Smoothies

Options
TiffanyBeckett
TiffanyBeckett Posts: 173 Member
Are there any protein/energy smoothies that you can make and drink while pregnant? I miss my meal replacement ones so much!

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could make smoothies. I don't think it would hurt to add some protein powder as long as it wasn't like a preworkout with caffeine. I'd also try to stay away from anything with saccharin and cyclamate for the sweetners. I'd also get a good quality one since the cheaper protein powders can have heavy metals. I saw a couple of brands when I googled that say they are safe for pregnancies.
  • TiffanyBeckett
    Options
    Ok thank you!
  • nienie5104
    nienie5104 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my doc ok'd my protein powder, i purchase mine from costco. i usually have one after my workout with some frozen berries and milk :)
  • TiffanyBeckett
    Options
    nienie5104 wrote: »
    my doc ok'd my protein powder, i purchase mine from costco. i usually have one after my workout with some frozen berries and milk :)

What's the brand? Thanks for the reply
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie with strawberries and greek yogurt for protein.
  • _cassie623
    _cassie623 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My doctor also allows protein powder as long as it doesn't contain saccharin. I have some chocolate powder that I like to blend with milk, peanut butter, & ice. Or I will blend it with strawberries, milk, & ice, and it tastes like a chocolate covered strawberry to me :)
  • enterdanger
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've always been against drinking your food, but I definitely see the benefits while pregnant...especially since I need the protein now that meat looks and smells like death to me right now. lol.

So, I googled and this Jay Robb protein keeps coming up with every recommendation, but it looks pricey. I do like that for like $15 you can get a sample pack so you could figure out if you like it before committing to buying a whole thing of it.

For those of you who do protein, what kind do you use? I'm a protein novice...and I need something without soy because I'm allergic.
  • wheeee123
    wheeee123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few different protein powders, and the whey always made me gassy. The egg white protein powder was my favorite, but it was super pricey.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    I did a smoothie this morning. But I just put greek yogurt in that bad boy. Mine was shared amongst me, hubs, and son #1. It was:

2 cup Weiler's frozen fruit mix with strawberries, blueberries, and mango
    2 cups watermelon (I did this first so it could be my liquid)
    1 cup 2% plain greek yogurt
    .5 cup pure coconut water

Very tasty. 19g of protein, 14g fiber. Just under 300 calories, but with a piece of toast that was a perfect breakfast. Plus, I have an awful cold and my throat is so sore. It really helped.
  • nienie5104
    nienie5104 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    nienie5104 wrote: »

What's the brand? Thanks for the reply

ill look when i get home, sorry i just got back on here. Ill keep you updated. Ive had a couple he was ok with, so ill try and get you a couple answers.