Some questions about inositol (some TMI)

Options
AlyssaDarby13
AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
Back story:
Ok, so I ordered my Jarrow inositol last week. And received it on Wednesday. I started taking it straight away. I was aware taking too much right off the bat could cause severe stomach problems, so I started with the recommended basic dosage, which is 1/4 tsp, or 600mg. I noticed general improvements right away. I had only slept a couple of hours Tuesday night, but I managed the entire day without a nap. Thursday I also had increased energy, but noticed that my appetite was gone. I couldn't finish any of my meals that day. Friday my appetite was even less (if that was possible), and when I forced myself to eat (only breakfast and dinner) I got quite queasy, even though I didn't eat much. Saturday I had a mild queasy feeling all day, but for some reason decided it would be a great idea to scarf down an entire can of tomato soup for dinner. Between 7am-3pm (now) I have spent most of my day on the toilet with severe diarrhea.

So...As for my real questions:
1. What dosage do you find works for your PCOS symptoms? Based on googling, I've found that 2-4g seems to be the ideal, but I want info from other women who either are or have taken it.
2. What is the best schedule to raise my dosage? Wait until side effects wear off before a dosage raise? Go up 1/4 tsp every week until I reach ideal dosage? 2 weeks? Once a month?
3. Are the side effects I'm having (loss of appetite, queasiness/nausea, and diarrhea) normal, even at the low dosage I'm on?
4. Will said side effects go away, or is this a sign that inositol isn't for me?
5. Are there any other supplements I should take in addition to or instead of inositol to help my hormones regulate? Right now I'm looking at vitex and maca root.

Replies

• Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I take the jarrow brand and do not experience any side effects, basically helps my mood and energy. So I may not be of help but if you're that sensitive to it maybe you don't need a high dose??
  • AlyssaDarby13
    Options
    Update:

After day 5-6 my stomach issues calmed down some, so at the 1 week mark I did up the dosage to 1/2 teaspoon. So far, so good. I will keep going up once a week until I reach 1 1/2 teaspoon (3600 mg), and see how that goes.

Other questions still remain. lol
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You do seem very sensitive to the inositol, which is great - it means you can probably get away with a lower dose (2000 to 2400mg). Titrating upwards as you are doing would be my suggestion (I'm a licensed naturopathic doctor).

Vitex is fantastic for regulating your progesterone levels, which can often be low in women with PCOS. This means that you will likely get more regular periods and have a greater chance of actually ovulating (which means your follicles may actually decrease in number). I'd say take the same slow and cautious approach with vitex, in case your system is also sensitive to herbs as you have been to the inositol.

Some of my patients have responded well to maca, some not so much. It's great for boosting energy, but if you feel like your energy levels are fine as they are then maybe not the herb you really need.
  • AlyssaDarby13
    Options
    Thank you. :-)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    o.O

One of the things that make Inositol great is its definitive lack of side effects in general. A "high dose" for Inositol is considered 12-18g. So no, those side effects are not typical, at least not at the dose you're at. It could just be, however, that you're GI tract is more sensitive than most. It wouldn't hurt to titrate up from a low dose. A probiotic might also be beneficial.

Vitex and maca are common ones. I've also been toying around with Astragalus root, which is known to help manage blood sugar, among other things.
  • AlyssaDarby13
    Options
    My GI is super sensitive. That's probably all it was. But, it seems to have fully cleared up, even with the higher dose. I take a probiotic daily, so I'm good there.

I think I may stick with just inositol for now, as it did give me my first "real" period in about 3 years. So, I'm hopeful it's all I'll need. :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @AlyssaShively - Also look into using diatomaceous earth. It sounds wacky, but it's helping me so much in the digestive distress areas...
  • AlyssaDarby13
    Options
    Interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks.
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi Alyssa,
    I take 4g of inositol twice a day to help with both anxiety and pcos with no side effects. This is typically an exceptionally well tolerated supplement until you get to higher doses, and you can read about studies done at various doses here: http://examine.com/supplements/Inositol/
    It's possible that you could have gotten a stomach bug coincidentally at the same time as starting the inositol, but if you feel that the inositol was definitely the cause, I would recommend that you titrate up based on your symptoms. Once you reach a week at a dose with no GI upset, then go up 1/4 of a teaspoon, etc. Another supplement that goes well with inositol is D Chiro Inositol. It is however very important to take it in the proper ratio to inositol, especially if you are hoping to get pregnant. 40:1 of inositol to d chiro inositol is ideal, based on the studies I've seen. Inositol in most studies is given approximately 3 months for full effect. Good luck! :)
  • Alismother
    Alismother Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you need to take folic acid with the inositol powder?
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi Alismother - folic acid is not necessary to take with inositol. You see it included in some inositol pills because often women taking inositol are trying to conceive, and folic acid is crucial in prenatals for preventing some birth defects.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Additionally, Folate is the preferred form, for actual absorption, and hardly anything contains folate. It's all the less active/absorbed Folic Acid. Personally, if it doesn't have folate instead of folic acid, I'd avoid it on principal. Additionally, as @stacicali indicated, it's just paired for some supplements. Powders and such that allow you to get to therapeutic doses easier don't generally include it. I prefer individual formulations so I can get the amount I want of each item...