Fractional/Micro Plates?

spritey86
spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
Are they worth investing in? I don't want to spend much but if they are worth it, I will get some.

Was thinking i could get 4 x 0.25kg so i can flexibly add weight in increments particularly for OH Press which I am struggling with.

What have you guys done? Should I just keep pushing with the 2.5kg increases?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i bought two .75lb lengths of chain from a hardware store and sewed them into old socks with a button closure :D

fractionals have been great for me on ohp but i got shy about taking my home-made ones to the rec centre so i don't use them much. now that i'm doing wendler where there's a lot of non-rounded weights, i kind of wish i still had the nerve to use them. i just round up to the nearest 5 and i feel it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I'm getting to the stage where I may need to use fractionals as well. My gym has 2.5 lb plates but I may need to find smaller because the OHP is the one killing me too.

I just got the deload message so I am going to see how it turns out in a few days and then do some browsing around.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    I use Little League "bat donuts" that were cheap and weigh 1.25 pounds each. Fit the end of a barbell perfectly. http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Weight-Donuts-Little-Softball/dp/B00I58DJ7U
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    I love my fractional plates! I have 8x 0.25kg. Adds quite a weight to my gym bag, admittedly! But I can go up in increments of half a kilo at a time, and that's great.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I inquired about fractional plates on the fitness/exercise section of the main forums and someone gave me this link:

https://mannixcastro.com/2011/10/08/cheap-fractional-plates-for-microloading/

Something to think about - but it seems more cost-effective than buying fractional plates.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    FWIW - I love my fractional plates, too. I've used them on a few tough exercises. I can see using them in my near future as I'm starting to lift heavy for me.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I got a set off Amazon 2 each -.25 .50, .75 & 1 lbs.
    I use them every workout. Especially useful for OHP, my weakest lift.
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks for the feedback and links ladies! Looks like I need to get shopping :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    I bought 1 lb wrist weights much cheaper. I like Canadianslbs chain link idea too!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I bought 1 lb wrist weights much cheaper.

wow, that's a clever idea. i never even thought of that one.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    I got a set like Sumiblue, and use them pretty much every workout.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    I also have a set I got on Amazon. Not too expensive, but definitely worth the money.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    I've had my fractional plates for 3.5 years. I pretty much bought them right when I started lifting. I don't really use them during my normal training anymore, but it took a lot to get to the point where I could just round to the nearest 5. I'm starting a meet peak next week and I will definitely getting them out for bench. I think they are totally worth it. I do think it would have been cheaper and easier to just get 1.25 lb washers (to add 2.5 lbs to the bar). For the past 2 years that's all I've kept in my bag. It's a lot simpler and lighter!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    I just got my fractional plates and so far I like them. I've only had to use for OHP so far and still trying to figure out which one I should use. I think I might take some weight off and get my form better and then start adding the small plates. I find myself shaking to get the last couple reps out with each set and I see my back arching to compensate. I would recommend.