How To Maximize MFP & FitBit

Options
Dgoldfe13
Dgoldfe13 Posts: 2 Member
Hey Guys. I have had FitBit for almost 2 years, I am recently new to MFP. I would like to maximize them. Not sure how to do so with the calorie counting. I am on my feet all day as a sports coach so I don't have the activity counter running on my Fitbit. (Should I?)

How do I maximize the calorie counting and burning for both programs?

My Fitbit step count is at an average of 30,000. When I log my food on MFP, it still always says 0 calories for exercise. The FitBit program has activities recorded like "Sport". I assume it is reading my HR and marking it down as an activity. Then that doesn't transfer over to MFP.

Anyone have an idea how to maximize both programs so that it is as simple as logging food and getting the estimates for cals burned vs eaten?

Replies

• GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't know about maximizing but it sounds to me (I'm no expert) that you should log your food in MFP. Then let Fitbit deal with steps/activity. Since, you're not doing a set exercise so much as just being on your feet. Fitbit may recognize some activity (It gets some Walks for me) but they don't show up in MFP except as Steps. I do get calories burned credit in MFP from the steps recorded from Fitbit.

So that's how I deal with mine: Sync the two. Do Food in MFP. Do steps/activity in Fitbit.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That kind of daily activity is handled just fine by means of step tracking leading to distance giving a calorie burn.

On HR-based device, doing activity tracking just started per-second logging and talk about a battery killer.

Besides - HR probably isn't elevated into exercies zone anyway for a decent estimate of calories burned anyway.
    Step based still better.

You'll want to read the FAQ in the stickies as you have a couple misconceptions how the 2 work together (what syncs to MFP & how to confirm if syncing is enabled).

Follow the FAQ for best setup of exactly what you are desiring.

Which was stated by @gabinkap also.