New Wheel Advice :)

Options
stewartlayzell
stewartlayzell Posts: 36 Member
Morning All,

I’m looking at making my first big bike purchase - New Wheels :)

Now my main goal is to go faster on the bike. I hate climbing but love trying to go fast. I recently had a bike fit which has helped with my position and now it’s time to move my cycling onto he next step.

I have been scouring the internet for the best wheels within my price range (About £600) and keep coming back to these - https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/mavic-cosmic-pro-carbone-clincher-wheelset-25c-white-2016-p292912

Just wondering if anyone has advice on if these are good wheels or any recommendations.

Cheers
Stewart

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd go for the Shimano RS81 C50's - pretty much the same "ethos" as the Mavic's - i.e. Deep section Alu/Carbon composite factory wheels. Only difference being, the Shimano's are pretty much as reliable, solid and dependable as the average Anvil. Mavic's - not so much... Just ask @cloggsy71 how many times his Mavic's have been back to the shop / distributor for problems - freehub exploding, spokes coming loose etc. etc.

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Mavic's - not so much... Just ask @cloggsy71 how many times his Mavic's have been back to the shop / distributor for problems - freehub exploding, spokes coming loose etc. etc.

Yeah, indeed... The Mavic's, although nice are not very 'robust'. I'm on my 3rd rear wheel, which have thankfully been replaced under warranty.

My next purchase will be Shimano's I think; far more robust and reliable. Either C24's (lightweight climbing - 1502g), C35's (all-rounder - 1631g) or C50's (Aero - 1908g)...

Wheel weights courtesy of Wiggle ;)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I'm sorely tempted by the c35's myself - though I must admit, it's partly because they're pretty much the only wheel manufacturer that don't put a ridiculous low max. rider weight on their hoops... well - that, and the fact that I've got the Ultegra WH-6700's (the 10 speed ultegra alu. hoops) which have done over 25,000km, haven't ever needed touching with the spoke spanner in all that time, and are still straight as a die, perfectly round, and haven't even needed the cup and cone bearings servicing in all that distance - with me at upwards of 110kg for most of the distance!

• stewartlayzell
    stewartlayzell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Think i might be tempted to purchase the C50's. A few people now have mention that the Mavic's are not reliable. I just can’t get over how nice they look :smiley:
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Racing Zero probably will be my next purchase but undecided clincher or 2-way.

C24 is my current everyday wheelset, also have C35 in the closet it is seriously fast and I really like its stiffness but I climb faster on C24 and I am too lazy to change wheels for the Sunday coffee rides (yes, I am that lazy :D ...)
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    When I bought my last bike, I told the LBS that I wanted a bike that went fast. The owner told me to lose 30 pounds. I would do more than any bike. And, he was right. I did get new shoes this week that fit better and my speed has improved. But, I will never call myself fast.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I ride the C24's as a daily training wheel with the same kind of luck Mark mentions - no problems of any kind or truing needed. I also have a set of C50's in tubular which is my mostly go to race wheel. Again no complaints. I have not ridden the C35's but have several close friends that have them and except for being a little more twitchy in cross winds they are also problem free.