Metformin

Options
bellaa_x0
bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
So I started Metformin in December 2015... I only really had GI issues for the first few days while my body adjusted and then no issues. I am now taking 2,000 mg/day (1,000 mg twice a day) and all of the sudden for the past week, continuing into this week I am having TERRIBLE GI issues from it. Anyone else experience this? I just happen have an endo appointment booked for Thursday, which I am happy about, but this really stinks!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, I had issues with dairy within 2 hours either side of it - or the "white" type carbs - so any sugars, breads, things like that.

Check this thread for more info: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10402485/further-discussion-on-metformin-extracted-from-other-thread#latest
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I think most of my issues, I now find to be more related to low stomach acid, so that could have contributed to the Metformin reactions, too, or been triggered by it, as I know that taking antacids with Met can cause B12 depletion/conflict issues.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes,

If you use Metformin and you drink or eat anything super sugary/fatty it's like your body rejects it. That's why I never wanted to take it years ago is because I'd always be on the toilet like clock work and didn't realize it was because I was eating horribly. Now I'm on 2,000 mg a day and its the extended release capsule which helps me a lot. :) Your body does adjust after a while. Maybe it's something you ate bad that you didn't usually and the meds are telling you about it. If not maybe look into the time release capsules. hope this helps! good luck!
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    I just find it odd since I did not change my diet at all and still had GI issues all week out of no where. Fingers crossed it was just a fluke as I am much better the past few days! If not my doctor mentioned switching to the Extended Release when I saw her this morning.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I have twice out of nowhere developed food sensitivities, gastro distress, dumping, the whole nine - twice in the last 18 months (well, the first time was 6 months in, so maybe twice in the last year)...

Someone posted this article, and I think it was #5 that hit me. I don't know if you have restricted carbs at all, but this can happen. http://nobunplease.com/diarrhea-low-carb-keto-diet/

Actually, I guess it was three times - once to lettuce/greens, of all things. OMG, I thought I had food poisoning, it was that bad. The first time, it was everything I was eating of nutritional value. Had to change brands, foods, modify my dietary plan a lot, etc.

Third time I jumped on the cause pretty quickly, but it was just like I hit a wall. So please look into the stomach acid issue, just to see if it applies. And believe it or not, even though I've had bile/diarrhea issue before, adding the ACV and enzymes stops the issue almost completely. So many folks with metabolic issues have low stomach acid due to years of believing we needed to eat low fats for health, not realizing that fats are the key to hormonal health issues...

Good luck.

I was on the extended release when I had my issues. My doc was talking to me about getting back on the "short dose" just to see if the issues could be avoided. Some work different for different folks, so it never hurts to try something else.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    thanks for the article! i will definitely look into the stomach acid issue. i do restrict carbs (i.e. 95-115g depending on if i am exercising that day or not, 195g on refeeds), but merely because i am cutting otherwise i wouldn't be eating so few... le sigh.
  • LilithGetsHealthy
    LilithGetsHealthy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I was on Metformin I had the worst GI issues. I hope I never have to be on it again. I also felt sick all of the time, but not like in your face sick. Just.. off.
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had GI issues for the first few weeks, and then the side effects disappeared. I've been on metformin now for 15 years. Ask your dr if there is a lower dose you can take for now and slowly add on over time. Your endo should be able to recommend the best time frame for titrating up. Also, take this med on a full stomach. If you end up being on this med for years, make sure you get your B12 checked a few times a year. You should treat any B12 levels below 500 with methyl b12 supplements. It takes roughly 5 years for a B12 deficiency to develop (and only happens to about 25% of metformin users) so this is nothing that needs to worry you now. The good news is that this drug can help regulate your cycles, reduce your PCOS symptoms, help prevent diabetes, and increase your fertility. I luckily got pregnant on metformin alone.
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oops, I missed the part where you've been on it since 12/15. 1000 mg twice a day is the highest dose. Perhaps ask the dr if you can dial it back to 750 mg twice a day to see if that helps your GI side effects but also achieves the results you are looking for in your bloodwork.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Look into diatomaceous earth, too, as a supplement. It's helped mitigate a number of my digestive/GI issues, even above and beyond what probiotics and diet and medications were doing... I've been utterly shocked at what all it helps with, as well as what all it's done for me, personally.