Sleep poll. How much do you get?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I am going to post this in the general fitness forum as well, but I am mainly interested in runner's answers.

1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get?
2. Do you feel like it is enough?
3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your mileage?
4. Does you sleep affect your training?

I used to average about 7 hours of sleep per night. Since I got my puppy, I have to get up an extra half hour earlier to feed and walk her. I have not really found a way to compensate for the extra half hour. I have tried going to bed a little earlier, but I find that I don't really fall asleep until at least 11. I think that missing the extra half hour of sleep has had an impact on my endurance, especially if I want to run in the morning. Even though I am already up and dressed, it's just really hard to get going and my legs always feel tired.

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For me it depends. I don't have to be up until about 7am but I wake up naturally anywhere from 5:30-6:30 usually. I go to bed around 10:30 each night so I end up with 7-8 hours of sleep. I know I'm over-training or pushing too hard if I make it to the alarm, or have trouble getting up in the morning. I typically don't need more sleep in peak training as long as I'm not trying to build mileage too quickly; but I definitely need a nap later in the day if I run for more than 2 hours in the morning. I also move slowly in the morning. I need a cup of coffee while taking care of the dogs, then a light breakfast before my run. (I'm a lucky gal that doesn't have to be in the office until 9-9:30).
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Looking back for the past month or so on my watch data I get about 8 hours and that's probably consistent going back many months of varying mileage. Sometimes it's a bit more, sometimes a bit less but 8 average and I feel it's plenty. I'm a early morning runner, starting about 5:30-5:45 so i'm typically in bed by 9:00 p.m. I get up about 5:15 without the use of an alarm and have done that for many years now regardless of the time I go to sleep. What I've found is that summer running leaves me more drained than fall/winter/spring running. My mileage does increase in the summer but my pace decreases as well. Heat sucks the life out of me more than lack of sleep.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    1. 7
    2. LOL, no. I have to sometimes catch up with a nap on the weekends.
    3. No, it doesn't seem to be a factor for me as long as I get adequate sleep.
    4. Yes. Yesterday I was on the struggle bus and feeling lethargic and a bit hypoglycemic for the first 4 miles of my run. I had 6-1/2 to 7 hours of sleep the past couple of nights. Not getting adequate sleep also messes with my appetite and I feel ravenous even though I've eaten enough.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get? Generally 7.5 hours
    2. Do you feel like it is enough? More times than not, yes. Although, I do like the occasional nap ;-)
    3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your mileage? No. haven't seen the need
    4. Does you sleep affect your training? only if I don't get enough (sleep) which isn't often.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1. I usually get 9 hours
    2. Sometimes I worry it's too much
    3. Aside from the before mentioned nap after a long run, no
    4. yes, if I don't get enough I feel lethargic, can't make my legs move, or just don't want to go out at all.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    1. It varies. When I'm healthy, averaging between 7 and 7.5 hours is good enough. When I'm sick or injured, I want over 8. When my body will soak up 9 hours of sleep, that's a sign that either I've been sleep deprived or my body has some serious healing work to do.
    2. Much of the time I get enough sleep, but periodically I run short and have to put more focus on getting to bed earlier. Sleeping later in the morning is usually not feasible for me.
    3. I haven't noticed a correlation between sleep time and mileage. If there is one, it's probably indirect. fFor example, injury could require reduced mileage and increased sleep.
    4. Yes. When I don't get enough sleep, the wheels come off, motivation goes into the crapper, and training kind of falls apart.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I generally get between 5 and 6.
    I could do with more, although frequently find if I crash earlier I wake up earlier
    I can't really add any more sleep
    If I'm tired it can affect my motivation to train
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    1. 7-9 depending on the night
    2. 2. I'm getting a decent amount, seems good
    3. um...My sleep is less on nights before long mileage days because I get up extra early to get my running in
    4. Sleep, or lack thereof doesn't seem to effect my training that I can tell.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get? 7 to 8 hours a night
    2. Do you feel like it is enough? yes most of the time
    3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your mileage? not really, only on the day of a long run, I'll tend to want an hour nap in the afternoon
    4. Does you sleep affect your training? I think it does, lack of makes for a lazy run
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    1. I get 8 hours most nights (small children are a bit of a hindrance in this department) and like to be in bed for about 9 hours.
    2. As long as the sleep is unbroken, it's plenty - enough good nights in a row and I'll bounce out of bed. Bad sleep is the enemy on so many fronts, running included.
    3. No, although, the more I run, the better I sleep so potentially, although the hours of sleep don't increase, the quality of sleep does.
    4. Sleep, or lack thereof, definitely affects my training. Not just physically but mentally. I find it much harder to push myself - whether the run is about speed or distance - when I'm tired.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get? Anywhere from 4 to 7
    2. Do you feel like it is enough? Not even close
    3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your mileage? I'm going to have to
    4. Does you sleep affect your training? Yes

I work early morning shifts . . . I'm up for the day at 2:30am. If/when I can have lights out by 8:30pm, I'm reasonably rested. Many nights, that's impossible (for a variety of child-related reasons) and a 9:30-10pm bedtime is more likely. I nap almost daily . . . even if just for 20 minutes. I do my long runs on my days off, when I am more likely to get 6+ hours of sleep. I know I need more sleep consistently . . . it's something I've been striving for for YEARS and just can't seem to make happen.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get? Average about 7.25hrs
    2. Do you feel like it is enough? Usually yes, although Sunday's LSR gives me an excuse for a cat nap in the chair afterwards
    3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your mileage? No, I've not found I need to
    4. Does you sleep affect your training? More the other way around - training is the only natural cure for the insomnia I've suffered from since my late teens.
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    During the summer, I get anywhere from 6.5-7.5 hours, usually the lower end. When school starts back up, it is usually around 5-6. My kids' schedules are tough on my sleep.

I know when I am overtraining because i sleep even less and have a lot of trouble staying asleep.

Sleep and I have been frenemies for years.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I normally get 5 to 5 1/2 hours. I have been getting that amount now for so long that it feels like "enough", though at a weekend when I'm not running I never wake up until my daughter wakes.
    I would love to increase my sleep time but sadly work and life mean that bed before 11:30pm is normally pretty hard and I can't really get up after 5am.
    It probably does affect my training but as this is what I get, I guess I'm use to training with that much rest.