Week 2 Challenge: Boston

Options

Replies

• osche731
    osche731 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    So excited... one trip down or up the stairs at work is 81 steps!!! I'll be to 860 in no time!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Well, I just completed the stair challenge by mistake... lol. I had miscalculated the steps yesterday... was only counting 1 flight of 10 stairs per floor and there are 2 flights per floor. I did 22 floors yesterday and another 21 today. Yea, me! B)
  • rusgolden
    Options
    osche731 wrote: »
    So excited... one trip down or up the stairs at work is 81 steps!!! I'll be to 860 in no time!

Awesome! Just remember only steps UP count for the challenge. :)
  • osche731
    Options
    Yep, I remember. Was just amazed how many steps I could take in a day!!
  • BirdParrott
    BirdParrott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    KatKat1209 wrote: »
    Sometimes I can't believe how clumsy I am... Tripped this morning while going down the stairs, managed to hold my balance but hurt my little toe doing that. It's swollen and hurts.. But hopefully it's not broken.. Can still walk (like a penguin) and move the toe a little. Trying to figure out which cardio exercises I can manage to do with that to be able to gather some minutes. Kickboxing is out for this week.
    Think the stationary bike will be manageable to get minutes and I can swim I think. But the stairs and walking challenge is probably out..
    For the beans - do you think a read bean bun (bun filled with sweet red bean paste) counts for beans?

For cardio when walking and such is out focus on abs! There is a lot of ab work that also uses legs, for example, scissors, bicycle, etc. You can do thirty minutes of abs by changing the type of abdominal work you are doing and taking rests. If you want more help, let me know... I taught an ab class once and have an arsenal of tools!
  • BirdParrott
    BirdParrott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I got my whole office group to join me on steps today!
  • littlebarry
    littlebarry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Climbed 1,135 steps and walked / hiked 7.1 miles. I'm gonna feel it in the morning... :#
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @KatKat1209 Ouch get a pack of frozen peas on it to bring out the bruise it will ease the pain.
    BTW. It took me 8 mins to do your energizing morning workout thanks for posting it x
    happy that you like it - didn't do it this morning but after doing 2days in a row I really felt my butt :sweat_smile:
    For cardio when walking and such is out focus on abs! There is a lot of ab work that also uses legs, for example, scissors, bicycle, etc. You can do thirty minutes of abs by changing the type of abdominal work you are doing and taking rests. If you want more help, let me know... I taught an ab class once and have an arsenal of tools!

Thanks for offering! I will try the stationary bike today but if you don't mind you could share the abs workout? :blush:
  • 2016summerfun
    2016summerfun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Could you post the Abdominal workout please :)
  • iheartcookies2
    iheartcookies2 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    According to my fitbit I have climbed 8 floors on Monday and 28 on Tuesday. I live in a building with no elevator and at my workplace the only reason for using the elevator is if you broke your leg. Can someone help me converting that to steps?
    6yzf8wgn4g5k.jpg
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    According to my fitbit I have climbed 8 floors on Monday and 28 on Tuesday. I live in a building with no elevator and at my workplace the only reason for using the elevator is if you broke your leg. Can someone help me converting that to steps?
    6yzf8wgn4g5k.jpg

They said to use 12 steps per flight, so if you have 2 flights per floor then 24 per floor or adjust to how many flights are in each of your floors.
  • littlebarry
    Options
    Can't you just count them?
  • osche731
    Options
    They did say its about 73 flights.
  • littlebarry
    Options
    KatKat1209 wrote: »
    Sometimes I can't believe how clumsy I am... Tripped this morning while going down the stairs, managed to hold my balance but hurt my little toe doing that. It's swollen and hurts.. But hopefully it's not broken.. Can still walk (like a penguin) and move the toe a little. Trying to figure out which cardio exercises I can manage to do with that to be able to gather some minutes. Kickboxing is out for this week.
    Think the stationary bike will be manageable to get minutes and I can swim I think. But the stairs and walking challenge is probably out..
    For the beans - do you think a read bean bun (bun filled with sweet red bean paste) counts for beans?

Hope you're feeling better! Red bean bun sounds perfect!
  • rusgolden
    Options

The number of steps per flight or per floor varies a little bit. Someone mentioned 12, but at my work it was only 10 steps per flight or 20 per floor. It is hard to know how many steps the Fitbit thinks are in a floor, but I would say you were close to halfway to the goal.
  • iheartcookies2
    Options
    Can't you just count them?

I did yesterday and it was about 1356 steps, with yesterday's 11 floors. One of our floors (only one flight) at work has 44 steps, and Fitbit counted that as one which was quite interesting.
  • iheartcookies2
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

The number of steps per flight or per floor varies a little bit. Someone mentioned 12, but at my work it was only 10 steps per flight or 20 per floor. It is hard to know how many steps the Fitbit thinks are in a floor, but I would say you were close to halfway to the goal.

Fitbit works in mysterious ways sometimes. :D
  • MajorMusic13
    MajorMusic13 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm having a tough time with he spreadsheet. Can someone enter my minutes for the week so far?
    Monday: 160
    Tuesday: 200
    Wednesday: 95
    Thursday: 145
    I have to sync my Garmin to check my miles, but I definitely should have 13.1 complete by the end of the week, unless it all has to be done in one shot?
  • rusgolden
    Options
    I'm having a tough time with he spreadsheet. Can someone enter my minutes for the week so far?
    Monday: 160
    Tuesday: 200
    Wednesday: 95
    Thursday: 145
    I have to sync my Garmin to check my miles, but I definitely should have 13.1 complete by the end of the week, unless it all has to be done in one shot?

Got you covered... the 13.1 doesn't have to be done in one shot, but they said you shouldn't use fitness trackers to estimate the mileage since they can be somewhat inaccurate, so should use some sort of GPS tracking, etc. Not sure if the Garmin would be different or not since I'm sure it has a GPS function to it as well.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had my Ortho appointment this morning and the Dr says I have Bursitis which I think sounds like something an old man should have not me :(

Anyway he gave me a cortisone shot and prescribed stronger anti-inflammatory meds than I am currently on and I start physical therapy on July 11th.

I'm going to take at least the next 2 weeks off with no running ( I had already downgraded to very low mileage the last 4 weeks due to the pain) and have up to 4 weeks until I have to be back in training mode to be race ready for September. So fingers-crossed all this will work.

I am cleared to use the elliptical, stationary bike, weight lifting etc... so I'll still be getting my minutes and I'm going to look into pool running.

I'll knock out the remainder of my stairs challenge today and will complete the 13.1 challenge by Friday.

Have a great day everyone!