How do YOU stay motivated?

Options
Pepperh3ad
Pepperh3ad Posts: 117 Member
Hi gang. Thought I would share a little bit this morning. One thing I rarely have trouble with is keeping my motivation up, but it happens on occasion. One of the best ways that I have found to stay motivated is actually to take the focus off of myself. What I mean by that is exemplified right HERE. Pick a good cause, one that you're either already emotionally invested in, or can easily get invested in, and get involved. Cancer killed my father, and his father before him. I hate it immensely. So when I found this opportunity, I didn't have to think about it, I didn't hesitate, I didn't waste any time. I signed up and started preparing. So far in the ride-time, I'm WAY ahead of pace, and have no intentions of slowing down.

So, gang, how do YOU stay motivated? What drives you to stay on track, work harder, and get where you want to be?

Replies

• RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My most recent motivation is the death of someone I have known for 3 years. We attended the same community support center for people suffering mental health issues. She tragically took her own life last week which was devastating for our community group. It was a real wake up call that has made me take a hard look at how I manage my own mental health. For me being very overweight is a constant drain on my self esteem and really impacts my mental health negatively as well as my physical health. My mental illness is not something I can make go away but my weight is something I can change to improve my chances of being happier. I need to up my game.
    https://youtu.be/510qET1FcQU
  • Pepperh3ad
    Pepperh3ad Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So very sorry to hear about your friend, @ObesityWarrior. Very tragic when someone gets to that place in their life.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have two dearly beloved individuals in my life who deal with serious health issues. My husband had a stroke a year ago, and my best friend suffers from back issues and rheumatoid arthritis. Both of them are tremendously strong, get up every day and tackle what they must with courage and good cheer. Nothing stops them! Me? There's nothing physically wrong with me - I'm just fat. So these two people are my daily inspiration. I figure if they can do what they do every day, battling thru the pain, then what's my excuse? So they are what motivates me.
  • animalrob37
    animalrob37 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My motivation is usually seeing the scale number dropping. I've been plateaued in recent weeks but my waist keeps getting smaller. I don't understand what's going on but I just ordered a pair of 40x32 Levi 560s which I haven't worn since 11th grade when I was 70 lbs lighter than now. And music motivates me a lot.
  • readytochange42
    readytochange42 Posts: 43 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Whenever, I'm feeling like I have weak willpower, I remind myself what I'm fighting for... And I say it, out loud, over and over and over to myself until I work thru my weakness.

I'm fighting for time with my kids. I had a heart attack this year. I'm only 44 and my kids are still in elementary school. I'm fighting to be the kind of mom I want to be but have never really been because I'm over 300 pounds. Im fighting to go on hikes with my active kids. I'm fighting to fit in roller coaster seats with them. I'm fighting to be able to zip line with my daughter who goes every year on her birthday. I'm fighting to see them graduate. I'm fighting to watch them get married. I'm fighting to meet my grandchildren.

When I'm feeling weak, I remind myself what I'm fighting for...