consistency

Options
mitsimr
mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
Ok where do I start? I have done zumba (the classes I had to stop and doing it from home just isn't as fun.) I have started a kettle bell routine. I tried to join a gym for strong lifts 5×5 (financial concerns stopped this as well). Then there was the nerd fitness beginner body weight program, c25k, walking, and the Jillian Michaels programs. I am now looking at yoga. I have trouble sticking to anything more than a day or two. Do any of you have any tips for how you built a consistent program? I am not worried about it weight loss wise because my diet takes care of that. I want to look good and avoid as much loose skin as possible after the weight is lost.

Replies

• hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Variety is my friend. A personal trainer friend suggested finding a routine and sticking with it for 6-10 weeks, then changing it up. If not changed every 6-10 weeks, the muscles adapt.
  • fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out exercising and trying to figure out what I like that I can do at home. I'm finding out that for me just now I plan the time and fill it with a you tube video...I have to have picked the video before my allotted time and I have to finish whichever video I start. I get to pick if I want to do it again another day.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,322 Member
    Options
    I love to walk. My hubby comes with me on my nightly walk and we get to talk and just be together, which isn't akways easy with 5 kids!
  • valerieblaydes
    valerieblaydes Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think friendship(s) are the key. Either join with a friend or make friends in the class you choose, so that the people keep you coming back. Like being here, having faces you want to see will keep you loyal.
  • mitsimr
    Options
    I can't afford classes right now and my friends have no interest in working out. I keep asking though. I know I would do better if that was the case. I have one friend I hope I've about got convinced though.
  • mitsimr
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. You are all awesome.
  • hoovhome
    Options
    It is tough being the only exerciser in the house of 4 adults and several near me who keep saying they want to walk or work out. YouTube has been beneficial to me. I have a Total Gym, but even then, I need variety, so I switch up the workouts and push myself on intensity. I admire each of you for making this commitment and battling through. Each individual will have their own set of issues, but the common thread of support and accountability are INVALUABLE! Thank you all for sharing the journey. :blush:
  • mitsimr
    Options
    The support is amazing. I especially like how , unlike the message boards, no one gets up on their high horse on what you should and shouldn't do. For example I was asking people to share healthy swaps one day and I posted some of my favorites. Well many of them involve cauliflower though I am not doing low carb. I have nothing against low carb. It is just not for me. Well I didn't mention that last part and people gave me grief. I comment there but no longer post. Here everyone is awesome
  • FitMeBetter
    FitMeBetter Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You are right, Ladies. This is a special group! We have a common goal, offer each other encouragement and have no need to judge.
    Mitsi, I struggle with consistency, too, but I have the solution for you: Move out to California and we can find something we both like and workout together!
  • hoovhome
    Options
    You are right, Ladies. This is a special group! We have a common goal, offer each other encouragement and have no need to judge.
    Mitsi, I struggle with consistency, too, but I have the solution for you: Move out to California and we can find something we both like and workout together!

LOL. I visited California once - San Diego and Coronado's Silver Strand Beach. It was a wonderful time and everyone was sooooo fit. I was about 28 pounds lighter than I am now and I felt like a whale! :wink: I may visit again someday, but it will be after I reach goal weight here on the ranch.
  • mitsimr
    Options
    On my way @FitMeBetter sounds like a plan lol
  • hoovhome
    Options
    You ladies have a blast and we will cheer you on! Just thinking about it makes me feel better. Yesterday we were out of town all day and got home at an outdoor temperature of 71 with heat index of 91 and humidity in the 90s. Thinking about variety and my to do list, I waited until 7:45 PM and went outside to flip IBC tanks (128 lbs) from along a fenceline uphill (halfway) to the barn. I did this for 45 minutes to accomplish both exercise and one item off the checklist!!!!
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hi, I try to at least walk daily and if i make 4-5 times a week happy. Sometimes my hubby comes but I actually walk further alone. Check out the meetup groups online in your area, there is a walking and hiking group in my area. I wasn't sure who they were but i have done a few hikes with them, they are doing more intense stuff so waiting till next short one. I just started yoga like it but right now we have camping and trip planned next few weeks. I am waiting for new gym to be built to join, won't be until next spring though. I feel off because we moved and i lost all of my workout friends and gym class i loved.
  • FitMeBetter
    Options
    hoovhome wrote: »

LOL. I visited California once - San Diego and Coronado's Silver Strand Beach. It was a wonderful time and everyone was sooooo fit. I was about 28 pounds lighter than I am now and I felt like a whale! :wink: I may visit again someday, but it will be after I reach goal weight here on the ranch.

@hoovhome You are more than welcome to join us. LOL! The more the merrier. The weather has been a little hot the past 3 days, but, for the most part, it's really nice. I live about 90 mins from the mountains, and about 60-90 mins from the beach, depending on traffic. (Now THAT is awful here!)

I agree with healthymarla. Walking is great. I find that if I listen to a good podcast, I hardly notice the time and my pace and distance are usually better than expected. I know how good it is to strength train. I'm just so inconsistent about it. I need to focus and stick to a schedule instead of allowing my feeling dictate what I do.
    Keep at it everyone!
  • FitMeBetter
    Options
    Oh, and hoovhome, everyone in California is NOT FIT! Not even close.
  • mitsimr
    Options
    I think I would enjoy free weights if I had some or could join a gym. I used to love it when I was younger. I am trying to stick to 30 day shred right now.
  • hoovhome
    Options
    Oh, and hoovhome, everyone in California is NOT FIT! Not even close.

I think it was probably the particular group of folks I encountered while I was there - probably not the average. LOL
  • hoovhome
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »
    I think I would enjoy free weights if I had some or could join a gym. I used to love it when I was younger. I am trying to stick to 30 day shred right now.

When I get a little stronger, I will do some free weights, but until then I must stick with my machine that keeps the likelihood of injury low. Yesterday, I flipped three IBC tanks (128 lbs each, empty, one at a time) up a slight grade and into the barn, which is about 80 yards. Then hubby and I loaded 7 on a flatbed trailer and then unloaded them at the barn. I have 10 more to go, so will do that tomorrow. It took me a little over an hour and I deducted for the time it took to walk back to the tanks from the barn and to open the gate. That was 45 minutes logged and with the heat and humidity, had me and my clothes dripping with sweat. It is that kind of variety I need because it accomplishes both plyometric exercise and a chore. :wink:
  • mitsimr
    Options
    Dang girl...that does sound like a workout
  • hoovhome
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »
    Dang girl...that does sound like a workout

LOL. It definitely was a workout. As happens here often, other priorities took over and I didn't get a chance to move the other 10 yet. Today I am stuck doing computer work with a deadline. :neutral: