ajff Posts: 986 Member
13.1 miles
860 steps
beans

Replies

• ajff
    Options
    So.... any apps that will track steps? I dread the thought of counting stair steps on vacation!
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    ajfuelling wrote: »
    So.... any apps that will track steps? I dread the thought of counting stair steps on vacation!

They said that I flight equals 12 steps on average so to make it easier count 72 flights. There's a free app called Pedometer that you can download to your phone too. Also only count steps up not steps down as this is a climbing challenge.

• Mjtckwnow
    Options
    Just a heads up team....My quad pain is getting worse and it's now been 4 weeks :(

Heading to the doctor today and hoping for good news and maybe a cortisone shot to help it.

I'm probably for sure out for the steps challenge but still should be able to get the 13.1 miles with just daily activity although I'd rather run it! Plus I'm good for the beans challenge too.

If I'm off all weight bearing exercises I'll just log a bunch of time doing core work and lifting free weights on my exercise ball.

Since this is such as short leg, I think the winning team will come from the bonus points of going over mileage so I won't slack off time wise :)

Good luck to everyone this week...I'll check in after my Dr.'s appointment this afternoon. Send me good thoughts!!!!!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas for the bean challenge? I'm guessing this is supposed to be something more than a side of green beans, like a main dish? Can do salsa chicken or something like similar that has beans in them, or what? Seems vague to me but I don't want to ask on the main Q&A thread if I'm the only one who is thinking about this too much...
  • BirdParrott
    BirdParrott Posts: 35 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm just gonna make my favorite bean snack. I'm taking these challenges as personalizable to some extent because of the vagueness. The less I have to conform or abide by rules in my life the better :)
  • Jaeek
    Jaeek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of making some sort of veggie burger but yeah, I think anything with beans in it would count. All of the bean dishes I can think of are vegetarian

I've done 360 stairs today. Decided to split it into sets of 10 climbs so 120 stairs in each set. Makes it seem a smaller number
  • Meowler
    Meowler Posts: 115 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @highlandshoppa I'm sorry to hear you've been in pain. I hope it's nothing serious and fingers crossed it goes well with the doctor.

@rusgolden For some reason baked beans on toast screams at me but it doesn't seem very creative, haha! I was browsing some options today and will probably do something with chickpeas (garbanzo beans). This recipe appealed to me.

Personally not sure how I'm going to tackle the step challenge as there aren't really any tall, public places with stairs that I could visit. Despite living in an apartment I don't think my neighbours would appreciate me running up and down our creaky stairs hundreds of times. Will probably have to step on and off a stool 860 times - better check it with Q&A first though. Atleast my quads and glutes will get a great exercise. :D
  • 2016summerfun
    2016summerfun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the beans on toast ( i'm English lol ) .... The 13.1 mile and 859 steps should be doable for me.
  • Meowler
    Meowler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @2016summerfun Go for it! I used to put a thick layer of butter on the toast and then mix cheese in to the beans. That was of course before I started counting calories - I try to avoid butter these days and opt for something more nutritious/filling. Was delicious though... good on chips too. Got me started now!
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Thanks all... mileage and steps won't be an issue for me this week. I work on the 27th floor, and only need to average about 172 steps UP a day during work days. I think this will be a good lunchtime exercise so I don't have to worry about the hot or rainy weather. I'm not going to worry about counting mileage from my fitness tracker though since it will be difficult to pull the amount of steps from the stairs from my total and I have 4 runs scheduled this week, so won't have an issue reaching the 13.1 miles with just those.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Here's a tip for tracking your stairs throughout the week... I'm using the Insert Note feature on the spreadsheet and entering the number of stairs I did for the day.
  • ajff
    Options
    I had a great day today!

a jog, a walk, (6.25 miles) and a garden session

Husband showed me that my iphone has a step (elevation) counter on it. I rarely carry it in my pocket, but I will give it a whirl tomorrow and see how it works! We have a 2 level house and a set of stairs that leads from our 2nd floor walk out to our garden. Today I did a measly 58 stairs. This is going to be a hard challenge for me, I think!

As to beans, I am posting my quinoa/bean salad on our other team board.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I just went up and down 250 stairs at my fiends house in between episodes of game of thrones :smiley:
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can't believe how clumsy I am... Tripped this morning while going down the stairs, managed to hold my balance but hurt my little toe doing that. It's swollen and hurts.. But hopefully it's not broken.. Can still walk (like a penguin) and move the toe a little. Trying to figure out which cardio exercises I can manage to do with that to be able to gather some minutes. Kickboxing is out for this week.
    Think the stationary bike will be manageable to get minutes and I can swim I think. But the stairs and walking challenge is probably out..
    For the beans - do you think a read bean bun (bun filled with sweet red bean paste) counts for beans?
  • littlebarry
    littlebarry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Managed to hike 6.4 Miles today with 1047 ft of climbing. Unfortunately, none of that included stairs. :/ Did manage 256 stair/steps in house.

Cardiotrainer is a great free app. It tracks all sorts of exercises. I use it for hiking. It tracks your hike on a google map (satellite if you want), and keeps a history. It also totals all of your history, and you can see how far you've gone since you started. I just reached Minnesota, from Southern CA. (it has taken several years). It uses the GPS in your phone, so it's pretty accurate.
  • 2016summerfun
    Options
    @KatKat1209 Ouch get a pack of frozen peas on it to bring out the bruise it will ease the pain.
    BTW. It took me 8 mins to do your energizing morning workout thanks for posting it x
  • iheartcookies2
    iheartcookies2 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @KatKat1209 Ouch, that sounds painful!

Are we supposed to walk/jog those 13.1 miles at once, or can it be divided? I thought I saw no partials, but just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand that. I have no idea what I will make with beans, maybe some kind of bean sallad.
  • 2016summerfun
    Options
    @ iheartcookies2. its over the week. also the steps.
  • iheartcookies2
    iheartcookies2 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @ iheartcookies2. its over the week. also the steps.

Thank you :)
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    Ok so turns out my daily life only gives me 62 stairs...going to have to put some actual effort into this!
    I laid off all cardio due to my leg yesterday (Ortho appointment on Thursday morning) but did a very, very sweaty fullbody + weights workout on the exercise ball. It kicked by butt :) & I only completed 2 of the 3 circuits - something to work towards improving on.
    I completed the beans challenge yesterday with a "Baja" Cobb salad & I'll post that and another one of my favorite bean salads on the team thread on the main page.
    Have a great one High-Flying Team 5!