left my alone as I started out overweight.
    :(