Anyone counting carbs in addition to proteins?

Options
TryingTeresa
TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
Hello all,
I am struggling trying to lose the last 25 lbs (lost 140+). Yesterday I overheard a women on a podcast say that she had lost 140 lbs and to lose the remaining she went on s strict low carb regimen. She had not had any type of surgery.

I was wondering if any of y'all are counting carbs and if so, what percentage or how many grams a day?
thanks for any help
Teresa

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I eat ketogenic, so my carbs are 20, or less. I've been at this level for over a year, with great results (3 pounds from goal weight and now have a normal BMI!). Began in April, 2015, at 231, and am now 168! :smiley: Low carb is considered to be anything below 150 gm a day. I wish I had found the Ketogenic way of eating years ago, as I would have not been in the situation to feel I needed WLS!

An online calculator (that works for anyone, not just keto) that I've used to calculate macros is this one:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

One thing to remember: when eating low carb the need to replace them with fat (butter, coconut oil, olive oil) is very important! Otherwise feeling hungry will be terrible! Fat increases the level of satiety, making low carb very easy to sustain. And avoid using vegetable oils (canola, and margarine...). They are chemically produced making them foreign to the body. They create inflammatory responses for many (including myself), and are terribly unhealthy!

A properly executed low carb diet (I hate the word diet!) will lead to control over food! No cravings for junk! Ability to go hours, and hours, without being hungry! Leads to a very healthy relationship with food!

Best of luck to you! I'm always open to new friends, but please tell me which group you're from if you do send me a friend request! :smile:
  • TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, thanks for the info. I'm going to definitely check out the website.
  • BitterGrace
    BitterGrace Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do usually. Today was horrible due to stress and I ate poorly. Still within my calories, but definitely too high with carbs. I usually try to stick between 30-40g net, which keeps me in ketosis. Typically it's 20g or less. That website linked is great. There are also some Facebook groups, too!

Ketogenic diets are really the way to go. I feel so amazing on this.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had some regain after I started adding carbs back into my diet. Even if I was within my calories, which I wasn't always, they just didn't seem to work with my chemistry. I have been working closely with my surgeon and he has eating a very low carb diet, just the carbs I might get from veggies or yogurt, etc., and go figure I am losing again. Some people can handle carbs, clearly I can't!
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can't handle carbs, either. Before I got sick, I was amazing with my weight loss. After I got sick, I was instructed to eat whatever I could keep down. I got addicted to sugar again and am working on this problem but I have gained a good amount of weight back. Not all of it, but some. I am also going to look into this ketogenic thing. I, too, obviously can't handle carbs. They're mean!