June 2016 Book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
Hi Diamondettes - Pardon my absence please. Let's start a new discussion about possibilities for a June book. I have 5 recommendations, and please add to this list so we can discuss which book we want.

Night Road by Kristin Hannah
Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg
Shades of Hope by Tennie McCarty
Tinkers by Paul Harding
Enon by Paul Harding

Do we need to go dark in July again this year?

Mary

Replies

• steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Don't know what I want to read ...someone pick!!! I am doing lots of getting rid of stuff. How does one accumulate so much...exhausting !
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Do you all subscribe to BookBub? It sends a message daily to you e reader or computer of daily sales of books to read online. Today The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah is on sale. Bought it (many friends have recommended it). Could we also consider it as a monthly read for our group?
  • mabug01
    Options
    Sure! Let's add The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah to the list. Would love to hear you, L. It looks like you and I are picking the book because M is busy purging (lots of sympathy from me with this task). We have 6 possibilities this month.
  • mabug01
    Options
    M - it appears L may be busy right now. You picked up The Nightingale; I picked up Night Road. How about if we read our own books and tell each other about the plot as we go along. Maybe we can convince each other to read the other book another time.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I like the idea. Let's compare notes. In chapter 1 of The Nightingale -It is 1995. On the Oregon Coast an ailing woman prepares to leave her home of 50 years. She will move in with her son...her only request is that she keeps with her an old steamer trunk. In the trunk are secrets of a life not yet shared with her family. Ta Dum!

L. Will you pick a book to share? Happy Reading All. Have a nice weekend. M
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hi all, yes I have really been out of touch. I am going to the library tomorrow. I will let you know.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Excellent! Nice to hear from you

M - That book sounds intriguing!

Night Road - We meet a teenager who has been taken in by an aunt after the mother's death. They live in a mobile home park; money is tight and our young woman goes to high school and works a part time job. When she starts high school, she makes friends immediately with a shy, dorky sort of girl who comes from a wealthy family and is also introduced to the friend's very popular fraternal twin.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Night Road - About 100 pages into this novel and I'm still waiting for something to happen! These kids like to attend parties and get drunk, and they are in the thralls of senior-year-high-school love with their boyfriends and bff's. I get the feeling there is going to be bad decisions and agonizing loss in their future
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Ok diamondettes waiting for thenightingale!
  • steppingstones
    Options
    hope everyone has a spectacular 4th.My book, The Nightingale, is very serious but will not comment until Lenore has the book. Happy Summer.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Just got back from a week in Florida. Glad to see everyone is still reading. I've been reading Quiet. It's an analysis of how introverts contribute in special and powerful ways, given the extrovert personality is the "ideal" for the business world. I'm definitely an introvert and have been unfairly judged as a "bad communicator" because of it. Just curious; how many diamondettes are introverts? I'm looking up Nightengale to see if I can get it.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I m quiet but sociable.. I enjoy being by myself and get tired of alot of talk but do enjoy other people.. Not sure how much I would b considered an introvert.. Anyway. I read the Nightingale.. Frightening and terrifying but a great read
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I also have the book, Cell by. Robin Cook and as time goes by by Mary Higgins Clark not sure he'll get into either one of those usually get scared to death of Robin Cook stories
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Yeah no more traumatic stories for now. That holocaust novel was emotionally wrenching.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Is Nightengale a holocaust novel? You sound like mainly and introvert that enjoys the company of people. It's just good to know who we are. It took me decades to figure out some of these important things about myself.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Its well written fictional story about that era in France before during and after the german occupation.. Its abt family community and love too
  • steppingstones
    Options
    The Nightingale is well written and I must admit I put it down for a while as it was emotionally jarring.I have been picking up these light reading specials for my ereader... Doing It Over, Rainy Day SIsters, Finding the Rainbow. Easy reading for hot, summer days. And the cheap Bookbub price!
    I am really an introvert and enjoy the quiet and my own company. I can be social in a situation where I know the other people . But prefer small groups. However, in career , I could be out going when I was speaking about my expertise.
    Maybe we can pick a lighter novel for the next read. I am off to Oregon for a bit. Going with family on a road trip.
    M. Congrats on your health success. That little one is adorable. Are you on the West Coast for now? L You are doing great.
    Happy Weekend Diamonettes
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Yes happy weekend all. Im not reading anything right now
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I just read bestseller, Before the Fall. You know, one of those books you start reading and before you know it it's 3 o'clock in the morning. Finished is in a couple of days. I am on the road again, exploring Oregon. Since we are all going in different directions...shall we pick a book for September? Any book on your bucket lists? Happy sunshine!!
  • mabug01
    Options
    That sounds like a good book, I may have to get that one. I haven't been reading anything lately. I've gotten hooked on crossword puzzles lately. I'm open to suggestions for September, and if I find anything, I will post it here. M - have a really wonderful trip. It's been so hot here, you are not missing anything. L - did you read Cell yet? It sounds interesting. I finally have wheels out here in california; i decided to lease a kia soul. I love the idea of driving a new car every 3 years, at this juncture in my life.