Its ok to lose weight??

Options
Veeedot
Veeedot Posts: 122 Member
I live in the uk and i'm currently 26+3 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby. When i first went to see the midwife, it was january and i was already abit over weight plus gained extra from christmas. I explained i was worried about my weight, having had complicated pregnancies and emergency c sections. She said its safe and i could lose weight while pregnant.

Altough i wanted to I decided not to actively try to lose weight while but prevent gaining to much so i eat maintainence calories and exercise. Ive gained about 8lbs so far which im happy with.

Has anyone else been told this?
If so, has anyone tried it?

Replies

• aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was told it was ok to lose during the 1st trimester, & that I'd probably "bounce back" during the second trimester. I ended up dropping almost 20# in the first trimester (despite never really being sick...my metabolism LOVES early pregnancy apparently), and I'm currently 24+5 & still down over 5# from my pre-pregnancy weight. My doctor told me that it was ok, since my baseline pre-pregnancy is "overweight" that I can aim for a zero-gain pregnancy, but that I should be proud if I can keep it within 15# (which at this point is my max-gain goal).

BUT: My doctor said I shouldn't intentionally TRY to lose weight while pregnant, though. That's just kind of where I shook out when eating at maintenance with moderate exercise, mainly being walking (I had been on a weight-reduction program when I got pregnant).
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My doctor told me that even if you start obese you shouldn't try to lose weight when pregnant. He claims every pregnant woman should have some kind of a weight gain (even if it's minimal). I will say he is very old school. He actually delivered my little brother who is now 32 years old. so....Personally, I find being pregnant stressful enough. I'm not adding another stressor like trying to lose weight during pregnancy. Enjoying this since it's my last pregnancy. I'm up 4lbs in 11 weeks. I'm good with that.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I work in a community health clinic, and the midwife at our office has one patient right now who was so overweight during pregnancy, the medical recommendation IS for her to lose - but she is well over the 350 mark. Unless you are that high, I wouldn't think actively trying to lose weight would be recommended. I would say that you're doing a pretty great job managing your gain though.

http://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html

I use that calculator to make sure that I'm on track. I went off the rails for a bit with lots of eating out, but after a week of stabilizing the water weight has come off and I'm back where I should be.

My doctor says to eat when I'm hungry, but mindfully. Make sure your diet is balanced and you're eating to comfortably satisfied and not stuffed, give in to cravings every now and again, keep moving, and remember to enjoy your pregnancy. She says that's the secret to weight management success in pregnancy.
  • lesleykc
    lesleykc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost 11 pounds since the start of January (when I was about 6 weeks along) and have gained it all back up to this point. So I guess I'm all even now, and I have 9 weeks left till my scheduled c section. My baby is growing totally normal and I'm measuring within range. I think it's fine to lose weight as long as you and your baby are doing all good at the same time! My doctor was impressed that I was taking excerising and nutrition very seriously and encouraged me to keep it up. I wouldn't recommend a drastic cutting of calories or working out for hours (if you weren't already!) I just carefully watched what I ate and have been doing about 3 spin classes a week.
  • Veeedot
    Veeedot Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm glad i didnt listen..
    I dont think i could cut my calories down if i tried atm im constantly hungry lately. before gettin pregnant i ran 3 times a week and ate 1200cals but I'm just goin try not worry to much til i have baby. According to that website im gaining the right ammount i happy with that ☺
  • happysocks
    happysocks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, my midwife told me it was okay to 'maintain' my weight but not lose it.