Ready, set, GO!

Options
WxGirLiz
WxGirLiz Posts: 23 Member
Like so many here, I've reached a point where I'm ready to try anything to feel good about myself again. Reminiscing about my early adult life and how a friend balked at how fat I was at 5'8" weighing in at a hearty 135 lbs, there's no wonder weight is an annoying preoccupation in the back of so many women's minds. Life caught up to me and before I new it I was up to 220 lbs. At 39 I made a new year's resolution to be 140 by the time I turned 40 in December. I lost about 25lbs by the summer, but then personal and relationship trials and tribulations sidetracked me. Now at 45 I'm up to 218 lbs and I've been trying again to no avail. I've finally admitted I can't do this on my own. A supervisor at work told me about a government funded weight loss Clinic in Ontario. At the start of the year I went to see my doctor for a referral to the clinic. After a 2 month wait I had my first appointment April 21st. There I heard about Saxenda and it's restrictive costs. So we submitted a preauthorization claim to my work health insurance on April 26. May 17 the insurance approved the request for 1 year from April 26 2016 to April 26, 2017. I called my local pharmacy who said the drug is too new and expensive they don't keep it in stock but they could order it with a proof of prescription. It's supposed to arrive today.

Then I started to fret. Is this a good decision? What about the side effects? Will I be able to get off it? After finding this group and reading everyone's stories trials and successes my mind is at ease and I'm ready to get started. I have 11 months to give it a try. My prescription bumps me up a bit each week till I reach 3 mg over about a month. Then I will take the drug for 9 months or until I reach 145 lbs, whichever comes first. Then I will use the last month to taper down.

Thanks for starting this group and for everyone 's candor and advice. Wish me luck and good luck to you all!

Replies

• Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!!
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 1 - Day 1
    Weight 213.2 Dose 0.6
    Let's see what happens!
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 1 - Day 3
    Took a double dose :/
    I haven't had any side effects and after my 0.6 mg shot this morning it didn't look like the plunger was going down at all (I've had 3@0.6mg shots) so I thought maybe it wasn't working. I did the prep squirt again and then took another 0.6 mg shot. Feeling it now! It's been about 3 hours and I still feel pretty nauseous. It's not unbearable...just uncomfortable.
    The plunger is now noticeably going down so I won't do that again.
  • de7inhim
    de7inhim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hope you are doing well. You'll get he hang of it. I screwed the dosage once and had a similar cramping issue. Felt terrible for a while. Stick to the plan.
    De7 inhim
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 1-Day 6
    Totally lost my mind at Mc Donalds last night. Had a Quarter Pounder BLT, Poutine, Iced Tea and then a soft serve Ice Cream at Costco later. Went 1000 calories over my limit. I was surprised I was able to eat so much because since I've started taking Saxenda I've felt full after only a few bites of food. Back on track this morning.
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 2 - Day 1
    Dose - 1.2 mg
    Weight - 212.3 lbs
    Weeks Loss - 0.9 lbs
    Total Loss - 0.9 lbs
    It's a slow start but moving in the right direction.
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 2-Day4
    Attended Wharton Medical Weight Loss Clinic for session 3 - meal plan. I lost 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I'm feeling quite nauseous everyday all day but its tolerable. He said that would continue until I get up to the full 3.0mg strength and then I would get use to it. Sweet foods make me feel worse then savoury. I guess that's good.
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 2-Day 6
    Again had a rough night on evening of day 5. Big time munchies. Stayed away from bad food but had a 50 calorie pepperette and a low cal fudgecicle. After eating, felt gross. Lots of Acid reflux. I need to find a distraction to take my mind of munchies.

On another note...my period started yesterday 6 days early. I wonder if this medication has effected anyone else's menstrual cycle?
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 3 - Day 1
    Dose - 1.8 mg
    Weight - 209.9
    Week loss - 2.4 lbs
    Total loss - 3.3 lbs
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 4 - Day 1
    Dose - 2.4 mg
    Weight - 208.6
    Week Loss - 1.3 lbs
    Total Loss - 4.6 lbs
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 4 - Day 4
    I'm really beginning to notice the positive effects of Saxenda. Side effects of nausea have subsided. I feel full very quickly and if I continue to eat I get terrible indigestion. I need to listen to my body and regardless of what is still on my plate, when I'm full I'm finished. I'm still quite constipated so I'm trying to drink more water.
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 5 - Day 1
    Dose - 3.0 mg (Finally up to the full dose.)
    Attending Wharton Weight Loss Clinic on Tuesday June 21st for an official weigh-in and then again July 21st. Lets see if this stuff works!
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    Week 5 - Day 4
    Weighed 208.0 lbs yesterday. It's a different scale then what I see at home but wil be my full dose marker since I will now be weighed monthly at the clinic.
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    July 21st, 2016 - 208.0 lbs
    After one full month at the full dose I had no change.
    Like others in this group have mentioned, I need to listen to the medication/my body and when I feel full stop consuming calories. I've been on holidays and didn't track, drank to many margaritas and ate too many late night snacks.

It's a new day! Now to get back on track.
  • WxGirLiz
    Options
    I decided to quit taking Saxenda. I quit cold turkey and after 4 days off the medication I became violently ill. Vomiting, rectal bleeding and and abdominal pain. I gained 3.3 lbs after one week. This Saturday I will be going for an upper and lower scope to see what's the damage. I'm thinking ulcers. I will not take this drug again. Time to eat less and exercise more. Will power is the real determinating factor when it comes to weight loss for me.