Looking for some opinions.

Options
CincyNeid
CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
About 2 years ago when I started losing weight I picked up a Specialized Pitch 650b Mountain Bike, and a Specialized Secteur road bike. Within two years I've gone from a 10-12mph [16kph-19.3kph] avg, to a 18-20mph [29kph-32kph] average on my road bike. Which I'm not complaining about. But I'm entertaining the idea of getting a more sport/performance driven bike.

Long story short I entered my first Crit as a Cat 5 racer and get a big ole fat DNF, got dropped in lap 8 of 30.

Before anyone jumps on the band wagon I know You Ride Up Grades, don't buy up grades. But I also fully understand that a the Specialized Secteur is not a Crit Bike by any stretch of the imagination.

After talking with my wife, who supports me 100%, I am thinking about hard core training over the remainder of this year, and the season to follow then jump back in the ring in 2018.

So the Reason I'm posting this is I'm eyeing the Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra, the Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultegra 4, The Specialized Allez DSW SL Comp, and the Trek Emonda ALR6.

So if it was your money, and you had to pick a performance minded steed which one would you go with in the $1,800 - $2,500 dollar range?

*All the bike models are Hyper Linked to their respective pages if you want to see specifics of each.

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    of the ones you linked, no question about it, Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultegra.

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ^^^^^ Agreed, I bought an Evo a few months back and was so impressed with it I bought another as a second racer, during it's 3,725km ridden so far it's been a beautiful ride, love the Cannondale Si FSA chainsets too, mechanically sound and had zero issues with it so far.

The only thing the Cannondale falls down on is the wheels and the tyres which are easily upgraded but that's the same with most bikes in that price range, a nice set of Fulcrum Racing 3s does the trick and you'll gain a couple of kph, however that's my personal experience.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    most bikes in that price range basically come with "winter/training" wheels rather than "race day" (I'll use the phrase race day, but it could be "sunday best", "sportive specials" or just "Posh Summer" depending on you're approach to riding) wheels...

it's sort of understandable really, lots of people will already have a set of "Race Day" wheels from the prior bike - or, they may want a specific type of race wheel depending on their physique, their riding terrain, the type of races they're going to enter... Race day wheels for someone who's 80kg rides lots of Time Trials and Short Course Criteriums are probably going to be deep section aero rims like Zipp 404's - someone who's got a summer of riding the Mountainous Grand Fondo's and who weighs in at 65kg wet through is likely to be in the market for Dura-Ace C24's... The more money you spend on wheels, the more specific they start getting...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    So if it was your money, and you had to pick a performance minded steed which one would you go with in the $1,800 - $2,500 dollar range?

If this was my budget and my goal was to start competing in (and winning) bike races, I'd buy a power meter, and hire a coach.

You can get a PT hub built into just about any wheelset you like for your budget, and kill two birds with one stone.
  • CincyNeid
    Options

If this was my budget and my goal was to start competing in (and winning) bike races, I'd buy a power meter, and hire a coach.

You can get a PT hub built into just about any wheelset you like for your budget, and kill two birds with one stone.

Okay. My problem would still remain. Now I have the training, and a PM. But no bike to race. the Specialized Secteur is a Alloy version of the Specialized Roubaix. It's a very compliant endurance bike. Not to mention is has a 2x8 Shimano Calais grouppo on it. It'sn ot a razor sharp Crit/Sport/Performance bike buy any stretch.

TheBigYin wrote: »
    most bikes in that price range basically come with "winter/training" wheels rather than "race day" (I'll use the phrase race day, but it could be "sunday best", "sportive specials" or just "Posh Summer" depending on you're approach to riding) wheels...

it's sort of understandable really, lots of people will already have a set of "Race Day" wheels from the prior bike - or, they may want a specific type of race wheel depending on their physique, their riding terrain, the type of races they're going to enter... Race day wheels for someone who's 80kg rides lots of Time Trials and Short Course Criteriums are probably going to be deep section aero rims like Zipp 404's - someone who's got a summer of riding the Mountainous Grand Fondo's and who weighs in at 65kg wet through is likely to be in the market for Dura-Ace C24's... The more money you spend on wheels, the more specific they start getting...

Yea. That's one reason I'm looking at bikes in the 1500-2600 dollar range so I can have a little cash to play with on wheels after I get my bike and get some miles on it. I've been looking heavily into the Reynolds R Fours.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    ^^^^^ Agreed, I bought an Evo a few months back and was so impressed with it I bought another as a second racer, during it's 3,725km ridden so far it's been a beautiful ride, love the Cannondale Si FSA chainsets too, mechanically sound and had zero issues with it so far.

The only thing the Cannondale falls down on is the wheels and the tyres which are easily upgraded but that's the same with most bikes in that price range, a nice set of Fulcrum Racing 3s does the trick and you'll gain a couple of kph, however that's my personal experience.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into those.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would lean toward the CAAD 12 or one of the other Aluminum frames (I do like Cannondale). Not to douse water on your fire but those Aluminum frames are much cheaper to replace. You will hit the deck a couple of times I can almost guarantee.
    The main difference in ride between carbon and aluminum is carbon is a little more comfortable over distance. If you want to be a Crit racer you're going to be doing short high intensity workouts. Save the difference for the wheels everyone is talking about ??
    And I would not worry too much about waiting and training a year to go get back in a race. Race yourself into shape. You should be hanging with the group pretty quick. Doing the actual race is the best training you can get.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    I would lean toward the CAAD 12 or one of the other Aluminum frames (I do like Cannondale). Not to douse water on your fire but those Aluminum frames are much cheaper to replace. You will hit the deck a couple of times I can almost guarantee.

I don't have an issue with Aluminum. All three of my bikes are Aluminum. In fact the CAAD12 did when the Bicycling Magazine Bike of the Year. It's still a superb bike.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Okay. My problem would still remain. Now I have the training, and a PM. But no bike to race. the Specialized Secteur is a Alloy version of the Specialized Roubaix. It's a very compliant endurance bike. Not to mention is has a 2x8 Shimano Calais grouppo on it. It'sn ot a razor sharp Crit/Sport/Performance bike buy any stretch.

Well, you have a road bike to race on. I'm not trying to argue, but please consider how many seconds you'll save over a crit from a new frame? I think you'd buy more speed by putting your money into aero wheels than into a different frame. You'll get bigger speed gains from a power meter than a new frame though. And you can bring it with you to your next bike when the time comes. But for now I bet things like pacing and fitness (both are things a PM are great for) will get you bigger gains than a different bike.

It's your decision, I'm just offering some advice based on experience and based on the assumption that you want to win races.

Can totally understand wanting a newer/better bike though. :smile: Of the ones you're looking at, I'll say I was disappointed with the SuperSix and kind of liked the Emonda.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    The main difference in ride between carbon and aluminum is carbon is a little more comfortable over distance. If you want to be a Crit racer you're going to be doing short high intensity workouts. Save the difference for the wheels everyone is talking about ??
    And I would not worry too much about waiting and training a year to go get back in a race. Race yourself into shape. You should be hanging with the group pretty quick. Doing the actual race is the best training you can get.

I missed the "Crit" racing part - certainly, if it's going to be primarily a Crit bike, then go for the Caad12 - it'll take the knocks much better than a carbon one, cheaper to replace when (not if) some cockwomble falls off onto you and busts a stay for you, and over a "hour and a lap" you're not going to give a damn about the comfort aspect - it's all about the speed. My recommendations came from a more "mixed" racing approach that reflects the fact that there's probably more opportunities for racing in the UK on longer course stuff - even the "lap" courses are more "Kermesse" than "Criterium" (say 5-10km per lap for 10-20 laps, rather than 1-2km a lap for a hour at a time) so training tends to encompass slightly longer durations than a more focussed short-course program would - hence caring a little more about comfort.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I recently got a CAAD12 105 and am beyond impressed with it. It's spec'd/priced as well if not better than anything else like it, and the ride in outstanding. My everyday bike is a Specialized Roubaix, but the CAAD12 is a more impressive bike, IMO.

If it were me, I'd buy the CAAD12 in a second. Maybe not if I were looking to spend $3000+, but with a budget of $2000, I don't think anything can beat it. And you'll have a little money left for tires, wheels, saddle, or whatever else you want to tweak on it.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I recently got a CAAD12 105 and am beyond impressed with it. It's spec'd/priced as well if not better than anything else like it, and the ride in outstanding. My everyday bike is a Specialized Roubaix, but the CAAD12 is a more impressive bike, IMO.

You think the Ultrega Edition is worth the extra money compared to the 105?
  • jacksonpt
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

You think the Ultrega Edition is worth the extra money compared to the 105?

MSRP is $1680 vs $2240 (assuming non-disc models of each).
    Ultegra model gets you ultegra derailleurs, shifters, and brakes, with Askium Elite wheels.
    105 models gets you 105 derailleurs and shifters, Tektro brakes, and Askium wheels.

IMO, I'd rather put that extra $600 into better wheels. I don't think there's a meaningful difference to the average rider between Ultegra and 105 drivetrains. I'd rather have the 105 bike with Flos compared to the ultegra bike with budget Mavics. Heck, if you're patient you can probably find a deal on used zipps or heds for that extra $600.
  • CincyNeid
    edited July 2016
    Options
    After talking to my wife she's okay with my dropping the cash on the Renyolds R Four wheels and the CAAD12 105. But she request that I wait for our Tax Refund. Which means, as a d@mn yankee, will be around spring time before I get it.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Nice!