When to add, when to deload? Potential injury :/ Help please

spritey86
spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Hey gang,

I had a tough time on SL last night. Squats felt really heavy (55kg) but not to the point of failure but at times it was almost like my body was collapsing under the weight when pushing back upwards - i struggled to move the weight upwards in a smooth motion.

This morning my back doesn't feel 'right'. Its like an ache with movement but not sharp. Definitely feels muscular. I am inclined to blame the poor form on squats. I have moved from the bar to 55kg pretty consistently but the movement and subsequent lower back ache leads me to believe it may be time to step back and slow down the adding?

I am struggling as a newbie with when to not add and when to push it. Almost feel like i have over pushed but what if its just DOMS in my back muscles? Can this happen? So confused, I obviously dont want to hurt myself.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. did try and get a video but failed miserably

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited June 2016
    if you're not happy with your form and not feeling right after a session at a given weight, then by all means deload or hold off on adding more weight.

don't quote me on this but i thiiiiiink that even if it is doms the fact that it's showed up now still indicates you've reached a point where your form starts to degrade and you're using those muscles in ways that you haven't till now. it sounds like your hips might have been coming up faster than your back could support, so the return happens in two separate movements. first the hips rise (glutes and stuff below them) and then the back finishes the process (ql and other spinal erectors above the glutes). so that's different from a 'normal' squat where the back muscles function mostly isometrically - they just hold your back in a fixed position/angle and don't actually stretch or shorten over the rep. easy for me to say all that, like it's never happened to me :tongue:

there's nothing wrong with deloading. everyone has a weight that's too much for them, and knowing when you've found it is smart.
  • spritey86
    Sounds about right to be honest! When i say that my body almost feels like its collapsing, i guess you described my actions perfectly because it was definitely not a fluid motion as previously and my hips definitely came up faster than my shoulders around the third rep onwards on all sets. It was a shock the first time because it didn't feel right and caught me off guard. Then you start to question if it is right or wrong that it happened and then just went with it because it was the best I could do to complete sets.

I think I will take it back a bit and do some trial and error on form and get some videos. I dont want to walk away from every session feeling like this... or worse.

Thanks for the feedback x
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Remember, you don't need to add weight every session.
    If you're doing this for fitness and health, take it slow and add weight when you're comfortable.

Its hard if you're competitive (even with just yourself), but if you're not trying to be a power lifter, then make your own way.

I've deloaded many times...
  • spritey86
    edited June 2016
    Purely health and fitness reasons. It is really exciting to see the numbers go up and the "wow never going to lift that" turning into completing 5x5 is amazing but obviously I have found my limit. When i got to 50kg, it did become a real scary point. Completing 52.5kg I told myself not to add weight next time but alas, I didn't listen to myself. Overhead press was more obvious to me lol. I am in a calorie deficit so i know that I need to take my time.
    Thank you for your feedback :)
  • canadianlbs
    spritey86 wrote: »
    Sounds about right to be honest! When i say that my body almost feels like its collapsing, i guess you described my actions perfectly because it was definitely not a fluid motion as previously and my hips definitely came up faster than my shoulders around the third rep onwards on all sets.

my trainer caught me at that early on in my sessions with him. so he had two things he started insisting on which might be helpful to you.

1. he diverges from the rippetoe wisdom about 'pointing your nipples at the floor'. in other words, he's not a fan of letting people lean too far forward in the first place. so he started encouraging me to fix my eyes on something further away - hard to do when there's a mirror distracting you, but it helped me. when i'm in the rec centres and stuck with the mirror, i try to focus on something that's actually behind me in the real world. also, for some reason consciously pulling my chin in helps me to stay more upright no matter where my eyes are. 'tennis ball under the chin' kind of cue.

2. his cue when you begin the return is 'try to think about pushing your shoulders back into the bar'. i KNOW i had the opposite impulse when i started to run out of hip drive. it was almost like i'd try to pull down on the bar as if i could use that leverage to bring myself up. what he wanted instead was more the sensation you have when you sit on the floor with your back to the refrigerator, and shove from the soles of your feet.

when i do that second one it's definitely a different feeling. like the 'unfolding' impetus is travelling through the front of my body - abs moving away from my quads. compared with not doing it, where it feels like the work's moving through my back muscles instead.
  • spritey86
    That's really helpful. Thank you. Cant wait to apply it but first, to recover :(
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member

'try to think about pushing your shoulders back into the bar'. i KNOW i had the opposite impulse when i started to run out of hip drive. it was almost like i'd try to pull down on the bar as if i could use that leverage to bring myself up. what he wanted instead was more the sensation you have when you sit on the floor with your back to the refrigerator, and shove from the soles of your feet.

I tried this today and it was so helpful! Thanks :)

• canadianlbs
    yay!
  • spritey86
    Thanks Canadianlbs. Took everything you said on board and it really helped. Adopted a lower bar position but now i am worried about my wrists... need to watch a few more vids.

I think i was somewhere between high and low bar position which was screwing me up also.